Neurology Community
Strange Head Sensation and symptoms - Migraine/epilepsy/something else?...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Strange Head Sensation and symptoms - Migraine/epilepsy/something else?

If you could take the time to read this and then give me your thoughts, hopefully some new theory could emerge:

it all started abouth 2 years ago, when I was lying in bed in the morning and in that 'about to get up' and 'still drowsy, lying in' stage I would have an odd sensation in my head. Sort of like a head rush, but more overpowering. How I would imagine a seizure to feel like if it was only in the frontal lobe of the brain (and not in the rest of the body).When awake I would never have these, and they happened very very rarely.

The next stage was when I was sitting down at the computer, and I experienced the same sort of sensation as above, but while i was awake. and much much less intense. again this happened rarely.

After this they became more frequent when awake. Then after a weekend Drinking with friends, the 'Hangover' was not regular headache, but these "odd rushes" (that sometimes feel like a flutter above the eyes, but sometimes feel like a muscle cotraction starting off softly contracting then intenselt contracting then softly then finish). These would happen once every 20 seconds. then next stage after having these frequent 'rush' feelings I gradually began to see vast amounts of eye floaters and eye flashes. untill flashes seemed permanent. Muscles would twitch a lot. I will get a feeling of swaying within my own head, even if Im not swaying physically. sometimes when a 'rush' occurs i feel as if my head is pulled backward. Sometimes as if one side of my brain is heavy, then the other side becomes heavy etc. I catch myself starring into space often, just at one place, losing focus and 'looking through' the object. and I feel withdrawn from things at the moment, as if I have no emotional attachment to them, I just see the things, as if I cant properly absorb the information (another example is - recalling past events, but the normal emotion that goes with memories doesnt seem to  be there). Would have some cold patches appear all around my body, like pins and needles, but feels almost like very fine cold water on small patches of skin. NONE OF THIS IS PAINFUL

(* Note - the word rush is not at all like a head rush when getting up. feels more electrical, or muscular orientated)

Lately Im having the suspicion that the 'rush' feeling has a connection to my eyes, sometimes my eyes shake when one comes about. eyes are never drawn up to the skull like in a fit. This correlates with the eye flash disturbance etc. Some Optic Nerve abnormality, or due to the swaying feeling possibly some brain stem problem (which is the center for eye and ear nerves). Or Epilepsy.

I went to many Doctors (6 or 7) and all of them had no idea. saying it could be some sort of migraine. No tear in the retina. Epilepsy hasnt ever come up. symptoms are always described as strange.  

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, or if anybody has similar symptoms.

Additional information about me - my posture (neck) is a little hunched, could this be causing some sort of tension that causes the above? I use the computer a lot. never had a serious illness. have smoked marijuana before. not a lot though. did binge drink, but havnt since symptoms

EMAIL - ***@****

hi woody
i also have had head waves. i explain them like the feeling you get when you hit your funny bone. seem to come and go for only a second , and usually happens when i raise my shoulders and arms or bend my head back or forward. also happen when i almost trip aor are surprised . been going on for almost 2 years, been to u of m and other neur docs. also have ocular rosea, never thought they were connected. good luck make sure you get mri of brain and all the tests you can , dont give up .
I have suffered from migraines for many years I can trace it as far back as when I was thirteen and who knows maybe even earlier.  In my late twenties I became aware that Onions or the smell of onions or anything in the onion family triggered a migraine event for me.  This excludes garlic which are also part of the migraine family so I am told. And, I too have had this "rush" like sensation going through my brain.  It is almost like the blood vessels are opening up then finally going back to normal lasting less then a minute.  It is not at all an uncomfortable feeling and is almost a euphoric sensation.  The duration is brief and usually repeats several times.  I am a 45 year old male and have been tracking this for many years now as they always preceed a severe migriane headache within 12 hours.
Do you get an almost euphoric kind of "whoosh whoosh whoosh" rush in your head with each wave correlating with eye movements? Cause I keep getting that feeling and my eyes will kinda wiggle and I get a bit dizzy.. I haven't found anyone else who talks about this. None of it hurts, but I can lose my balance a little if it happens when I'm walking. The phenomenon seems to come in waves, I won't experience it for weeks or months, and then it'll just pop up and happen multiple times daily for week or two.
Hi, I am new to this forum, and I am having these same type of wierd sensations...it's almost hard to describe even to my neurologist unless you've had it.  I have had neck and back surgery within last 8 months.  Just 3 months ago, out of the blue, I started getting severe, daily, migrain etype headcaches.  So bad, I went to my opthamologist, he said maybe cluster headaches etc.  My neck surgeon said not related to my neck.  Finally, they got so bad, the migraines and these weird sensation, like your brain is numb for a few seconds, like and electric numbing, it doesn't hurt, but can be bothersome, and I too get out of sorts, can't think when these happen.  So, I am seeing a neurologist, had a brain MRI couple weeks ago, having spinal tap in 2 weeks, many lesions in my brain areas, she says I might  have MS, snall vessel stroke disease, or something else, waiting for spinal tap.  I am on neurontin, 3 weeks now, headacjes, improved, but the head sensations have not, in fact, Sunday night they wre so bad, I dropped a glass cause it threw my thoughts off.  Last night, they happened almost all night and I couldn't sleep.  Sometimes I do get a headache or "head pains" small aches, little stabs all over, but not as bad as before.  But these wierd sensations I really bothering me.  I am actually going back to neurologist today to talk more about it.  But I know what you mean, it's like a numbing, wave type of sensation and I actually hear a noise in my head when it happens, almost undescribeable, like if your brain was shaking lightly, or a current wave type of thing.  I told my doctor and she said it's not numbing but tingling, but it's not exactly tingling either....it last seconds, goes away, comes back sometimes 3 or 4 quick sensations, then goes away for an hour or two or longer or I can have episodes of almost constant with a few seconds inbetween or almost nothing inbetween. like 3 flashes of this sensation in a row.

Anyones input is helpful.  The MS keeps coming up w/ the doctor, but not sure if this is a symptom of MS or not.....?  I'll see what comes back with spinal tap.
Hello i have been having these strange wavelike sensations as well. They are occurring quite frequently.... I have recently stopped taking an anti depressant... but even when i did take it, i would get them...

its a really strange sensation that is very difficult to describe. A wavelike sensation through my head is the best i can do. There is usually an audible accompaniment to it. I can hear a weird wavelike surge in both ears when it occurs.

This thing isn't painful but it bothers me. It really makes me confused and concerned.. and it happens everyday...
Hi there everyone. Every day I love the internet more for the way people can get together "without getting together". Here I am with my wierd sensations in my head. I've had them now for about 6 years. They recently came back and are worrying. I sleep alot and thankfully they don't affect my sleep. I do not get headaches often but these strange, hard-to-describe-to-anyone sensations are so real.  

At first my started out as if someone has poured a thick liquid over the top of my head and the liquid is slowly running down my head. These days the feeling is more inside my head. If feels like I want to get a headache but not quite. Quite scary. I've been to the doctor once and all he did was to prescribe something for me without running any tests. I didn't buy the medication of course as I thought it was crazy of him to prescribe something for me without doing tests first.
i too have been experiencing these strange whoosh,,whoosh, feelings for the the past 9 months or so. i am kinda worried about them as the frequencies and severity of them are getting a bit worse. almost electrical in feeling but they are kinda disorienting. friends have suggested i have my inner ears looked at. i have had an MRI done about a month or so ago and i haven't heard anything negative about it, so i too am clueless about this. i really wish someone could help me as i am kinda scared...
I'm female - early 30's and glad I'm nt alone in this brain numbing event.
I like the OP suffered from what I could only describe as 'odd' wave like sensations making me feel ... well... lop-sided
I've been to see a neurologist due to another few incidents where I had a demi seizure of somekind (I had seemingly 'passed out' without being unconsious - eyes wide & pie eyed, as was aware of what was going on but couldn't move or respond to any external stimuli in any way) which he's linked to what he beleives is migrains, CT / MRI scan normal, nothing sets these episodes off and they're as random as random can get.

As for these 'wave' sensations, another way to perhaps describe them for me is - remember the time in school after lunch where you were in class, bored, warm and wanted to go to sleep? you could almost 'nod off', the wave would creep up and you'd be ready to fall asleep in an instant given a pillow... but the wave would CRASH and you'd jolt awake... a bit like that only without the 'omg I want to sleep' bit.
I can be wide awake, sitting, lying down, walking around and this sensation of being tipped without physically moving is so overwhelming its indescribable (although I'd tried)
Sometimes I'll get a high pitched whine during or after these 'wave' episodes. Sometimes my hearing will go very muffled & or be accompanied with a high kettle whistle noise.
I do not suffer from tinnitus

Don't drink or smoke, not overweight (prolly too skinny) am a lazy moo and don't exercise as much as perhaps I should

on doing digging of my own I'm wondering if its one of the following:
1) Migraine related..
2) Inner ear imbalance..
3) Vertigo
4) mix of all of the above
5) Sommit else
(6) alien invasion - improbable but I thought we could all do with a chuckle)

Food for thought?
Hey everybody,
  I also started having these same sensations.  Mine became noticable to me in the past 2 years.  I have had MRI's, CT Scans, Sinus Surgery,  Eye exams, Allergy Tests, Weight issues, high blood pressure checks, cholesterol, Neck and back exams, neourologists, and so on, Psycological (ie...antidepressants, anxiety) this is what it eventually comes to when all the doctors don't have a clue...I eventually became depressed trying to solve my medical issues that I created issues, .  I think I have thought of every possible problem to attempt what could poosibly be wrong and self anyalized every possible issue with myself.  I nor the doctors still haven't got a dang clue what is wrong.  I don't know what this is....with mine it is strong when I move my eyes hard in any direction, I feel and hear the same sensations, waves or whooshes as all of you do.  My eyes burn like I was swimming all day, My eyesight is strange...can't focus, starring etc.... It interferes with daily life so much I sometimes only think of this and have problems doing daily activities. Well, I am just trying to move on and make it part of my life.  It would be great to meet-up with a doctor who can figure it out.   Let me know your thoughts...Randy
I too am getting these weird swoosh sensations in  my head. I also get headaches with this. I also feel like my legs want to give way.
I hate this too. I wonder does anyone know if EMF's could be an underlying cause? Just trying t figure it all out. Also see this link, the Government has these towers and so does other countries. Soe beleiev they are trying to control the weather by bending the troposphere upwards to make the wind and cloud patterns go up instead of hitting us. Just another thought, who knows.
http://www.haarp.net/mindcontrol.htm
I experience the same thing quite a lot actually. I think it is Cortical Spreading Depression (CSD), which happens in people that have migraine with aura. It's an electric current feeling going along the surface of your brain. It happens when the neurons depolarize. Anyway, they say this happens right before the aura starts but I get this feeling all the time. Sometimes before a migraine sometimes not. I had a really bad migraine 5 days ago and have been getting these weird sensations a lot on the left side of my brain. My migraines are always on the left side.
I share this "whoosh" symptom w/ all of you - now for about 5 wks.  The research I've done tells me this is likely due to having been sick - I had a nasty virus about 6 wks ago.  When I was starting to feel better this whooshy head symptom began.  I found information that says when one has been recently sick, or fighting a viral upper respiratory infection, it can infect the inner ear and cause "Labyrinthitis" - an inflammation of the inner ear affecting balance and hearing issues/loss (temporary, sometimes permanent).  In my case, my hearing is unaffected and this is called "Vestibular Neuronitis".  In both conditions, the eyes can be affected w/ quick, jerking back and forth movements.  These conditions can be caused by central nervous system disorders as well -- MS, etc.  I'm really hoping mine goes away soon - it's unsettling!  If it doesn't I will be re-visiting my doc to ensure nothing more serious is going on.  Good luck everyone!
Intro: 25 years old, male, occasional migraines

I've been having similar odd sensations for the past two and a half years. I've had a CT scan, MRI, EEG, and echocardiogram. No strokes, no tumors, no epilepsy, and no abnormalities in the heart. Everything appears to be normal, but I still get these sensations. The responses on this page are the most accurate I've ever found: a very difficult-to-describe sensation, like a wave going through my brain, sometimes through my entire body. Completely painless. Sometimes, this sensation is also accompanied by a visual phenomenon. The first time I ever had such an episode, I was sitting in my bedroom. Then out of nowhere, I saw a very vivid image of a sunny, grassy valley with little pine trees dotting the landscape. The image lasted for half a second at the most, and when it vanished I saw my room again. It was very confusing, and whenever I get these visual disturbances I get tricked into thinking I'm somewhere else for a second or two. More often, though, it's just a "whoosh" sensation. Very, very difficult to describe. Not sure what to make of it.
hi just wondering if anyone has been getting these sensations in there head tht would last for a fortnight at a time the sensation is burning at the back of the head but a nerve sensation at the top of my head.my head would sometimes be really sensitive to noise or by touch when i would wash my hair also sometimes you would think that there is something twisting around in the top of my head and when this happens i would get this nausea feeling and then i could go to sleep afterwards...could someone please tell me if they have ever experienced any of these symptons
WOW and here I was thinking im the only one with this wierd hard to explain feeling in my head. Ive had it for 3yrs now.

To me  it feels as if waves of blood was splashing around in my head.
Have you ever held sea shells up against your ears at the beach? you know that echo-y sound you hear? thats the wooshing sensation I feel in my head, only stronger. It is very uncomfortable. and since they are always acompanied by headaches, theyre painful too. I get dizzy spells & nausea.

Ive had ct scans and MRI done to no avail.  Dr says its migraines/vertigo due to stress.

Has anyone had an actual diagnosis on these symptoms? If so what was recommended?

***@****
I had these too. I went to the doctor and asked for an MRI They found my problem. I had to have brain surgery. I am fine now. What ever you do don't give up keep going back till you find out what is wrong. And don't feel bashfull in asking for the doctors for certian tests. It is your body. You know it best, and you have to take the lead. I wish you the best. I just found this web sight so I hope all is well.
omg i cant believe i found other people that have this.. i am actually about to cry.. i felt so alone.. it feels like no one else on earth has this whooshing feeling.. thank god im not alone.. it is the hardest thing ever to try to describe to a doctor or anyone for that matter.. but i have been to so many doctors and they all look at me like im crazy .. it first started about 2 years ago they had me on anti-anxiety meds and when i wanted to get off of them it started doing it. it lasted for about 1 year after i quit taking Cymbalta and now it coming back again.. i dont take any meds at all for fear of it happening but here it is.. again!! i just dont know what to do. its not painful but at the same time its SCARY! i need help with this and i cant find help anywhere.. they all just say well you have migraines.. so its got to be something with that.. i dont think it is.. i think its something in MY BRAIN. it just hit me out of no where.. ill just be sitting there and i go to move my head or eyes and it does it.. tingly whooshing feeling and sound. for no reason at all.. i dont understand what it is .. i have researched and this is the only thing i have found on it.. if anyone finds out what it truly is or whats causing it please email me..  ***@**** i dont even care if my email is out there i just need answers.
Perhaps the Cymbalta is the culprit.  After stopping Pristiq about a month ago, my brain whooshes were pretty intense.  Doc seemed surprised that any symptoms would arise from this drug.  The sensations have dropped off somewhat, but, after a month, still are there in cycles.  I never had these sensations prior to Pristiq, hope they go away with the effects of the med.  Please repost if you find any new information.
Hello everyone. I just recently have been experiencing these SAME symptoms. I'm quite concerned and nervous. Yes, it is very hard to explain. I tell my husband that it feels as though I have a quick "tourette" episode inside my head, behind my eyes or something. It's a weird wave like sensation for like 1 second every 15 min or so. You can't see it when it happens but it almost feels like it should be noticable to outsiders. My question for everyone is. What types of medications does everyone take. I'm wondering it they're having a long term adverse side effect. I take Celexa and Lithium. Anyone else take any of these or a similar medication?
Hi, My name is LaVina. I'm 19 and a college student. I've recently been diagnosed with daily chronic migraines by my neurologist but I'm not quite sure thats what I have. I too have been having these weird sensations in my head. At first I thought they would wear off but they've consistent for the past month. If I'm not having the sensations there is alot of pressure around my head. Also like woody198900 said " Sometimes as if one side of my brain is heavy, then the other side becomes heavy etc. I catch myself starring into space often, just at one place, losing focus and 'looking through' the object. and I feel withdrawn from things at the moment, as if I have no emotional attachment to them, I just see the things, as if I cant properly absorb the information." I'm having the same symptoms. I've had a CT scan but it came out normal. I've also tried having a MRI but while I was in the process of having one I became extremely dizzy & felt like my head was spinning so I had to stop. My neurologist also prescribed I take Nortriptyline because it may help. I've only been taking it for a couple days but I haven't seen much improvement. I also seen a eye doctor & got glasses which seem to help decrease the pressure in front of my face. I'm glad I'm not the only person having these type of symptoms because I really thought I was the only one. If any one has suggestions on what I should do or what type of Meds may help please let me know  
I don't know if the original poster is still on the site, but it is possible you have Lyme Disease.  The dizzy, detached, zoned out feelings, eye floaters and flashes, cold spots, worse effects of alcohol, and muscle twitches are all on the symptom list.  While many people with Lyme get sore joints and muscles, quite a few do not (like me), which often leaves us undiagnosed for a long time.  

It is very much an infection of the brain and nerves, causing strange and varied symptoms that might not seem related to each other, like digestion problems and shortness of breath (I have both due to 10th cranial nerve infection).  Many have light sensitivity or ringing in the ears.  Many of the symptoms come and go, which can also be confusing for doctor and patient.

There is much controversy over the disease, from definition to testing to treatment.  Many people with Lyme test negative. Unfortunately, this is often used to exclude Lyme, which it should not. A Lyme Literate Medical Doctor (LLMD) is your best bet as such a doctor knows the disease well, and can make a clinical diagnosis.

