Neurology Expert Forum
Stress and nerves?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Stress and nerves?

I have had flutters like a nerve feeling under my chin .  What could be causing this.  I am under alot of stress and I get like spasms in my neck and near my collar bone.  It comes and goes.  I do have a stress test coming Jan 3rd.  My doctor took a cardiogram and that was fine.  I have had laryngitis for a few weeks after a sore throat. the flutters came first.  Any info would be great.

Judy
Dear Judy:

I am sorry that you have flutters.  It is difficult to tell you much.  Muscle fasciculations or flutters can occur from a variety of reasons, from benign to very worrisome.  We try and rule out the worrisome things like disease, or spinal cord problems or brain problems first.  Usually, a neurological examination and some laboratory tests are all that are needed to begin the exploration.  Many times we don't find a reason, and we give the muscle twitches a name of benign fasciculations.  These are small to large muscle twitches that will come and go over time.  They can reoccur.  They are worse with fatigue, stress, illness.  We don't know the reason for their occurrance, but about 30% follow a viral infection.  So, that means that the majority of people with benign fasciculations we don't have a reason for their muscles twitching.  This may or may not be the case for you.  I would suggest that you get a good neurological evaluation (which sounds like your doing).

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD