Stroke or Pinched Nerve?
I'm between 45 and 50, non-smoker, exercise regularly.  Not overweight, normal blood pressure, normal cholestoral, normal clotting, and no family history of stroke.  I woke up in the middle of the night and had very limited movement in  my right hand.  Slight tingling on my right side.  But I thought mt arm was asleep and so I went back to sleep.  Two hours later I woke up and still had the same symptoms.  I was driven to the hospital by my wife, and I told the ER doctor I thought I must be having a stroke.  Two days in the hospital with an MRI, CAT Scan, EKGs, chest ultrasound, blood tests.  No evidence of a stroke, good arteries, good heart, but that's the diagnosois.  Now I'm wondering if I have a pinched nerve?  No more tingling, that went away after a few hours.  But still having trouble extending the fingers out on my right hand, especially towards my pinky.  I'm going back to my doctor tomorrow, but their diagnosis is a stroke.  I'd like to get them to test for a pinched nerve.  Do you think this is likely?  What tests can be done?
How are you feeling?
Yes it is likely that you have pinched nerve. What MRI you have got it done? Is it Brain or Spine?
If it is only brain then I think you should be doing at least MRI of cervical region to rule out pathology of cervical spine including any spinal disc pathology.
If you have done spine MRI then what is the report?
I think you should be continuing treatment for stroke and get a review opinion from a neurologist regarding your numbness till your pinky finger.
I feel it might be due to your nerve compression and nerve in question here is Ulnar nerve.
Keep me informed.
Bye.
Feeling much better, thank for asking.  Each day I get more control of my fingers. Almost back to full mobility now.  I had a brain and neck MRI.  I think they diagnosed a stroke because I reported weakness and tingling on the right side of my body, in addition to the more severe immobility in my hand.  I see my primary physician today because the neurologist said (in his report) that no followup with him was necessary.  This is after he was a no-show at the hostpital the day after, and had his associate talk to me by phone (while I was in the hospital) instead.  His associate said I would have a follow-up neurology appointment but I guess they changed their mind.  Now I need a referral to get back to see him.  Guess they figure a healthy middle age man having a stroke is just another routine matter.
I had a very jolting pain yesterday, like 20 knives sticking me in my middle left back. I got up and walked it off in one minute. The left side of my body felt a little numb but went away in 2 hours, I still have a slight headache this morning.

Reading many posts, 9 out of 10 strokes have no pain? I thinking this was a pinched nerve? I can't stand to go to the hospital/emergency it would have made me more jittery and maybe another pinched nerve?

I have Diabetes, high blood pressure, but this is in very good control.

Any thoughts? please? thanks.

Al