There's a good symptom list in this document.
http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf
i have this too
i even experience this sensation in mt sleep
i have these experiences too
i usually describe it like when the power flickers out for a moment and then rushes back.  it's not painful, but disconcerting.  
it happens in my sleep as well.  the sensations seem to integrate into my dreams but i am usually startled or so uncomfortable from it that it wakes me and i am usually still experiencing the sensations.
i take antidepressants, and i travel a lot for work, so i find myself being without my medication for a couple days.  i tend to experience this sensation more frequently when i am stuck without my meds for a few days.  however, i do get the sensations when i am regularly taking my meds, just not as frequently.   it does make me weak, but not so much physically weak, more like it is harder to concentrate and maintain balance,  and it scares me, so i take more care.  i work in design and manufacturing so i get a bit scared to be around the machinery when i get these "attacks".  i call them attacks because they occur so frequently in a day and the episodes last for a few days, that i can not or am afraid to perform normal tasks while experiencing them out of fear of passing out, hurting myself, etc.  
no docs have been able to explain it either.  
i do tend to have b12 deficiencies and when i'm receiving regular shots it seems to help, but i had a shot within 12 days and i am experiencing them now,  many times through out the day.  so much so that i stayed in bed.

the sensation leaves me with a bit of a druggy feeling.  i really feel like i could collapse when i have so many episodes in one day's time.  even if i am in bed all day...

Im not sure if i'm experiencing the same sensation as you all, but let me know if anyone has had the following:

- Woosh type feeling- similar to a headrush, but can happen when sitting, driving (anytime really).
- Feels like a screenshot where you just pause for a second whilst your brain catches up? (if that makes sense?)
- Doesnt occur when I'm sleeping
- It lasts around 3 seconds
- Not painful

- A year ago I had this numerous sensation that if I turned to far to my left/right Id get this exact feeling but worse- almost like I was going to faint, but never did.

* Im not on medication, 26, dont experience migranes (migraines).

Would love to hear any feedback
I was wondering about the same condition, i got it last night for the first time and it was quite strange but oddly intriguing as well, it seemed to occur when i was heavily breathing trying to fall asleep, a strange warm feeling around the heart as if it had started beating a lot faster which worried me at first so i would snap out of it. Then a really severe one happened which involved a really bright light flashing in my vision and a loud snapping sound, that sounded like electricity or something, and that lasted less than a second and scared me half to death. When i realised that it was heavy breathing that caused it, i started to use a mediation technique I've been practicing recently to try and trigger it. It kept scaring me at first when i was able to trigger the sensation, so i had to really pluck up courage to make it last longer, eventually i was ale to make it last about 3 seconds, and the effects seemed to increase quite dramatically. Everything in the room i was in, especially the object i was focused on, began shaking quite badly. I was in a pitch black room and things started to flash red and green almost in a 3d kind of style, with the images kind of bouncing around on top of each other. I am going to try and reach further into the sensation but i am a bit skeptical. Overall the feeling i feel is actually quite pleasant, almost quite relaxing, but so alien to me that I'm scared if i take it too far it will kill me. Sound like you are having similar issues so any input advice would be appreciated. Also it felt like a really significant 'realisation' happened on the night just before i went to bed, almost a change of thought process or a better understanding of my life.. cheers for reading!
hello iam 27 years old and for the past 2 months, my head has felt really odd. I went to the hospital and had a cat scan and everything was normal. So i was given some meds for vertigo, but it didnt do anything for me. well i was staying worried and aggravated over the way i was feeling and my blood pressure went up and now im on meds for that. My doctor seems to think it has something to do with my blood pressure, but i know it dont. This started way before my blood pre went up. Its just the craziest feeling, i feel like my head is just shacking and like my brain is gonna bust. It gets worse at night time when i lay down. I have trouble going 2 sleep. If any one has felt like this can you please let me know, thank you.
I have been having these same strange things happen for 2 years now and I have finally figured out what it is. They are -Complex Partial Seizures-  the Dr. diagnosed me with epilepsy. please look into it and see if it is the same thing you are going through.  http://www.epilepsy.com/Epilepsy/seizure_complexpartial
This is weird, I have just come across this page while finally (it's taken me 12 years) trying to work out why I get these "eye whooshes" as I call them.

Basically if my eyes move right or left quite suddenly I hear a whooshing noise in my ears with a bit of a weird sensation across my ears too.  It's amazing to find out just how often my eyes move suddenly to one side rather than gradually.  Does anyone have a name for this?

I do get migraines, however, I've only had this eye whooshing since having a complete breakdown and being put on antidepressants.
I have been on a anti depressant for little more than 3 months, I got terrible skin rashes/ulcers/break outs.... and these pills were the only thing different in my day to day intake... So I decided to stop using them. Ever since then I have also been experiencing this funny feeling in/over my brain: I would explain it as follows: It is as if a electric wave/shock goes over my brain, sometimes as far as into my arms, it is as if I press my tongue on a battery, you know that kind off feeling.... And when this happens, I am off balance and emotionally unstable.... If someone should just say something wrong or upset me in any way, I will explode in tears or either get aggressive.... I am seeing my doctor tomorrow. Has there been others that also experienced this when they left there anti depressants and what did the dr say?
Not to sound like a parrot but I am so pleased to have found this page. I too have these feelings that you all describe and I am so pleased to have found a community that can share their experiences.

After reading all the comments I have to wonder if it is to do with not taking anti anxiety/depression meds. I take citalopram (2mg everyday) and I have not been able to afford my prescription this last week - and all this has started.

I will get my prescription this weekend and hope that this sensation stops. It is scary and disconcerting, my heart can beat fast and loud, my eyes unfocus, I see things that aren't there, my eyes feel strange and of curse my brain. As if someone is switching me off for a second. Part of me thinks   that one time it will switch off for good but I just want it to stop!

I hope to hear some more diagnoses and think I should go to a doctor about this if going back on my meds doesn't help.
thank you
God that is exactly what happens to me. I was thinking that perhaps I had a clot traveling round my body and when it went through my head I had that weird, euphoric and sureal feeling, probably no longer than 5 seconds, then it would clear as if though it had passed through a restricted blood vessel. It seems the majority of us experiencing this also suffer migraine too, I suffer with a severe migraine every 4-6 months.  It scared the life out of me the first time and I sat bolt upright in bed reaching for my mobile to call for the ambulance but as these are very short lived experiences there was no need. It's nice to know it isn't just me.
Oh wow, does no one know what's causing this?  For me, it has been going on for the past two days and mostly happens when I'm lying down.  My vision will get sort of clouded and my ears woosh like crazy for just a couple seconds, and sometimes the woosh will be very strong.  It makes my body spasm a bit.  It leaves me tingly and a bit weak.  When I smoke (cigarettes) it isn't as bad.  Right now I can't sleep because the wooshes are happening so frequently.  I just started taking Viibryd (a new anti-depressant) a few weeks ago, and I also take Lamictal and Seroquel.  For the past couple nights I haven't been able to take the Seroquel (ran out).  I am also a migraine sufferer (complete with auras and speech disturbances).  That seems to be the common denominator among the majority of us.
Wow, I can't believe so many people are experiencing this.
I too was on an anti-depressant Prozac stopped taking it more than a month ago and the last few days have been having these head rushes with the whooshing sensation and sound in my ears. It is very disorientating and slightly dizzying But Dizzy doesn't quite describe very well. It's more like loosing focus. This seems to be connected to the anti depressants. I'm a real mess right now because this is continuous all day and I can not focus on even reading a book. I'm currently on sick leave but have to back to work in a few weeks and I'm worried because I don't think I will be able to perform if this doesn't go away. If any one has any answers please email me.
I haven't gone to a doctor yet but from what everyone is saying they don't help anyway.
Please contact me if you have an answer
  diana enns at shaw dot ca
I have the same thing and I'm so glad to find a group of others who have something similar.  Mine happens to the frontal lobe on the left side. Feels like a flutter, surge, or a slight vibration, and then I get a wave of nausea and feel very tired for the rest of the day.  Had an MRI, found a narrowing of something in my ear, but nothing else.  This feeling lasts only a few seconds, and I am awake and aware, but can't stop it.  I am anemic, 43 and female.  Wish I knew what it was.
I have these too. They started with Lexapro about 6 years ago. But there is no pain, no headaches, no seizures, no interference at all. Just the whoosh whoosh whooshes in my head. I think of it as all the synapses in my brain firing at once. Nothing changed except starting Lexapro, it slowed down when I went off it, but came back with a vengeance when I started Prozac years later. It's definitely caused by antidepressants/ anti anxiety. I don't worry too much about them, in fact this is the first time I googled it in those 6 years. Happy to see I'm not the only one!
I just started getting these yesterday. I am not on meds, I do not have migraines, I am not sick. I am 45 and am perfectly healthy as far as I know.

From no where, I can be sitting, standing, reading, or whatever and all of a sudden I get that woosh. It feels like its in the back of my head, it does not hurt, i can feel strange vibration in my ears. Just like some one above said, that feeling like when you are just about to fall asleep and something wakes you and you are confused and disoriented for a second. Its a shock/surprise feeling like suddenly awakened, but does not last more than a few seconds. It makes me dizzy but not enough to fall, it makes me feel like I could pass out, but I don't. Its so odd.

I did experience the eye twitch.... the eyeballs moving side to side quickly. Again it only lasts a few seconds.

What is this?
Not that I can give any help or explanation - but I was amazed to read this as I have had EXACTLY this for years - I always called it like a 'shivering' through my Brain.....  No explanation forthcoming from Doctors however, I did start taking Meds for General Anxiety and the 'shivering' went away - not had it since UNTIL ... about a week ago, I decide I did not want to keep taking the Anxiety Meds  ( I think they may have contributed to my inability to lose weight - or indeed gain weight)... so I thought I will substitute St. John's Wort ( a natural remedy ) for the Cipramex....
Within 2 days of stopping the Cipramex, the 'shivering' is back...after these years...
Is more intense when I move my head side to side - like if I suddenly look to my right or left....I get wave after wave...then settles.....
I have no explanation but I hope that one day, somebody will........

