Strange sensation in heel
I've been having a strange sensation this last week that seems to happen all day long.

It feels like a low-level electrical shock pulsing from the bottom right on the heel of my foot, through to about halfway to my pinky toe. I feel it constantly, day and night, no matter the position of my leg. It comes in 1 second bursts and then a break for 1 second. When holding my foot in my hand, I don't sense it externally, only internally, so I assume it is related to nerve conduction in some way.

It does not cause me any discomfort when I walk. If anything I don't sense it at all unless sitting or lying down and even then I sometimes hardly notice it unless I really pay attention. But it is NOT normal for me so I wonder what it could be.

Any help is appreciated.

I will be going to visit my family doctor in a few weeks, but am a bit worried and wonder if I should go sooner.

Christine

Does this sensation feel like tingling and or numbness?
This can be due to a nerve compression or a nerve injury or neural weakness. I would suggest you to take OTC B12 supplements and see if they help.
The exact diagnosis can only be made by physical examination and tests. Do keep me posted.

Yes, tingling definately but I don't notice any numbness. It almost feels like the pins and needles you sense when your foot is asleep, but since it conducts itself so quickly (one second intervals) I don't have any "time" to get a full sense of it.

I have no idea how I did this, except that the same leg has a healed meniscal tear (from over a year ago) but I don't thin it's related.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try the OTC B12 and let you know.

Of course physical exam is on the list, but I wasn't sure if I should be worried.

Thanks again.

Chris