Neurology Community
Sudden Heel Pain??? So Weird!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sudden Heel Pain??? So Weird!!!

I am having some strange pains in my heel. It happens suddenly. It doesn't matter if I'm laying, sitting, or standing. I feel a sharp, stabbing pain, as if someone takes a needle and jabs it into my heel. It only lasts for a couple of seconds, then it's gone and I feel no pain at all. It happens randomly throughout the day. Sometimes it will happen 8 or 9 times a day. Sometimes only 1 or 2 times.

I have no clue what could be causing this. I've read about bone spurs, but I'm not sure if a bone spur would cause random sudden sharp pain that only lasts for a second or two at a time.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? I should probably go see a doctor, but I would like to find out if anyone else has experienced anything similar or if there is any information out there that I can read. I have no other pain in my heel or foot other than this and I've never had any problems with my feet before.

Hey i know you posted this 2 years ago but I am having the same problems as you and its a little crazy for me cause im deployed at the moment. I wanted to know if you have found out what the problem was and how you got it repaired?
Avatar n tn
For either goolia75 or ihateclowns919, have either of you found a solution to this problem.  I have the exact same problem.  It is an infrequent, random, spontaneous shooting pain that is just like someone is sticking a needle up into the underside of my right heel.  It might last a few seconds, and there might be several of these shooting or stabbing pains within a period of a minute or a few minutes.  Then it will stop and I have no pain at all, and I may not get another one for a day, or several days, or even longer.  But when they happen, they are excruciating and unbearable... to the point where I am literally screaming or writhing around in pain.  They literally take my breath away sometimes.  It feels like a nerve pain, but I have no idea what could cause this.  Has anyone found out anything more?  Thanks.
HockeyFanInCO ditto here, did you get it fixed? I have 100% the same issue for the last 2.5 months.  It wakes me up at night. I have a bad feeling it's a trapped nerve that will require surgery/
Avatar n tn
Yesterday as I was driving home the same thing happened to me and it has happened about 15 times since!  I'd love to know if anyone knows what it is.
I've had the same issue for at least a decade now.  I go months and months with no pain, then all of a sudden, I get a shooting, sharp, electric shock like pain in my heel..usually the left heel.  I can get these pains 10-15 times a day...then the next day 3 times.  These episodes could occur on and off for a few months, then the pain disappears for a few months with no explanation.

I've seen absolutely no information on this issue anywhere online.  I'm sure it's not a spur.  This occurs at night laying down, walking, sitting at my desk, etc.  It's all over the map.  It seems to happen at random times, as I'm performing random activities.
Hi Sally, I've started having this pain in bed this morning and it's so sharp that it gives me a headache.  It's been happening on and off all morning and it is very painful.  It's like a needle in my heel and then it stops just to hit me again.  It feels like a nerve pain, but I do not have diabetes.  Have you gotten more info.?
Did your pain start with soarness most noticeable in the morning on top of your foot behind the small toes for a few days, then go away with the sudden stabbing heel pain episodes as most here described coming after the previous soarness disappeared.

Cuz that's what I'm experiencing.
soreness.

brain cramp typo.
I've recently started feeling the exact same needle like stabbing pain in my left heel as if someone is poking a needle into my heel a couple of times. Then it's gone. It's suddenly started yesterday...never experienced this before. It's happened 2-3 times a day. God knows what's causing it. I'm a Pharmacist and work in a private clinic. I'm going to have a few words with the doctors there.
Hi Jayg56

Were you able to find out anything about it from the Doctors as you mentioned ?
I am having the same experience as sallyweaver and others are having.
Has anyone been able to ascertain the cause or whether its serious ??

I just read somewhere that if you treat it with ice whenever possible and wera supportive shoes in your house (don't go barefoot), it will self-heal. It could be a diabetes issue but since I am in denial, I am going the ice route for now until I can get benefits at my new job. GOOD LUCK!
HAHAHA sorry! I obviously was excited to share what I knew. Also I read that it could be results of a minor Achilles tendon injury, that might be flaring up. I worked for Nabisco for two years and only twice got my heel with my 700 lb cart. It didn't tear, but it did hurt in the worst way. I have also had my heel run over a few times by my kids pushing a shopping cart. Even if you have only had that happen, it could have residual effects.
I get excruciating heel pain at night when I am sleeping.. that I have to move down from the bed and let the right heel just hang off the bed to avoid the pain..It's weird because I wake up screaming like hell.. It really hurts..
I am having very sharp stabbing pain on my right heel. It comes all of a sudden that i wake up and makes my heart beat so fast and the pain makes me yell out.  It usually last for seconds, comes and goes like a throbbing pain and  I get it when im at rest. Has anyone find out what it is? please help.
Wow at least im not alone.  I feel the pain in my left heel only when i climb on my bed or when i stretch my foot inwardly.  So every time im in a climbing position i get this excruciating pain.  Its like im hurting a healing wound in my heel when there is no wound.  
Having same symptoms.... Has anyone found out what the cause is?
This started happening to me about a month ago.  Right heel kind of toward the outside.  Today it's happening about every five or ten minutes.  It's totally random.  There's nothing I can do to make it happen, it just comes on for a few seconds then goes away.
I have the same thing...when I stretch my foot inwardly...it feels like a nerve is about to snap in the back of my heel! HELP!
I have a terrible sharp stabbing pain in my heel that is random also. Happens mostly at night, occurs while sitting down also. It feels like it is in the bone itself. I am almost certain it is not a spur. I had a crushed heel and ankle almost 20 years ago, and often wonder if it is related to that injury. I would like to know if anyone has ever found out what their pain is caused from.
I should start by saying I'm not a Doctor..!

