Neurology Community
Subnormal and fluctuating body temperature

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

7 months ago, I started with a sore throat followed by flu like symptoms (chills, sweats, weakness, lethargy).  I had no fever but instead my body temperature dropped to as low as 95.5 F.  My temp has since ranged from 95 to 97 and rarely gets up to 98.0. It took nearly 3 months until I felt better and the flu symptoms were gone. My doctor checked for a brain tumor, elevated white count, Eppstein Barr and Mono but all were negative.
2 weeks ago, I again started with a sore throat, temp of 100.5 x 1 day followed by the same flu like symptoms  as 7 mos ago, along with the low body temp cont..  I was tested for the flu (nasal swab) yesterday and it was positive for Influenza A and a sample is being cultured now to check for Swine flu.  No tx was rx'd other than Acetominophen.
I believe that I had the flu back in Nov and that it lasted for nearly 3 months.  I cannot tolerate this again for 3 months.
Why is my body temp so low and erratic (fluctuates within 5 mintues by 1-2 degrees) and without producing a high enough body temp, will my body be able to fight this flu and other viral infections that I contract so i am not sick for months?
Avatar n tn
Sounds like you might have mono. A close friend of mine just got over mono recentally. Not trying to scare you, but aids is a possibility too. I am not a docter so don't take my word for it, but both of my parents are in the medical field (Not that that means anything) but what I've learned from them... If you have been sick for that long it sounds much like you have a big problem with your immune system. I don't care what kind of flu that is! Swine or no it should NOT have taken you that long to get over it.
Avatar n tn
Oh I apologize you have already ruled out mono. I did not read carefully enough.
I recommend having your thyroid checked.  Any weight gain?  I have abnormally low body temps as well, and I am hypothyroidal.  If you have an auto-immune disease it can play hell with your thyroid.  Tests are TSH, Free T3 and T4 for starters.
I have low body temp 94.5-96.5 for many months. I have gained lots of weight but been tested for thyroid, adrenals and a bunch of other tests, all normal. I have seen 3 DR's and so far nothing.
Any thoughts anyone
Check out iodine deficiencies Sammie01

http://theiodineproject.webs.com/

if there is an iron deficiency that is the problem, it will give normal test results. From what I researched and also know first hand.