Neurology Community
Subdural Hematoma

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Subdural Hematoma

My 92-year old grandfather recently came to the hospital for a fairly minor hip surgery. After the surgery, he was fine and was speaking, but less than 24 hours later, his blood pressure dropped immensely and he became unconscious. They discovered 1cm of blood around his brain. They described it as being a thick paste. Since then, the bleeding has stopped and there have been no changes in his CT scans. He has been put on a breathing machine/suction for the mucus (the hematoma caused him to have mucus/phlegm that he cannot cough up on his own right now because he is in a deep sleep) and yesterday he began randomly opening his eyes and blinking. Today, he began moving his toes/feet/legs. The doctors say we have to take him off the breathing machine within two weeks and cut a hole in his throat and insert a tube (a  tracheostomy?) to help with his breathing. I know he would not have wanted to be kept alive hooked up to a machine, but if there is a chance that weeks or months from now, he can regain consciousness and use of his brain, I think it is worth doing the  tracheostomy to help with his breathing until then. Prior to the accident, he was a very healthy 92-year old. We are unsure if the hematoma was caused by a fall or from the use of blood pressure medicine for his hip surgery (he usually has really know blood pressure and they used medicine to raise his blood pressure).