Subdural Hygroma
Dear Sir,
My Father's MRI report gives the following impression "The non contrast MRI findings of brain are suggestive of small old lacunar infractions at right basal ganglia and adjoining paraventricular white matter with features of mild diffuse celebral atrophy.Bilateral subdural hygroma also noted at the celebral frontal and fronto parietal regions.Please give your suggestions and advice on this subject.
Hello.

The MRI suggests an old injury to the brain. The injury could have been a vascular event such as bleeding, or a head injury. Was there any shunting done?

The hygroma is a collection of cerebrospinal fluid. It is known to originate after sudden decompression, such as in shunting. A chronic hematoma can also give rise to a hygroma.

It will be difficult to give suggestions only on the basis of the MRI findings.

Regards
The Neurologist referred the case to neurosurgeon.The CT Scan and MRI report is the same.Kindly advise the course of action to be taken .Are there any medecianl therapy.No shunting was ever done.There was never a head injury.Pl ease help.
Regards,
Anirban
Sir,
the EEG report was also normal.
Hello.

The treatment will involve a possible drainage of the subdural hygroma. Draining the hygroma will reduce any symptoms such as confused behavior or disorientation. The origin seems to be a bleed. He probably has hypertension. Appropriate control of blood pressure fluctuations is necessary.

The lost functions due to the basal ganglia infarcts and the cerebral atrophy can not be regained. He may need certain multivitamin supplementation and some neuroprotective drugs.

Regards
Could you please let me know the process of draining of subdural hygroma.What is the healing time of patient.
Does the procedure of drainage has any adverse affects on the brain.What is the time period of the operation.What are the post operative complaints.
I am eagerly awaiting for your reply.
thanks
Hello.

The decision to drain the subdural hygroma has to be taken by the Neurosurgeon. Often, small hygromas which do not produce pressure symptoms are left untouched. The technique of drainage depends on the location and size of the hygromas. It may be a small OPD procedure or an inpatient admission may be needed.

There are no serious side effects from the procedure. He may have headaches for some time after the procedure.

Regards
Thanks for your valuable suggestion.
Today I am meeting the neurosurgeon post you of the developments.
thanks.
Anirban
Today I met the Neurosurgeon with my father he has given his valueable advice that no treatment is required and advised to continue a normal life.
Thanks and Regards,
Anirban sinha
Hello.

I am glad that there is nothing to worry about.

Regards
Thank you so much