Neurology Community
Strange sensation in heel

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Strange sensation in heel

I've been having a strange sensation this last week that seems to happen all day long.

It feels like a low-level electrical shock pulsing from the bottom right on the heel of my foot, through to about halfway to my pinky toe. I feel it constantly, day and night, no matter the position of my leg. It comes in 1 second bursts and then a break for 1 second. When holding my foot in my hand, I don't sense it externally, only internally, so I assume it is related to nerve conduction in some way.

It does not cause me any discomfort when I walk. If anything I don't sense it at all unless sitting or lying down and even then I sometimes hardly notice it unless I really pay attention. But it is NOT normal for me so I wonder what it could be.

Any help is appreciated.

I will be going to visit my family doctor in a few weeks, but am a bit worried and wonder if I should go sooner.

Christine

Does this sensation feel like tingling and or numbness?
This can be due to a nerve compression or a nerve injury or neural weakness. I would suggest you to take OTC B12 supplements and see if they help.
The exact diagnosis can only be made by physical examination and tests. Do keep me posted.

Avatar n tn
Yes, tingling definately but I don't notice any numbness. It almost feels like the pins and needles you sense when your foot is asleep, but since it conducts itself so quickly (one second intervals) I don't have any "time" to get a full sense of it.

I have no idea how I did this, except that the same leg has a healed meniscal tear (from over a year ago) but I don't thin it's related.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try the OTC B12 and let you know.

Of course physical exam is on the list, but I wasn't sure if I should be worried.

Thanks again.

Chris