Neurology Community
Subarachnoid cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Subarachnoid cyst

My brother has had a shunt in situ since 2000 following discovery of a subarachnoid cyst. It was discovered when he complained of "pins and needles" numbness and weakness down his right side. Following the shunt op, he continued to have R sided weakness associated with a short term memory deficit. The shunt was repeated in 2006 when it was discovered the drainage tube from the shunt had blocked causing the cyst to enlarge again. R sided weakness and STM issues remained.. Probably to a more problematic level although he was still independent.
In 2007 he was the victim of a hit and run road traffic accident and was left severely disabled with increased muscle tone in all limbs and wheel chair dependent.STM is very poor.
We are currently claiming against the insurers but they've found a specialist in head injuries who has said that due to the cyst and associated health and memory issues following the shunt operations, they believe he would have been "as disabled as he is now 10-15yrs post op"
My question is; is there any research that proves this? We feel this could be speculation on the insurers side to limit paying out for his care costs but can find very little evidence of long term deterioration following insertion of shunts into SA cysts.
I'm not entirely sure where the cyst was discovered but know that he had R sided weakness pre and post op and has a 3 inch scar behind his R ear.
Any information would be a great help and equally where to find research (if any) would be an advantage.
Hi there!  

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinician evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. It would be difficult to say if the disability would have been the same with the SAC and other neurological issues, as with the accident; though with the description I would not believe this to be true. In legal cases, the responsibility to provide supporting evidence and research would lie on the head injury specialist. I would suggest discussing the issue in detail with a lawyer before deciding on the future plan.  
Hope the information is helpful.  

Take care!