The problem that most seem to describe here is what I've just been experiencing, although mild by comparison to many of you.

It would appear that we all have some form of Plantar Faciitis - a thickening of the Plantar Fascia, the fibrous tissue that runs on the bottom of your foot between the toes and heel bone, acting as a shock absorber.

It's very common (approx 1 in 10 will suffer some form of problem in their lifetime) and will, for 80% of you, pass within a year. Only 1 in 20 sufferers would be likely to ever need surgery.

Rest, stretching, pain relief and correctly fitting shoes are the immediate (and cheap) treatments. If you also happen to be overweight, then weight loss is very likely to help.

I hope this helps some of you - just Google Plantar Faciitis for more info.
I think the pain due to plantar fasciitis. I am sharing an article with you all. Read the entire information regarding heel pain : http://painclinic.sg/category/plantar-fasciitis-and-heel-pain.htm
Avatar n tn
Plantar fascitis usually causes this pain in the inside of the foot and heel. Some folks, and myself, have this pain on the outside of the heel, without tenderness or swelling. Sudden stabbing pain especially tipping foot inward with ankle out.  I am more likely to think this has something to do with the achilles tendon. Still waiting for a podiatrist appointment.
I have had plantar fasciitis, but this excruciatingly sharp stabbing pain is new and not the normal plantar fasciitis pain I've experience in the past. The sudden pains usually happen when there is no pressure on my foot; when I'm sitting or lying down. I think it may be partially due to dehydration. I've noticed an improvement when I'm drinking more water, though this doesn't resolve it entirely. Has anyone else noticed a connection with water intake?
my partner is experiencing the same symptoms and just left the emergency room, they have recommended magnesium and increase of water intake. have you found any other form of relief?.
an update to my message on Sept 21 on use of magnesium and water, so far the horrifc pains are subsiding and over the past 2 days only 1 or 2 incidents vs. 9-10 previously...Maybe this will help
Hi Everyone,

So many posts and no expert response!

I've had same needle like, sharp shooting pain, that lasts for 2 seconds when I bend over at office or home to pick up something off the floor. Been going on for around 5-6 months.

Done blood tests, all well. But had vitamin D deficiency, and A borderline toxicity. Stopped all A supps and foods (like liver, eggs). Added high dose vit D to diet (D Drops then caps). All of sudden, the pain is gone!

Could the pain be related to excess A, severe D deficiency. I do not know, but I think there has to be strong connection there. What I mean by that:

Excess A and lack of D both condition can lead to bone, nerve tissue problems. As far as I read from various and extensive medical sources on the web.

Hope my post been of some help to ya all.

To good health!

Cheers.
I've been researching because I started having this pain last night, while awake but lying down.  It's like several others described, a shocking sudden intense pain like a needle in my posterior right heel, below the bone (calcaneus), slightly to the lateral side. It feels like its superficial and lasts a second or two.  I can't make it happen by moving my foot a certain way or pressing on any area.  So far I'm thinking about nerve pain (related to my back?).  I don't think it's fasciitis because it's not sore when I walk or press on it. But I guess it could be.  I wish a DPM or other professional would reply on this topic. I have no medical conditions, normal weight, 45 year old female.
Avatar n tn
My mom is having the same problem. Sometimes 10-12 times a day and sometimes just 3-4 times. The pain comes even when she is not moving and retains the same posture which is so weird.

Also, we tried massage, ultrasound physiotherapy but those did not help.

Can't see her in so much pain when it comes...lasts for seconds but those seconds are terrible. She is perfect after that. Randomness of the pain just is so bizarre.

If anyone found anything besides VitD, Magnesium and Vita toxicity, please share.