Still, I'm thankful to know I am not alone,,,,,,not much consolation to you however........
Wow - I just posted on this and saw your message and your symptoms are so close to mine - it;s uncanny.... and reading some of the other posts - there are lots of similarities... Interesting on one post to read that when they were taking Citalopram (Cipramil not Cimpramex as I said in last post)... they still had the symptoms whereas I lost the symptoms until I stopped taking the Cipramil... then the 'shivering through the Brain' started up again with 2 days of stopping.

I get the 'Waves', the Whoosh, whoosh, whoosing and a surging feeling through my ears at the same time.

Unfortunately I also suffer (24/7) from Tinnitis (ringing in the ears) which compounds it now I have the 'Shivering through the Brain' back.
What you are experiencing sounds like anxiety attacks.
What you describe is exactly what happened to me tonight for the first time.  I was raising my arm up to reach something in the kitchen, and all of a sudden I felt this weird current/electrical sensation go up the back of my neck into my head.  I felt dizzy and afraid I was having a stroke.  As you described, it was the same kind of feeling like hitting your funny bone.  It wasn't painful, though.
Hiya folks,  came across this old thread after the waves started happening again. They would always come and go since childhood but were always very euphoric for me. I just thought it was something special that happens to me... I'm 29 yo now but in 2002 I started doing yoga. The waves started coming frequently but I had some sort of control over it... Just like flexing a muscle. I had this thought during a class & said Aha outloud when I realized the muscle control bit... I **** u not the yoga instructor looked me dead in the eyes and said out of know where to the class that The Third Eye or Pituatary Gland is the cause of the wave-like sensation. Like an energetic wave that's washes over me. Starting from the front/ top of my forehead... Sometimes reaching to the tips of my limbs... However years went by without having it. It started again in 2009.
I also noticed that this is the Exact sensation I have during a waking or lucid dream... A dream where I actually become cognizant while dreaming. Awake & aware but asleep    

Now I know this sounds very hippy dippy, like new age jargon. I assure u I am not in a cult. I've come to these conclusions on my own & just kind of accept as something I don't understand... Yet

I will keep all of those who posted that they are suffering from this in my prayers & thoughts
Take care of yourselves
I get this too! I've got it right now when I move my eyes. Driving me crazy, but glad to see its not just me!
What was your problem called and what did they do surgically to help you?
Hi Seot,

I get the weird sensations in my brain too since 2006. I suspect it is due to a fungus (in the Candida family) that overgrew and invaded my bloodstream which brought it to my brain after I took antibiotics for almost 1 month. I also get my 2 last fingers fingers numb at night if my hands are placed on my chest when I sleep. The following website describes in details how these 2 symptoms are related and caused by the Candida fungus: http://www.themoldmissionary.com/immunecomplexesinterruptingcircul.html.

Regards,

Sebastien
I've been getting these almost all the time now, and I had to suddenly just stop taking Lamictal due to a lapse of medication, couldn't take them for 4 days then took regular dosage and forgot about the rash, well sure enough i started to get it, in my mouth and on skin. anyways, have been getting these and other symptoms and not sure what it is, almost feels like a sonar ping whoosh when i move my eyes, neck, head, blood pressure seems fine, its not a heart beat sound, or a blood sound, its ... like 3-4 waves in succession, but a physical feeling as well. If you find out lemme know please... ***@**** thx

coincidentally, I do know Lamictal is also used for epilepsy, I was taking 200mg a day, but mine was for bipolar disorder.
Wow this is crazy. I thought I was alone.  All day yesterday I was slow and confused, then woke up this morning with the wooshes again. What are these things.  Like everyone else said, no pain, just WEIRD. I try to describe it to my family and they look at me like WTF. I am a 31 year old mother of 3 and one of my daughters has severe epilepsy.  I am kind of scared these may be minor seizures.  She is unable to describe her sensations to me so I cannot compare. I am kind of scared. I get these on and off for the past 6 months. Usually when I have gotten too much sleep it seems.

I am happy I am not alone just ***** no one has gotten a concrete answer.
I am 20 years old and WOW, Same thing with me. The strange whooshing feeling everyones getting started happening with me out of nowhere about 2 years ago. I take no meds or anything that could trigger this .I found I can actually make it happen whenever I want it to. And the more you do it, the longer it can last. Not at all sure what it is but I kinda like it. I was wondering  if any one ells had been able to do this, found this page and saw your post Johnmcc887. The longest I have made it last was around 10 seconds, BUT after that I had the worst Migraine of my life that night. But I haven't had a migraine like that since then and I Also haven't had a surprise one in so long. If it happens Its me thats making it happen, if this helps any one ells if they want to stop it from happening randomly then good for you. I know some of you will not believe this at all but I am dead serious.
TO ALL!! symptoms...wavy like/dizzy/elevator type feelings lasting 3-6 seconds..sometimes intermittent throughout the day...can also make feeling of being tired...sometimes concentration and memory is affected...sound the same yet?? guess what this is migraines!! people hear the word migraine and think no cause I have no pain..guess what migraine doesn't always mean pain!  eye symptoms? yes migraines!! just because your not throwing up doesn't mean you don't have a migraine..or how about this some of you that have these symptoms when you laugh hard hard does it make the symptoms worst scary kind of..or how about when you are not in your "wave episode" do you hear a high pitch noise?? aura symptoms typically after a migraine!! Or anyone sometimes have pressure in the ears or in the head?? see a neurologist this is a constant migraine...ever notice some days being better than others...now the cause probably a lot of things...cell phone use now that we are all smart phones looking at the screens a lot is causing eye strains..computer use, how many stare at a computer for hours?? food...why hell yes look at what we all eat..caffeine? sure..soooo many contributing factors...weather sure! in fact most people are misdiagnosed for  sinusitis instead...I am not diagnosis you I am just saying I have alllll of these and been through countless test..test..test..test...allllll negative except for migraines...light sensitivity and other things...
OMG...Debdeb87...you've just described me!  Me "dizziness" as I call it started in June '05 while on a long road trip.  I can always tell when it's going to happen I get like a pulse(beep, beep) feeling in my temples then it feels like my eyes are swirling and crossing(but they really aren't because I've looked in a mirror when this happens) then it starts at my forehead and feels like a wave going to the back of my head and then coming forward again to my forehead.  Sometimes this will happen a couple times and the last time when it comes forward, it feels as though I black out for a split second then I get the pulse(beep,beep) feeling and then it ends in my eyes just feeling like they're crossing a spinning.  And while this is happening, which only lasts from few seconds to less than a minute, I feel extremely dizzy and when driving, it is extremely hard to focus(event though my eyes are really not moving)  it feels like they're cloudy or something.  Anyways, I've had 2 drs think MS and 2 neuros say no....even though my most recent MRI shows ovoid plaques and demyelination.  But, I am going to another neuro on Tues, with another MRI so he can compare the 2 and hopefully get some answers as to what is wrong with me!  (My last neuro was very nasty and would not even look at my MRI once she heard I had no insurance and that I had fibromyalgia..she just said it's all due to fibro and that I'm just going to have to learn to deal with it.)  Well, fibro doesn't cause the places in my brain so I'm taking a 3 hr drive with my daughter to see this new neuro who's willing to work with me on pymnts.  This is the first post I've seen with such similar symptoms as me...best of luck to all!
wow, I am 34 male. I have ben experiencing this  wooshing in my feeling as well and sometimes it feels as if my scalp and back of head is on fire. I tried 4 diff antidepressants and since i came off them the whooshing is almost constant. I was on celxa ( bad dreams) cymbalta ( made me more depressed didnt leave apt for 3 days) the generic equiv to pamelor ( whooshing was too intense) and Effexor 75 mg sent me to ER, I had dizyness, tingling spine and hands and my Bp went to 168/94. I went back to doctor and he perscribed me a low dose Lexapro take one pill every other day, and he had me get Sam-E and a energy metabolizer which was called L carnitine I believe. I see chiro for pinched nerves 3x a week, I used to suffer from horrible migraines but they have since subsided, I go to therapy to deal with loss of my father, and now tried these antidepressants to try to be a BETTER me and all its done is made me worse. Wooshing, er visits, sadness, stress. I have almost used up all my FMLA at work and if they dont allow me a longer term personal leave to try to get back to who I once was, I may lose or just walk away from my 14 year job. I read these posts and it sounds like alot of people dont find the wooshing hard to live daily life like I do, I applaud you. I find them scary as hell. I have had MRI ctscan, ekgs about 3 x, cardiovascular test in neck, numerous bloodwork done. I have a emg and something else done tomorrow at neurologist no caffeine for 24 hrs, can only sleep 9 pm till midnight tonight, hair must be dry. I find work unbearable with these symptoms yet many just look at me crazy or think im exhaggerating when I share with them my story.

OMG  I posted this three days ago on the MS site!  I didnt receive much in the way of a response and again thought I must be going off the deep end.  But look at all of our responses, not exactly the same, but similar
"Hi everfyone, Im glad to have found this forum as Im trying to figure out what actions to take.  I had been sent to a neurologist because I had complained about pressure feelings in my head.  These feelings are not painful (except for twice when they escalated to a migraine) but it feels as if I get a tightening in the base of my skull, which may progress to a very scary pressure feeling in my head."  
My neuro is tending to blame it on non classical MS.  I asked him to test for Lymes-  I hope to know more by the end of the week.

