Neurology Community
Strange episode

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Strange episode

I have been diagnosed with four different types of seizures. I have grand mal, absence, focal, and  then I have psychogenic seizures. Yesterday when I was watching a movie with a friend my whole left side of my body started to twitch. In the past when I have had focal seizures they have generally been in my left hand only. I am wondering a couple of things. First, was this a seizure and if so what type? Thanks.
Hello.

This particular episode if left sided twitching could be a partial seizure or a psychogenic seizure. Were you conscious throughout the episode ? How much time did it last ?

Have you got any EEG done recently ?

Regards
Thanks for your comment. Yes, actually I was conscious for this episode and with my psychogenic seizures I'm usually unconscious. This seizure lasted about maybe two minutes tops and the last EEG I had was last February.
Psychoogenic seizures seeminly are when one is awake?
Treatment: Psychology and Psychiatry expert

Neurogenic (epileptic) seizures are when one is unconscious?
Treatment: Neurology expert

I am the caregiver of a 30-year-old female in Spokane, WA.  She has fluttering, tightening, spasming, extreme rigidity in migrating parts of her body while awake: head and temples, neck, shoulder/s, stomach, back, buttock/s, thigh back or front or both, knee cap and behind, calf, ankle, foot, toes, etc.  Sometimes it happens in the right hip (or other part) in that part alone...and sometimes it is on the right and left at the same time.  

2/22/08: She started her period today.  Her stomach is fluttering hard.  I have felt it.  What can we do?  We want a "natural" homeopathic approach.

What helps:  We notice if she lies on her side (usually the one cramping)...and curls in a ball; bends her hand upward and holds it is a fist, positions hand in a curled position and upwards that the spasms are not as great.  Sometimes just her hand will twitch for a period of time without her making any painful noises...then she passes out.  The spasms cause extreme pain and she passes out every two minutes or even more frequent...and wakes up in about 10-15 seconds and the pain starts over again (repeats 30+ times a day with passing out)...sometimes same spot other times a different one.  A local respirator doctor observed this and stated it was true syncope.

Note: There are sometimes a couple of hours in the day when she can get up and walk around...but due to sudden onset...we can't go in public with her since this comes on suddenly.  She is spasming more than not but for the "good" times of the day we/she/our family has decided not to use drugs to manage the pain.  We talk her brough a "blow" out for 6 and in for 3 with the pain around the clock.  

Are there other possible phsycial reasons this is happening?
Are there other diagnostic tests we could get to diagonose this?
What about vascular issues in the brain?  MRI hasn't caught this yet.

Medical docs say the tests are normal.
Where are the knowledgeable physcians?  Spokane doctors don't seem to be that familiar with this condition of "psychogenic" seizuring...if that's what it really is.
Please e-mail: ***@**** need help ASAP!

Hello.

Hope you are fine today.

How was the EEG report ? And this EEG is one year old. Can you get one EEG done now ? It will be of help to arrive at a diagnosis.

Just to correct the comments from the previous member, neurogenic seizures can occur while one is fully awake. Such seizures are called as partial seizures.

Regards