Still having symptoms
Back in August, I asked about any possible causes for the sun-burn sensation I am experiencing all over my body.  I'm fine except for the burning sensations - no fever, no weakness or tiredness, no rashes, no signs on my skin that would give a clue that anything is wrong.  My neurologist wants to do an EMG test.  Could this test reveal a cause of my burning sensation?  

Thank you,

Dorinda.

Original post:

In Feb. 2008 I noticed an intense burning on my inner thighs one evening.  By the next day I had a horrible burning sensation all over my entire body.  (Bottoms of my feet, legs, arms, head, hands, eyes, even my throat)  After about a week the sensation got a little less severe.  I would rate the worst at a level 10, so bad I wanted to die.  Now, it ranges from about a 5 to a 1;  3 to 5 level of pain is more common.  When it gets to a level one it only lasts about 1 day and then it elevates back to a 4 or 5. The level 1 pain only happens about once a month.   I've had vitamin deficiency tests done and it's all negative, food allergy testing done and all negative, environmental allergy tests and all negative.  All these tests were done through blood work.  I also did a urine test with a 24 hour collection of urine and that test was negative.  I went to a neurologist and he wants to do a test (I've forgotten the name of the test) where he puts probes in my left arm and left leg then sends an electrical current through the probes to see how my muscles react.  I have not done this test.  Does anyone know why my skin feels like it's burning?
it appears ur dr thinks that ur nerves r not transmitting the "electric pulses" completely....hence the EMG.....if there is a block this test will find it...and is probably  the cause of the burning sensations u feel......just a guess on my part...had the EMG..to test for similar reasons....I did not burn...mine is numbness.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
Thanks for your reply.  I will probably get the EMG test.  I need help.

Kind regards,

Dorinda :)
I have burning sensations throughout my body.  Had the EMG done, it was normal.  My neuro says that it may be small fiber neuropathy and that further testing needs to be done.  I have been referred to a university hospital to undergo a skin biopsy and additonal testing.  If it is SFN a EMG won't show anything.  The EMG only tests the large fibers.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for writing in.
Yes EMG test is very useful in diagnosing peripheral neuropathy, nerve dysfunctions, myasthenia gravis, and spinal stenosis. All these conditions can cause burning sensation in the skin and also give abnormal results on EMG testing.
Hope this helps!