Neurology Expert Forum
Strange Sound in Neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Strange Sound in Neck

I have been having problems with a strange noise at the base of my skull for several months. I do not notice it every morning, but many mornings as I am waking I can hear a sort of spewing sound that seems to be coming from the base of my skull. I am not moving when I notice this sound and it does not hurt. I have also been having problems with my neck and shoulders aching and my neck feels gritty when I move it. Do you think this is a matter that needs to be seen by a doctor? If so, what type of doctor and what sort of thing should he be looking for? Thank you for your time.
Does the sound coincide with your pulse like a whooshing sound? Can you hear it when you're absolutely quiet?  If so, then this may represent "pulsatile tinnitus", a fancy term that is described by just that above. There are many causes, but some of them are quite serious such as tearing of the arteries in your neck (which could cause neck pain), blocked arteries in the skull, arterio-venous malformations (abnormal collection of tangled blood vessels) and high blood flow states such as anemia.
Think back to see if you have a history of trauma which could case the tears or abnormal arterial connections. Are you middle aged or older with stroke risk factors? That would cause blocked arteries in your head.
You do need to see a neurologist, and if your symptoms fit into this category consider doing it on a semi-urgent basis at the very least.  They will probably need some kind of imaging study to look at the blood vessels in your brain and neck. If at any time you develop sudden symptoms such as severe headache (worst in your life or close to it) with persistent Nausea and vomiting, visual changes or numbness and weakness on one side of your body, then call 911. Best of luck.
I am only 34 years old. I do not hear this all the time when I am lying down, I almost always hear it when I am just waking. But I am completely still. It does not seem to coincide with my pulse. It is just a quick sound and then it goes away. If I have any of those things that you mentioned are they treatable? Does any of this information change your opinion or the urgency of my situation?
I often hear a quick gurgling sound at the back of my neck, base of my skull.  It sounds similar to "throat gurgling" but it is definitely coming from the back.  I often hear it when I am lying down; I hear it quite often when I am at PT (for neck problems) or at chiropractic appointments.  I also hear a rhythmic swishing sound each time I go up steps.

My internal medicine doc has no idea what I am talking about, says people with neck problems hear funny noises.  I have awakened a few times with the most severe, disabling pain -- more than I think a human being could ever tolerate.  He didn't seem too concerned; thought it was a migraine.

Now I really wonder what this is.  I can't get a referral to a neurologist.  Let us know what you find out.  Thanks and good luck.  What you are hearing is most likely something minor but probably should get medical attention.
I also have a sound similar to what you are describing.  In addition, I am also experiencing a lot of crackling in my neck/skull base.  Typically the sound will coincide with or occur immediatly after my stomach growls.  I've been to a neurologist who didn't seem to concerned about it.
That is usually when mine happens too. I usually am experiencing hunger pains at this time. I have gone to my Family doctor who simply dismissed it. I don't know whether to pursue it or not.
Could somebody please help me.
Since around March last year, 2000, I have been suffering with a terrible series of symptoms.  I have been to many doctors and they all say that nothing is wrong with me, although I continue with what I truly believe is a disease, a virus of some sort.

Every single week for three days I sweat profusely only under my eyes and I sweat on my scalp for no reason , as though I am coming down with a bad throat infection.  It lasts throughout the morning and goes away towards the late afternoon.  The rest of the week I am normal.

This is accompanied with facial swelling on the cheeks and when my stomach rumbles a crackling sound travels up my spine.  The cracking sound travels up throught the back of my head and I hear it at the top.  My scalp at that time feels very warm and sweat drips.  When I lay down I can feel the pulse on my head.  My body trembles when I am in bed and sometimes when I am up doing chores.  

On the days that I feel normal I feel like I have been through hell, worn out and exhausted like I was fighting a viscious virus.  

I can't take this anymore, I need help.  All the doctors I have been to say they don't know what it is.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for reading.
About 6 months ago, I started noticing a grinding and popping in my neck. I woke up one morning and turned my head to the right as I talked to my husband, and I realized that it made an uncomfortable grinding and popping noise. It felt like the bones at the base of my skull were grinding together. It only happens when I turn my neck to the right. And sometimes it`s like a quick pop at the base of my skull when I turn it. It hasn`t went away and Its starting to cause fatigue and headaches. If anyone knows anything about this, please email me back and let me know. I have had a couple of car wrecks, and a history of back aches. Thanks...
A related discussion, strange sound in back of neck was started.
A related discussion, Effervescence Pop Rocks Noise at base of skull was started.
I had been hearing this sound for two years and now dr have discovered mass on back of my neck. The cracking sound always had me worried. When dr found mass abt three weeks ago I had a whole vertebrae gone
I've seen these same symptoms on a variety of websites under a variety of topics. Has anyone found an answer yet? Xanax seems to be the only thing that works for me, so I want to say it's anxiety, but I'm just not sure.
A related discussion, i think this is what most of you are talking about was started.