.
all i know is it scares the **** out of me BUT chiropractor, therapist, primary pysician, coworkers, family etc dont see why I cant work thru it all. I just know it wasnt this bad until the failed attempts with anti depressants.
in my head
Hi all.  Its been brought to my attention that many of us are having the same experiences.  I am a 31year old male who has experienced the same symptoms, but there's more.  It has been a long process for me as I have been experiencing this for the last 4years.  I have experienced  tension in the head, body sensations, strong waves of energy,  whooshes (sound), etc.  What I have experienced  has not been the easiest, but i have found a few helpful techniques to ease some of the tension.  Rest n Relaxation, meditation, eating healthier, forgiveness work, and loving Self n nature, etc.  Please review this article http://www.namastecafe.com/evolution/spiritawaken.htm (Many of us our undergoing a spiritual transformation where old patterns and belief systems are being brought up to be dealt with (healed), WE ARE EVOLVING! ;^) Im wishing you peace, blessings, and tranquility on this journey to personal-spiritual wellness.
Hey all, I'm a 17 year old female who suffers from everything you've described above (and not to sound like a parrot, but I truly believed I was the only one!)
It started a long time ago, maybe 4 years? It generally happens when my head is on an angle, for example lying on a pillow. When it happens my eyes flick, and my head feels spacey. I can't talk, and I can move everything except my head, which moves itself (it sways to the sides) It feels like the snowy picture reception looks on TV. I generally get episodes, I'll have a few bad ones and then some minor ones all in succession of each other. I'd love to know what this is, from people who experience it too.
It's hard to explain to other people, parent's and doctors because it's in your head?
It's also like I know where I am, but I couldn't tell you what was going on. I remember everything from the 'epsiodes' too.
Thinking about it, I used to use Cymbalta also.
I am 49 year old woman who has had 3 of these experiences in the past 2 days. It feels like it's in the center of my brain, strong pressure, "wooshing", feeling as if I'm about to black out, but with no pain. First happened while I was driving. Only lasts a few seconds. My husband was talking to me while I was driving then and I could still hear him. VERY weird. I have had maigraines too although in recent years it's only been eye flashing that prevents me from seeing, with no headache. So I guess nobody knows what's going on...I do not look forward to the doctor run-around...
I have been trying to wean off Pristiq, and have battled a severe headache most days and the second week of alternate day pills, this whooshing sound started. It is incredibly annoying and seems to make me lightheaded and the headache worse.After two weeks my dr said to stop the pills totally, but I am a bit scared to just stop them if these symptoms are going to continue strongly! Can anyone tell me how long this swooshing is going to continue??
Do I dare stop the pill or should I go to one every 3 days??
I was on Wellbutrin 150mg twice a day and 20mg Lexapro twice a day, I moved 9 weeks ago and during the trip I lost control of the truck I was driving. I lost everything including my medication. By the time I reached my destination I had already gone without my meds for a week. I didn't want my meds anymore. I don't knoe if insanity set in or sanity did. It's been 9 weeks now since having these meds and I seem to have turned a corner but these "waves" people talk about continue. It's not like they last a long time or are painful. They are just creepy and make me feel disconnected from my body. It is almost like I'm looking into my own life from outside a window. Sometimes it feels like hell. I've chosen to NOT g back on these meds. For me IMHO. It is time for me to deal with the cards I was dealt.
i think i'm having the same sort of thing your describing, weird wave like sensation ,like i,m going to fall, and now getting um ...like a rasping sensation in the sides and back of my head ( inside ) almost like a grass hopper rubbing his legs to make that sound they make , if that makes sense , hope i dont sound mad ,lol, let me know how you get on........
I'm 32, male and had my first episode when I was in High School. Probably about 15 years ago.  It hung around for awhile and seemed to not go away but stay in the background.  Mine does not stay in my head when it occurs however.  It starts exactly how most of yours is explained but in less than a second it reaches the ends of my arms and legs.  I cannot move either.  I seize and lose all hearing except for that sound.  In the last half year it has come back to full force and happening with a frequency I don't care for.  I have never talked to anybody about it because it wasn't painful and didn't seem to be affecting me.  I've never been on prescription drugs but I have had problems with depression.  I see most of us with this have.  I got fairly emotional finding out I'm not completely alone, but there still doesn't seem to be an answer besides migraine.  Could migraines also seize my limbs?  I will admit this is becoming frightening at times.  I can't lay back and relax because that is the main trigger for my episodes.  I'm gonna finally see a doctor finally after reading on here.  I have a lot more research to accomplish and if I find anything useful, I will post everything I can.  Good luck everyone.  At least it's not a painful problem, just a depressing, tiring, life energy sucking problem.  Oh boy.
One more thing, Thank you all and Happy Holidays.
Happy new year all, in relation to the comment who felt a twisting sensation at the top of their head, I had something similar late last year, around October, before bed I was stood up and felt a very strange, numb, twisting in my head, for about 2-3 seconds, it caused me to tilt my neck forward and twist to one side, it wasn't painful but ever since, I've had a pressure feeling around my frontal lobe, I suffer from sinusitis so put it down to that.
The strange thing is ever since I've felt very clumsy, careless with words, not very energetic and thoughtful, also not being able to concentrate etc.
It's taken a few months to feel noticeably better but I think it's coming along, very weird indeed.

Regards, Paul
The head rush feeling that comes in waves and feels like your head is being knocked forwards and burning feeling in back of your head. This is what I have and I am 99% certain it is from bad neck posture from too many long hours in front of a computer monitor. The resulting condition is most likely something called *****OCCIPITAL NEURALGIA*****.  Please look it up and see if the symptoms relate to your own experience.
Aye, I understand what you fella's are going through, sometimes it's liveable but sometimes it can be a damn pain.

I myself have been going through this for something like 5 months now, my symptoms are mostly sensations at the back of the head down to the lower neck and it's mostly occasional, it's also common after a panic attack. I started getting migraines about 3 years ago but I'm not sure if it's related. I also suffer strange flushes of colour in my vision, for instance there might be an imbalance of green and my site will go almost filmgrain like and I often have shortness of breath.

Before I started getting these sensations and panic attacks I had taken a synthetic cannabis which caused my first and very worst panic attack, almost unbearable. I don't know what it was but it felt like adrenaline running like a current from my toes to my head, when it reached my head it felt like I was going to pass out, I very may well have if I hadn't held on.

Five months later and the panic attack are very rare, the last one I had was 2 days ago but it was the first in 3 months. However, these sensations have failed to disappear. Have any of you experienced any changes in your personality or had this begin after you took a drug? By comparison my mother also had a similar experience that lasted for years after she took ecstacy for the first time, although it was so bad it mader her go nuts, she's completely recovered now though.

As for tests, I've gone for an EEG and a blood test, EEG was clear and so was the blood test except there was something off with my thyroid, the hormone levels were within the normal range however. I had also been prescribed cymbalta but that caused a weird side effect that made me stop it on the first day, which is a extreme version of the sensation I get in my neck going right up my spine and it felt like all my nerves were on fire.

Would appreciate it if anyone could compare.
Hey Guys,

I've been trying to figure out this sensation for the longest of time now.  It has been happening to me since I was like 4 or 5.  I never really worried about it because it always was like a good/euphoric feeling.  I do get the whooshing, and it feels like electric currents rushing through my brain.  Mine usually happen when I am laying down in bed and sometimes it's just one occurence, and sometimes it will just happen back to back to back.  Every once in a while, I'll get them out of bed and all I can do is wait for it to pass.  Even now it's hard to describe, and thats prob. why I never mentioned to anyone.  Sometimes following one of the episodes I get a feeling like I am just kind of free floating  in a big open space.  Don't think I'm crazy, but I always compared the feeling to being in a womb.  Idk, I'm glad I found this place where some of you seem to have the same things happening
Have you found results yet. I'm freaked out that this isn't not malband my gut intuition knew something was up ight. I cleaned feel it and I'm scared as ****
You wrote this yrs ago...I am facing SAME thing. 48 yr old male, googled and came to this...your describing me to a T, it happens most when I have stayed up real late...but can happen anytime. Scared too. Nowhere to even go. Whooshing yep! Exactly word I use. Tonight was really bad, electric shock strait w whoosh out both ears, and electrics shooting around BOTH wrists...never did the wrist thing before.,then I feel anxiety come on, and like it's building up on me...stay scared big time...too scared to dare sleep, if I start to relax to enter sleep zone, comes right bk w a tight feeling building up and like anxiety in a real physical way never have done before...anyone out there see this PLS post!
Hi I have the exact whooshing sounds with eye and head movements that you speak of.  It's so frustrating.  It just started about a month ago.  It stopped for a few weeks when I went off of Pamelor (that I was taking for migraines).  But it's back again.  So frustrating.  Please let me know if you find out anything more.  Thanks!  
Hi all, my 8yr old daughter has been experiencing most of what you have described, for about 3 weeks now. Not sure what started it, she said she was laying upside down off the bed for a while, and also bumped her head on the mattress but softly she says. From then she described 'wave-like' whooshy feelings in her head that last about 5-10seconds, she said they don't hurt and they feel like her head is heavy side to side, her head physically sways side to side too. They are always followed by a frontal headache. These headaches have been coming every day since 3 weeks ago- the wavelike feelings happen about once or twice a day. Tonight she has a migraine at the front and top and was crying with pain :( we are off to the dr tomorrow and im going to request an MRI . From what I gather I'm thinking its either: inner ear infection, cluster migraines, or partial complex seizures. Pretty worrying but feels a bit better finding this page and knowing there's a lot of others with the same issues.
I have been experiencing the same thing ypu guys are and my confidence in doctors is shrinking fast ... i beleive all of us are more equiped to solve this    we know more about it than anyone else it seems by reading your posts    so i beleive if we all wrote a live of all variables and finding common ones and then troubleshooting the rest    for instance i have neck pain, what feels like a growth of somesort on the back of my head right side that can somtimes be painfull exspeacily when bent over or drinking booze or smoking i also recently sropped taking citalopram used for anti anxiety and the head growth pain, i have lymes disease, i have had MRSA but no longer shows up in my blood tests, i have crappy mattress and couch could be affecting back and spine  they do ache  , im seeing a lot of thers with this problem with back and neck pain   i have an inkling this is a nerve related problem           i also want to describe the whoosh whoosh feeling almost like im getting a small burst of adrenaline it almost feels gd but can be dangerous and diorienting when happening at the wrong time
Hi I've just started having these wave sensations over the last month. I'm on celapram 10mg a very low dose that's all the medication I take. I'm thinking of getting off it to see if things improve I've been on it about two years. I'm thinking a build up of celapram?
The wave sensation starts on the left side of my head and go across the back of my head to the right side only lasts a few seconds. I was taken to hospital 3 times in a week. I've had heart, blood, arteries, brain CT scan, sugar levels etc all are good.
The first time I was taken to hospital my sugar level was 2.4 with high blood pressure. The last time I was taken to hospital my sugar levels were normal, my blood pressure was 190 over 110 pretty high.. I don't have blood pressure or sugar level problems. Doctors are baffled. I had another one yesterday having lunch with friends totally relaxed, no warning I don't feel sick, or dizzy just normal, it comes from no where.
i have those excact symptoms. feel foggy while these episodes hit me but its over before you can really experience it. very scary
Have you ever learned any thing about it? I am only 22 and I have the sensations that run through my head almost like electricity only it is accompanied a loud ringing in my ear. It causes me to be disoriented for a moment but is not at all painful only concerning. I thought it was spinal damage from a wreck I had about two months ago but the damage done does not warrant these head rushes for lack of a better term. This sensation has increased in frequency and in severity over the past month and no doctor can give me any idea as to why or what the cause may be. the only thing half normal consistantly related to it is when the sensation comes back repetively in a short period of time it always ends with a severe migrane (migraine) that is completely debilitating. I can not find answers in any doctors office around so I am looking here in hope for some kind of answers
I think this is largely associated with a lack of sleep (or high quality sleep) and an assortment of other variables. It's weird, my "wave" feeling is almost euphoric, but a lack of bloodflow to the brain has the same effect (I'm told).

Other factors for me:
-I sometimes get sinus headaches but they are often triggered by unrelated variables (skipping a meal, having low blood sugar, too much of a trigger food like cheese).
-I also get a headache after I get my hair cut (ear imbalance related?)
-I've noticed when I go to the barber and they use the buzzing clippers on me I a similar feeling that kind of starts in the upper part of my head and "waves" down to where the clippers are and then down to my ear and my entire spine.
-I have always loved scalp massages and they help with my headaches usually (cranial sensitivity?)
-Sometimes a sourish flavor (Greek yogurt in this case) can set it off
-Weather/pressure heavily impact my head aches too

Today the factors are (I think):
-Lack of sleep
-Greek Yogurt
-Weather changes
Your comments are most reasonable to me.  I've just had one of these events and it was my first one.  I have had a sinus problem for a couple of weeks which I thought was allergy related.  A few days ago I began taking benedryl and Zertec, along with nose spray and a nasal steriod a couple days ago.  I had read an article about honey and cinnamon and the benefits of it so yesterday I began  having that in tea.  I can feel my sinuses improving already,  I noticed my ears have been affected by the congestion too.  Today I have not had any benedryl, zertec, or nose spray;  I was just sitting at the computer and I had this attack, (my eyes started pulsating, rather fast and it felt like an electric shock but no pain associated.  I did think I might pass out but I didn't.  Thankfully!   Almost 2 years ago I was diagnosed with an ocular migraine.  That has happened to me about 6 times, but not recently.  I was under a lot of stress with my mom in the hospital.  I'll keep exploring the causes and see what I can come up with.  My father died of a brain tumor and my male cousin who is the same age as I.  That will make 9 relatives that have died from brain tumors.  I do have an uncle that is not related to my fathers side that has ocular migrains and he is in his 80's, still a spry fellow.  Thanks for letting me vent.  Best regards, Julie
Hi i have exactly same symptoms as yours . Did you find any solution for this , my doctors prescribed me anti depressant which i don't want to take .  
Alot of the comments here fit my condition. Others do not. It is definitely a whooshing sensation, above the eyes, quick, painless. Hard to discern if there is a sound with it, if so, very slight. For me it first started when I looked up, like to paint a ceiling, or looked back out of my car window to see if something was coming. And it was slightly disorienting. Today it happens every day. When moving my eyes left or right, or just getting up and walking. Whoosh, so hard to describe. Before reading all these comments, I was thinking it was either a brain tumor (not likely), or eye strain. I use 225 reading glasses for the computer. And think I need a 150 to see the tv these days.

I don't have headaches or migraines. No panic attacks. It's strictly a whooshing feeling in the head above the eyes, slightly causing a sway sometimes, and feels connected to the eyes somehow.

Good luck everyone.

Good luck everyone.
I have just come off sertraline (a serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) anti depressant) and these 'whooshing' eye related sensations have started to effect me. Strange feelings of weakness, especially in my legs and chest, also seem to occur when I move my eyes rapidly back and forth. The sensation in my head almost sounds and feels like my eyes refocusing with this strange whoosh and electric sensation. I get it every time I move my eyes quickly, everyday. I also feel extremely tired and have problems thinking clearly most of the time. I realise that the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms probably don't help but I don't think I seen anything about it effecting your eyes etc. At first I thought it was something to do with heart palpitations until I was sitting in my car and relised my eye were feeling heavy and twitching, the movement of them then produced that feeling. Nice to hear from others that it doesn't seem dangerous but it is very annoying and disconcerting. Good louck to everyone who is having these strange symptoms! Joe
I get it randomly, over dumb things. it makes me instantly depressed, some i shake off, but sometimes it makes me depressed enough where I want to cry on the spot. it hurts mentally, and physically. I also loose all confidence every time it happens for hours. Its almost like a shockwave going through your head, it comes over random things, that don't really matter. Such as maybe, I think my glasses are bent but they really aren't, or somebody else's problem that is not my deal. I remember one that was serious enough that I gave up on the day and went to bed, it was something simple as a loose strap on a gun in a video game. I might go to the doctors but I am not sure what to do say or what to ask for. The more days go by the more it happens. I need to get rid of it asap. I'm only 15 and it effecting my personal and school life.
I feel the EXACT SAME thing!! Has anyone told you what that is???
Hi woody you just described all of my symptoms to a tee. Lots of doctors ... Lots of tests everything normal. Then my neuro ran a cardiolipin antibody test. It was positive and high. Now I know what I have it's called APS syndrome. Once we knew what we were working with some blood thinning and routine IV hydration I am feeling closer to normal. Have the test drawn.
I am new here and I am so glad its not just me. I have these same feelings. They feel identical to when I dont take my Xanax at EXACTLY the same time everyday. I have never had one before today that taking my med didnt stop. But today it has lasted since 11am and its now after 4. I also take Pristiq and Seroquel but I have always had these swoosh feelings even before starting the latter two. It feels like I am "in the matrix". Impossible to move even my eyeballs any other way than straight without a swoosh. I do not want to deal with this anymore:-(

Brandi
Everyone adds to this conversation to say that they are experiencing it, which is great, makes us feel better that we're not alone, but nobody comes back to say what was the cause.

I decided to try a few things and one or more of these things worked. The sensations went away. Ultimately, it was a combination of body chemistry and eye strain. Something SIMILAR might help you. Your chemical imbalance might be caused by something different, but focus on it.

1) I stopped using a aspartane sweetener produced by our grocery chain. I was trying to reduce sugar intake, stopped using processed sugar and started opening blue packets every day.

2) I stopped taking cinnamon w/ chromium, which I was taking because the bottle claimed that cinnamon helped metabolize sugar. The CHROMIUM, and I believe Selenium might do the same, was a big part of the problem.

3) I started taking 600 mg vitamin D, for which my doctor had told me I was deficient in, but I had been ignoring him.

Symptoms went away by 90%.

Also, do your ears ring? If they've been doing it for a long time, you might be so used to it you don't realize it is happening as much. A middle ear problem affects nerves to the brain as well as the eye muscles.

