Neurology Expert Forum
Sudden Ear/Head Pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sudden Ear/Head Pressure

Hello and thank you so much for these boards.  The last few weeks I have been having bouts of head/ear pressure.  It comes on quite suddenly and slowly tapers off.  It feels as though my ears need to be popped or as though there is a great build-up of fluid.  There is nothing particular that "brings it on" it just comes and goes. Most of the pressure appears to be in my ears and sinuses.  I had a CT Scan last week that was Clear and am scheduled for an MRI but couldn't get an appointment until July 5.  Is this something concerning that I should push for an MRI appointment sooner?  I haven't been getting headaches or anything, just this intense pressure.  Thanks so much!!!
Its unclear whether his problem could be neurological or not

A CT scan would exclude a blockage of cerebrospinal fluid as in this case the ventricles/fluid spaces would be enlarged

While an MRI scan will help to further exclude a neurological cause, you should also have an ENT evaluation and a good ear exam
A mass or growth blocking any of the ducts or passages (ie the eusatican tube) should be excluded

Over the internet I am limited in terms of giving you a diagnosis, as I have not seen you and your scans
I experienced a sudden loss of hearing in my left ear.  I am also experiencing a numbness in the left side of my head.  The tests done have revealed nothing wrong.  I am wondering if this is related to a root canal I had years ago, which is on the same side and seemingly contains mercury.  The numbness is rather strange and the only thing it reminds me of is after visiting a dentist for minor surgery.

I have had CT Scan, MRI, blood tests and an echocardiogram.  What else to do is beyond me.  My ENT specialist is baffled especially by the numbness in the head.
I have had ear pressure for about 10 years.  Now I'm having a dull ache along the lower back of my head and I have loud crackling in my ears when I swallow as if they want to open up, but won't.  I feel spacey almost all the time, except when laying down or sleeping.  Sometimes feel like I can't remember certain things or words.  It affects my equilibrium quite often.  I've had my ears checked 2-3 times - ok, had my eyes checked - ok, been to a chiroprator for neck pressure problems - was out of alignment.  I've been aligned now, but still have the symptoms.  Now seeing an Internist who suggested an MRI to check my Brain, Blood Tests, maybe thyroid problem, but he thinks it's most likely Atypical Migraines.  I do work on the computer evryday doing graphics, but not always in front of the computer.  I move around quite often.  Work under Flourescent lighting.  My eyes feel like they are bulging or filling up with pressure sometimes.  Rarely have a normal headache and if I do usually 3 aspirin takes care of it.  Thought it was hypoglycemia, but doctor doesn't see any other symptoms to validate it.  I do eat pretty healthy and exercise regularly.  I don't drink very much and I don't smoke.  Have had no other medical problems prior to this.  Sometimes get a tingling feeling in my left arm and also feel like I'm going to faint.  Have had the feeling like I'm crazy or about to die, just like all organs are about to quit.
The post from Jilly Bean (hope that's right) sounds a lot like me.  I have been having ear pressure and lately feel like I have a pain in the back of my lower head with a throbbing or pulsing.  When I cough even slightly it makes it worse.  The same thing with my eyes.  I feel pressure behind them and like you described like they are filling up with fluid.

I do have sarcoidosis and am not sure if the symptoms are related as I have just weaned off of prednisone lately.  I also was on an antibiotic a couple of weeks ago for a sinus infection, but am wondering if it is still lingering.  I do not have stuffiness, congestion, or runny nose.  I did run a low grade fever awhile back.  Just confused as to what's wrong with me.  I also can relate totally to feeling wierd, worrying that I'm going to die etc.
A related discussion, what should I do to help myself was started.
A related discussion, Ear presure was started.
A related discussion, my first day head pressure was started.