Neurology Community
Strange neurological symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Strange neurological symptoms

Hi all,

I'm a 35 years old man. I have a set of very strange symptoms that I describe below:

1. In January, I started to feel a very strange chest pain; I went to ER, they performed an ECG, everything got normal; but the pain continued; I visited several GP and they told me I have costochondritis and gave me Vitamin B and Ibuprofen. The medicines did not work and I continue having such chest pain. I went to a traumatologist and to a torax surgeon, they performed me some X-Rays, everything got normal and they gave me Vitamin B and Ibuprofen too. The chest pain is too mild, but it continues nowadays.

2. Started to feel a sensation like having a caffeine buzz. A full tremor inside, but nothing exterior.

3. The tremor started to be apparent externally. My hands have a mild tremor when I open them fully; and I started to have a lot of tremors in my face: My cheek starts to tremble when I smile a little bit; I tremble when I frown and my lip started to tremble also when I move it like kissing.  I went to the neurologist, he performed an electroencephalogram, everything got normal; he gave me carbamazepine with no effect at all and he also prescribed me diazepam (with no effect at all).

4. I got adult acne one month ago, approx.

5. My tremor is evident right now, it is in my fingers, in my arms and in my legs in some postures; they are not limiting me to do anything yet, but I am afraid that they could make worse if I continue with no treatment at all.

6. Two weeks ago, I started to have some vision problems; it is hard to explain, but right now is kind of uncomfortable to read because my eyes cannot focus easily. I visited an ophtalmologist, and she just gave me new glasses.

7. I have a fasciculation in my right thumb finger. It is not all time, but it is kind of uncomfortable too. (one week ago).

Looking in the internet my symptoms are very similar to Lyme disease, but I live in south America, so it is not endemic here.

As you can see, my symptoms are mild, but they are slowly getting worse. I do not know how many doctors I visited this year but no one can give me an answer. Almost all of them say it is just anxiety, or stress; but apart of ask for some X-rays and some blood tests (CBC, thyroid, hepatic, liver; all of them normal), they do not try to discard any neurological stuff or they do not try to find the cause of my chest pain; and all of this is really driving me crazy.

So, do you have some idea of what can I have? or some tips about what kind of tests should I ask for?

Thanks in advance

Ariel
Ok, then scratch the thyroid profile.  

Keep us posted.  

All the best.  
Since you have seen all of those doctors, I don't see why it wouldn't be safe to start exercising.  I would sprint as long as you can and then walk.  Keep alternating this and walk for 30-45 minutes.  Instead of lengthening the walks in time, I would increase how much of the time you spend running.  You want to be exhausted when you get done.  

Afterward, how are your symptoms?  If they are improved, then I think it is definitely anxiety and you just need more exercise and breathing techniques.  Yoga or martial arts are alternative exercise routines.  I think they would give you a sense of control that perhaps you are lacking.  
Doubt if running/exercise is going to diagnose anything.

Did they check your vitamin D level?  What is your b12 level?  Iron level checked?  

Have you had any imaging done of your head or neck?  
Hi Londres;

Calcium levels were checked but vitamin D or B12 or iron nop.

All imaging I had were two or three X rays to my torax because the chest pain, but they appeared normal.

Do you recommend me some MRI to my head? I want to ask for a CT to my thorax too. What do you think?
Thanks for your comments Caryopteris. Actually I'm starting to do some exercise, and, though my symptoms do not get better; exercising distracts my mind for a while! Thanks!
I would recommend an MRI of the head/brain WITH contrast and MRI of the Cervical spine IF the MRI of the head/brain is clean.  

You can also ask for the CT of the thorax too WITH IV contrast.  

Get a b12 level, iron panel and a vitamin D level drawn.  Have the thyroid panel rechecked.  

Have you had any labs drawn recently?
Hi thanks a lot, I will do what you suggest me.

Yes, I had labs three weeks ago approx and everything done (CBC, liver function, renal function, TSH, T3, T4, ESR) was in normal range.
Ok, then scratch the thyroid profile.  

Keep us posted.  

All the best.  
I'll let you know any finding! :)

Thanks a lot! :)
I hope you are better by now.  Curious to know if you found out what it is.  My fiancee is experiencing the same and worse symptoms and two neurologists and a GP can not figure out.  MRI and all other tests normal.  Losing ability to walk and talk.  Severe pain in lower back and down outside of legs.

Really hope to find something out soon.  New MRI tomorrow afternoon.

I';m praying.

Hi NYCLori:

I actually went to several neurologists, and the last two diagnosed me essential tremor.

Fortunately, my tremors did not get worse, so I am learning to deal with them; they are not disabling but some "normal things" are kind of complicated to me (pointing the mouse to a very exact point, for example) and my eyes cannot point exactly to the stuff I am staring [I do not know if that is just a visual problem, an anxiety symptom or something related to the essential tremor too].

They medicated me with propanolol; my tremors diminish when I use it, but they do not dissapear, so I prefer not use it yet [don't want to be dependant of such thing].

I hope your fianceé will have something simple or something benign as my ET; it makes the life a little harder, but you can continue with it.

I will pray for you both too.