Everyone who adds something here should bookmark the page and come back and explain how they got rid of the problem, if they do. Doctors just don't have answers.
I am 60 years of age.  I have had the symptoms for ten years.  In the beginning the whooshes would jolt me awake when I was trying to sleep at night.  They are much less noticeable these days but like yourselves I am inclined to worry about them.  I thought they must have something to do with my hearing loss which has deteriorated badly over the past 20 years but it may also be stress-related, even if the stress for me now is only over happy things.  I certainly won’t worry about it as much now having read this blog.  I now know that I am not alone and that a lot of people have had all the tests and nothing major has turned up.  Now maybe you can all worry a little less knowing that you are at least likely to live as long as me!!  
I have the same feeling!!! Then later I became paralyzed and couldn't move my eyes or body my eyes forced turning I felt like I was shaking my symptoms was more like a complex seizure!!!!
Hey everyone. I've been suffering from migraines since 2009. I get at least one a week, sometimes more. I take 150mg of topamax a day and it keeps them down enough, but I. Also experience whooshing and just recently, brain twitches. My migraines get so bad that I usually have to sleep them off (the relpax has stopped helping and the sumavel shots make my already low blood pressure plummet to unsafe grounds), and they make my brain feel swollen and heavy, like its pushing out my eyes and down on my spine. I get the whooshing almost every night, and its when I'm laying I'm bed to fall asleep. Just recently, when my migraines are really bad, it feels like I have a twitch in my brain, almost like a seizure of some sort, although I'm not epileptic and it's never been brought up. My MRI only showed spots of damage from such severe migraines, and my recent echo was normal. I just wanted to see if anyone is experiencing a case like mine? I'm 23 and I'm really sick of suffering like this. It seems like they're just getting worse and I'm not sure what to ask my neurologist next. I've been tests for auto immune diseases and I have none, so I just feel a bit helpless at the moment.

Thanks guys.
Xoxo
Dee
Also, I forgot to add that I constantly get dizzy when I stand up. 9/10 times.
Over the last 5 years or so I have developed the same whoosh sound in my head. It feels like it is at the very top of my head. It feels like the same sensation when one is about to fall asleep. I noticed it is more common if I haven't had sufficient or restful sleep.

I am male, just over 60 years old, very healthy, in great shape, never been overweight, so it has nothing to do with being out of shape, at least in my case or so I think. I am a computer engineer and I spend tons of hours working on a computer 7 days a week, being that way for years, so I am wondering if it has anything to do with excessive concentration. It is a weird feeling. No pain, no loss of balance, no euphoria, just the swoosh sensation for fraction of a second. There are people much younger here, experiencing same or similar sensation, so if my condition is age related which I think is the case, there may be other none-age related causations as well.

I think NIH (National Institutes of Health) should do a study to find out specific or approximate causes.
Personally, as long as I have no further symptoms and it doesn’t get more frequent, I am going to focus on getting more quality sleep, nutrition and more frequent exercise. But one should definitely consult with their physician and a specialist, seek second and third opinion, particularly if you have other symptoms, such as dizziness or anything for that matter.

Good luck to all and don’t forget to be your own advocate, because your doctor may not know what is wrong or even worse, may not take you too serious.
Odd this is on here.  No one I know seems to have a problem like this one.  I get this odd disorientation in the back of my head, often accompanied by light ringing in the ears, and it usually goes on for 2 to 3 hours a day.  It happens when I'm sitting down or even laying down. I've even had the strange feeling wake me from a dead sleep, a whoosing feeling like a wave when I'm just lying there. It's not painful, but very disturbing.  The first time it happened was right after I had an ulcer last year, and  a few months ago, it was extreme one night accompanied by an inability to focus on anything for more than a few seconds, then things would go blurry until I looked somewhere else.  After 3 hours that went away too.  I really really hate this.  I'm going on 48, take no meds, slightly overweight, but losing it.  I keep waiting to have a stroke or something.
I've been having migraine with aura for over 20 years. The body takes quite a beating after the aura, sometimes for 2 days there are symptoms. All the medicines over the years have just come up so short, and do little to help while leaving me with a whole troop of new negative side effects from the medicines.  

I had 11 aura migraines in June. As they make my body very sick and kind of brittle feeling, really stiff with lots of heartburn, along with a slew of other unhappy symptoms, for 1 or 2 days after each one, that takes up most of the month.

Number one cause, the one thing that sets it all up? For me, I think it's 40 years of chronic stress, and when I get sleep-deprived, or tired and frazzled, or start letting anything rock my boat so to speak, and find myself feeling angry or hurt or mistreated, or bitter, or just plain lonesome and isolated and abandoned, when I start to give much focus at all to those kinds of things, the stress sky rockets and sooner or later..........aura migraine on the way. I never quite put it all together like this until several months ago, but now I am starting to think, "if I got my body/brain to do this by stressing out and so forth, then, no matter how desperate the situation might seem or be at the present, I can work to turn that process around and get my body/ brain, a little to a lot less reactive to stress and chronic tension, and then hopefully, things will change for the better. I've already noticed some of that, but as I said, the last few months have been very high amounts of stress and I'm not that far into all of this yet.

But I think it's my best bet.

But even knowing this, or at least believing this, I am having so many stressed out situations, (ironically, many of them due to the neurovascular condition) and things just seem to snowball. If you love anyone or any thing, then sooner or later there will be high stress.

I believe meditation, as much as a person can learn and then practice each day, is a very promising course of action that can be taken regularly, to help reduce the number and intensity of migraine w/ aura.

I'm trying, over the last few months, to learn forms of meditation that will hopefully help me to get the classic migraines down to a point where they don't have such an overpowering effect in my life.

I think meditation can be developed tailored to each individual's life, beliefs, and so forth. But sometimes it takes some doing. Breathing meditations are a good start, and then a person can flush that out with personally adapted ideas and practices. (many meditations are spiritual in nature, so it might be important for some to adopt one that is within the realm of their own belief.

But I would definitely suggest trying it. Even thought the last month was a sh*itter, there have been some really high level stresses that I have been trying to figure out how to get through. Won't detail any of that, but those who have neurovascular conditions for some time will know of some of the "complications" that can arise, from the general apathy or stigma found in society, or to that of their own family members, combined with the daily struggle of just getting through some times, and then of course there's always "our own personal sh*t".  :)

Try meditating. Like other treatments, though, it really has to be done regularly (which can be a bit tough at times when the migraine attack is messing with the whole body/mind — who wants to, or even feels they can, sit and meditate when in the middle of a migraine attack.

All the best everyone and I hope we all find some peace and beauty and vitality to latch on to and live with for the most part.

But I think it's my best bet.

I'm glad I came to this sight today. I, too, have these "waves." I used to be a chronic meth user. There were times that I would be riding my bike or no physical motion at all, and I would have these waves, or like an instant shutdown in my brain. A few were severe when they first began. I described it as an instantaneous shutdown of my brain, or, like a quick shake motion inside my skull, like a swoosh like an ocean wave. It has always disturbed me because I've wondered if it was a seizure, or, like a feeling of dying for an instant, then coming back. This weekend I began to have  double-vision. This hasn't  gone away, but, along with the double vision, I began having this subtle wave motion in my head. This feeling was continuous yesterday. I counted over 30 times within a few moments.
I'm so scared. I feel like I have a  brain tumor, or, like I'm getting  ready to have a heart attack, or a stroke. I'm 51 years old, and have been sober for over a year. I just tried to explain this to a nurse and she didn't know at all what I was talking about. Please, can someone lead me to information, or, a doctor, or anything, to tell me what's happening. I feel like people think I'm crazy!
I'm glad I came to this sight today. I, too, have these "waves." I used to be a chronic meth user. There were times that I would be riding my bike or no physical motion at all. A few were severe when they first began. I described it as an instantaneous shutdown of my brain, or, like a quick shake motion inside my skull, like a swoosh like an ocean wave. It has always disturbed me because I've wondered if it was a seizure, or, like a feeling of dying for an instant, then coming back. This weekend I began to have  double-vision. This hasn't  gone away, but, along with the double vision, I began having this subtle wave motion in my head. This feeling was continuous yesterday. I counted over 30 times within a few moments.
Wow, I'm soooo happy to come across someone who knows what I'm talking about. I refer to as a brain swooshing. I'm 48, I had a stroke in 2009. I say that to let you know, I've had ct scans, MRIs, neurology visits, etc. I'm under a doctor's care and have been going to regular appointments since. All the doctors say that there is nothing wrong inside my head. The only med I'm on is high blood pressure, although my bp is under control. I'll be taking it for the rest of my life. The docs say it also it's caused by the meds. So I'm still looking for answes.
Hi everybody. This seems to be the thread that pops up in Google when anyone searches for "strange head sensations" or "brain wave" or the like. At least that's how I came across this.

Needless to say, I've been having similar symptoms. I'll describe them in detail so maybe it's of help to someone.

I'm male, 32, in very fit condition, no meds, no anxiety, never any drugs but in my country it's common to drink quite heavily. I have a stressful job, but my symptoms started in a very easy time period in my life.

I had my first "attack" (that's what I call them) the day after a company party. Which means I had a bad hangover and had not slept well. It was a very sudden, intense feeling that my brain threw a somersault inside my head. The feeling was short, maybe 2-5 seconds, and was immediately followed by a horribile panic. The panic was due to the very real feeling that this was the end, that I'd die.

I had a second attack maybe two weeks later, and again, a hangover was involved. I was in a grocery store, and without any warning, my brain felt like it flipped over. The feeling is very, very disturbing, and causes a very strong panic reaction afterwards.

I had a third attack a few weeks later, and again, there was a slight hangover and a badly slept night. Once again, a short 2-5 sec feeling of something going horribly wrong in my head, a flip, a shock, twisting wavelike sensation in my brain. Again, bad anxiety and panic afterwards and intense fear of death.

