Neurology Expert Forum
Stroke relationship with cramps

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Stroke relationship with cramps

I was diagnosed with having a Stroke in 1994.  This had occured shortly after having Neck Surgery with the Fusion of three of the Vertebrae.  I was fortunate as I recived the "Clot Breaking" medication within 30 minutes of the start of the event.  I received followup with the Doctor that was in charge of the Neuro-Emergancy Ward at the University of PA. (Dr. Eric Rapp, who is now discesed).

I now have Severe Periphial Neuropathy.  This was confirmed with the test that measures the reacton of the muscles to electro stimulation.  (I recently had an advanced Ulcer on the ball of my foot which I had ignored, thinking it was the result of a blister.)  I was told that if I had waited much longer I would have lost the foot

My question is that I am now experincing frequent cramps in my hands.  This occurs a lot in my right hand and the first two fingers and the other two fingers will spread in a rigid "V" seperation.  I also have frequent cramps in my legs as well. Would the problems with the cramps be related to my other aliments or are they related to something else?  I presently take Neurotin 800mg 2xday
The cramps can be related to your peripheral neuropathy or, if you had stiffness, from the stroke. You should discuss this with your neurologist to ensure that no other condition is occuring. They may want to check some electrolytes, and muscle enzymes. Good luck.
my husband had a stroke on a brain steam where your bal is feb. 16 at 42 and they say its from having rocky mountain spotted fever. he was getting better and now he is like the stroke 1st happen help on what could be going on no high sugar no high blood pressure  veins are clear no high closteral he is in good a health for 42 year old .his blood is not thick white cell are around 15 showing infection had 2 test cbi for rocky mountain spotted fever came back postive and went on med docy something was getting so much better the dizzieness was going away 5days after getting off antiboctic his symtoms (symptoms) came back dizzieness right side draging slurred speach he had this rmsf for almost a year the 3rd test for rmsf came neg but they did not do a blood count just tested for the rocky mountain what could be going on he has had mri showed stroke brain steam ct scan showed nothing even on the second one help us