After that, I started having the sensation daily. Only it was much less intense, and there was no hangover involved. It would happen any time, but most often when I was getting to sleep in my bed.

I think I could then begin to analyze the attacks a bit more specifically since the fear of death wasn't as intense.

I could be reading my iPad for example, and nothing would change in my field of vision, but I'd have a distinct sense that my brain started to shut down, in a wavelike motion, from the back of my head towards the front. As the sensation crept towards the front of my brain (and towards what felt like a complete shutdown -- maybe death), it'd get very terrifying, and the resulting panic would "jolt" me from the attack.

This would happen daily for maybe 2-3 weeks. Now the attacks themselves have subsided, but other symptoms have emerged.
I get feelings of pressure in my head, most often on the top right side of my brain. Other feelings in the head are common, but they seem to switch around and change shape.
I'm also not feeling well, haven't dared to do any exercise, and this is disturbing my work.

None of the feelings are painful. They're just terrifying.

Ok, so I've gone to get help. I've seen two general practitioners and a neurologist. He's supposedly very good.

I've had EEG (the electric brain test thingy), to check for epilepsy etc, and that turned out normal. My heart has been checked with an ECG (heart monitor thingy) a couple of times, and had an x-ray of the thorax to see if my heart has enlarged or if there's something wrong with my lungs. Everything's normal.

Well my ECG had something wrong, can't recall the term, it was somethingsomething retro something, but my GP said it was something that was very common in young males who are very fit, like me.

I'm getting a Holter (a two-day heart monitoring thingy) done by the end of this month as well.

My neurologist has also done the clinical testing for tumours and the like -- the one where they check if there's proper feeling and cordination in the skin, the body, limbs, nerves, while walking, lifting stuff, etc. Everything's ok.

My current albeit not final (!) diagnosis is this, from my neurologist:

He thinks my lack of sleep and hangovers might have caused arrhythmia (cardiac dysrhythmia) in my heart. This caused the initial "attacks" in my brain. He says it's not uncommon that heart arrhythmia isn't felt in the heart but in the head. This is because the blood flow to the brain is disturbed for a while by the arrhythmia.

So there maybe was something wrong with how my heart functioned, and this caused the initial attacks.

The lesser attacks, and other related head symptoms, are caused by my significantly higher level of stress and anxiety. The stress and anxiety are of course quite a natural result of worry and almost constant nagging fear of dying, brain tumor, worry for myself and my wife & kids and their future.

So to sum it up: the first, more serious attacks, with the brain waves and flips, could have been caused by arrhythmia (rhythm irregularity) in my heart, and the lesser, later symptoms are caused by anxiety resulting from the first attacks. It's still a bit unclear to me if the lesser symptoms are just stress, or if the stress is causing some mild problems with my heart, which in turn causes the milder symptoms.

I had the first attacks in May and it's August now, so this has all happened within the past three months. My doctor promised they'd do the tests until the cause was found. If that's the case, I'll try and report back here with a certain diagnosis and more info.

If my current diagnosis is right, then I must say I'm very surprised how very real symptoms anxiety or elevated stress levels can cause. If I have any heart problems during the Holter study, then the monitor should pick it up.

Anyway, I hope this helps if anyone has similar symptoms. They are awful and very frightening.

Maybe you can take some solace in the fact that I'm still alive, and I think I'm getting better. Go and see a doctor, be very calm (so they won't think you're just being hysterical) and try to describe the symptoms as exactly as you can.

All the best, Tuomas
  I get what you describe also.  The electricity feeling thru the head with a sharp piercing ringing in my head or ears.  Very scary.  Doctor told me its all related to migraines.  Have you found out anything about this?
To all:
Searching for reasons for many of the symptoms you have described here. Mine are: wooshing as I move from sitting (after a long time) to standing and walking; pressure behind the eyes that make them feel out of focus; a slight imbalance at this time. It stays for about 10 or 20 minutes then goes.

My thoughts so far:
1. This started around the time I started using earbuds to watch some shows on my netbook (I wondered if the warmth from the earbud was somehow upsetting the wax in the ear and hence also balance mechanisms). I stopped using them - and there has certainly been some lessening of the symptoms (less extent of time; fewer occasions; less severe symptoms) - but I still have it.
2. I wondered if it was connected with blood pressure (as the wooshing is in time with the heart beat and it occurs with changes from sitting to standing) - I don't feel like I have high or low blood pressure - but intent to get this checked out.
3. I also wondered about vestibular disorder: http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorder/symptoms - though again, I don't think so as it is intermittent. In the end I'll check this out if nothing else is found.
4. I don't consider migraines or epilepsy as I don't suffer from these - luckily don't even have headaches.

Good luck with finding out about this. I think the internet is wonderful in terms of allowing people to find that symptoms which seem puzzling to a single doctor - are in fact quite widespread! I wish doctors read discussions like this. they'd learn a LOT!
Kathy
this is me to a T :(

i did laugh at the alien invasion comment as that has crossed my mind ;)
Woody, I've been experiencing the same sensations.  Started with the flashes then the head sensations.
Initially felt like someone touching my brain. Very odd.

I have to say that things got better when I started sleeping more.
I have also started taking evening primrose oil to help me relax cause I realised that the sensations and flashes occur when I'm either stressed or agitated.

Try sleeping more, relax and make a note of when it starts then you'll figure out what's setting you off.

If I'm honest, I lost someone I loved and more or less stopped sleeping properly for a few months.  I really think the stress of losing him, he died, made something snap in my head, coupled with lack of sleep, stress....
I think our brains can only handle so much.

I'm still working on this but once I established why I was experiencing all of this, I forced myself out of my cave and things are getting better.
Less sensations, less flashes.

To everyone else who wrote, I wish you luck.
Im in no way religious but I held onto God and I swear if I hadn't, I would've completely cracked.
Good luck.
Me

Less sensations, less flashes.

Good luck.
Me
my name is daniel baker im twenty eight years old these sensations sound like what ive been having the last few months mine are awful very very strange my brain feels like its pulsating and kinda like electricity charging it but mine starts and i am asleep only once while i was awake but when it happens i almost cant come out of it like im paralyzed but it happens three four times a night atleast three days a week i get bad headaches but atleast i c im not alone but would love to hear more about what it actually is happening to me somebody help with that i am seeing a doc soon tho thanks
What did they find if you don't mind me asking? So far I haven't heard anyone that knows what this is and I have had MRI's in the past but only fluid found behind my right ear followed by an ear tube put in to drain it because meds weren't drying it out. The sensations have never stopped. They are not painful. Just aura's once in a while with a painful migraine but never along with the sensations. Just ear ringing to follow most of the time now and getting this every day. I am now embarrassed to ask a doctor because every time I say something about it to a doc they change the subject very quickly because they almost seem uncomfortable with the question because they have no clue what I'm talking about......seems to me it would be a cause of concern.
Mine started probably few months ago. I do work in a hospital on a busy ward. It's hot and humid there and it usually happens at work. My feels like a rush sensation wave going on one side of my body or just in the head. Not on any antidepressants only on contraceptive (microgynon 30 for many years).

I do get migraines though.

In the past I was diagnosed with epilepsy. Very skeptical about the diagnosis though as this was after a single fainting episode after inhaling smoke. First EEG was clear, Second, after 24 sleep deprivation showed minor abnormalities. Was taking Depakine for about a year then stopped. Diagnosed around 2003 but having been on any meds for around 10 years now. No seizures or fainting episodes since the initial one (which I doubt that was an actual seizure)

This is what I found, it might help some of you guys:

https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/seizures/focal-partial
I too have been having these sensations for the last couple months. I just ended a 3 1/2 week period of cluster headaches too (which I've never had before & am 45). It's becoming concerning. Happens a lot when I'm driving but also sparatically throughout the day. Wish I knew what was causing them. I might add it happens often when I don't feel stressed or rushed.
I think you are right about this. I have been experiencing a lot more but mostly when I am coming down with some sort of bacterial or viral infection AND when I have a fever. I wish I could find a medication or solution to this because when you go to most specialists they really have no idea what it is.
Hi, I have been having the same sensations as you. I was diagnosed with MS 8 years ago, following a car accident. My first symptoms were that of ON followed by spasms which affected the left side of my body. Since then I have been mainly symptom free but every now and then I get sharp stabbing pains in my head. They last no more than 30 seconds and then go again. often having up to 20 pains in a day and then none for a while. I am now on med - Amitriptyline 20 mg a day.
However, 10 days ago I started getting the whooshing in my head making me feel very unsteady on my feet. A trip to the doctor diagnosed me with Labrynthitis.  I went back to the doctor who said she could see my eyes moving unevenly so she signed me off work until I see my ms doctor on Wednesday, I will wait and see what he has to say then and keep you informed.  Hope you are well.
Hi, I have the exact symptoms u have, none of the noise stuff with it or while sleeping like some of the others.  It just started for me a week ago.  Have you ever found out what it is?  Thanks

I am Jazzy. The first time I felt this strange sensation in my head was last december 16. It was gone for quite sometime but it was back now. Are you also feeling like your head was swaying inside? Or something is like moving inside your head like a pressure is there? I really have been wondering what is this feeling. It caused so much discomfort. It's like your head is pulled. And the part that had pressure is feeling heavy. Have you found out what it is? Please update.