Thanks,
Ratul
Hi all,

Eureka! I have finally found other people who experience what I have been battling for approx 13 years. I too occasionally experience severe pains which shoot from my right heel area, and feel like stabbing electric-shock type pains, which only last 1-3 seconds, but will cause me to crumple and scream. There is absolutely no pain between shocks, and the shocks will come sporadically, no matter what it is I am doing (I.e walking, sleeping, sitting etc). The pain is extraordinary, as it is wierd. I have had specialist tests, but no one can tell me what is wrong.
I also have this heel pain, for about 5 months now. I don't want to gross anyone out, but I'm pretty sure my heel pain is related to the parasite infection I was diagnosed with 2 weeks ago. The source of the parasite is either from my trip to Costa Rica 8 months ago, or from last summer, when I decided to do the new healthy thing called 'Earthing' where you walk in your bare feet in the grass in order to have the direct path for the earth's energy to enter you through the soles of the feel. I may have had 'something else' enter my feet. So I have the heel pain WITH gastrointestinal symptoms, like: abdominal pain, bloating loss of appetite and other symptoms. Just putting this out there in case some has IBS AND the heel pain. (I have had plantar fasciitis and this in NOT that)
Did anyone who has the sharp stabbing pains ever have shingles?
I have the same pain!! Its so bizarre. only been having it for about a week. The only thing i have changed was taking a vit B supp and fish oils..both of which i have taken in the past. The pain come so unexpectedly and goes after about 10 seconds. I can be walking, sitting, or anything. It had not yet happened when I am asleep. It is still winter here and I am most prob vit D deficient at the moment, but I am taking a vit D drop supp..so not sure..This is ridiculous. My sis-in-law is a podiatrist and I have asked her opinion..if she says anything worth noting, I'll post it.
Hi All , Same here. Just started feeling the pain a little while ago about 7 times in the past couple hours (I'm at work in heels and been on my feet conducting a seminar) I joined the gym yesterday I am around 50 lbs. overweight but I'm fairly fit however haven't exercised for around 4 months ...walked for 40min and bicycle for 20min so I attributed the pain which is brief but quite intense, to overdoing it on the first day back, will check out the Plantar Fasciitis but hopeful its nothing to serious
Have experienced same excruciating pain recently. I think Mt Podiatrist nailed it with Medial Calcaneal Nerve Entrapment. Google it and stacks up.
mine has gone away but if it comes back into scans and possible remedies. Half the battle is knowing the cause. Will post any treatment undertaken
Ok so I'm here because of the same pains..obviously. Looking for a cause then hopefully a cure. So far I'm not convinced by what's been discussed.

Mine just appears from nowhere.. Absolutely horrendous , severe sharp stabbing like pain under right heel area... I say stabbing , it's worse than a needle type as some describe it ..and I'd say it's more like a stabbing with a knife ..from the inside out !    

It lasts around 10 secs or so but is bad enough to make me shriek in pain....then not just goes off. I feel the after effects.. Ie, now, it's sore..but it will go off, from past experience -until the next time.

Doc has no clue...or more accurately, no interest.   It would be good if some sufferers have found a cause /cure or even some help .. Ty.
This is different from what is described on the internet.  I have the very same pain as you.  Guess I will email my doctor and find out but it comes on while I am sleeping and I get the chills just thinking about it.  Very sharp needle like pain that last for maybe 5 seconds and goes away for 10 minutes then comes back.  I took Advil and was good the rest of the night but I don't know if it was the Advil that helped.  First time it has happened.  Wish I had an answer before tonight.  LOL
i,m from Turkey.i have some old remedy is definitely work because i do have a same problem and i did use this natural remedy and work well. all you need is sesame oil-black dry grape with seed-dry crushed red paprika. first make a massage the bottom of your feet where is the pain is with sesame oil after 15 minutes later  .crash the black grape with hard object until you hear the seeds from grapes are cracked than wrap that under your foot.You do this first-second and 3 day  before you go sleep and keep it until morning.Next 3 day  red dry paprika same practice 1,2,3 days.next you put 2 of this items together same practice for 3 days.you will see the differences .pain will be gone and you will feel great.please share this info if some 1 have same problem .god bless
I guess misery loves company.  I'm sorry to hear so many other people having the same problem I'm having but kinda glad to hear I'm not alone at the same time.  Just a couple of nights ago I woke up to a REALLY INTENSE stabbing pain in my right heel.  Felt like someone was trying to drive a nail into my heel bone.  Pain only lasted 2-3 seconds and then was 100% gone.  Same thing happened another 7-8 times that night.  Last night was same thing again.  The thing that reminded me of it was that I just had that same pain again sitting in a chair in the middle of the day.  Man, I hope this is a "passing thing."  The pain is about unbearable when it hits.
I too have this same sharp heel pain. Crazy that this post started almost 6 years ago and not one person has figured out what it is or posted anything that is really helpful. Hopefully it will go away.
This may sound strange but I've been thinking the knife like stabs in the back of my right heel are due to acidity.  I read somewhere that citrus rind is alkaline so I mix lemon rind with water and drink it.  This has been stopping the jabbing pains immediately for me.  The pains may come back hours later but then I do the same thing again and it goes away.
I have greatly appreciated the shared experiences above and learned from them.  I recently experienced the excruciating heel pains described by most of you.  I have a high tolerance for pain, but these bolts of pain were so bad that my arms would tremble uncontrollably until they were over.  At worst, they occured every 10-40 seconds for several hours.  An internet search indicated the beginnings of plantar fascitis or an entrapped nerve, common ailments for people who stand on hard surfaces, have poor foot support, etc. .  I fill that bill, having recently worn some old shoes I had for some work that required standing on cement all day.  I was wondering how many of you might be able to source your ailments to new or different shoes.
Regardless, I took ibuprofen and iced the heel to reduce the inflammation, drank lots of water as recommended by someone, and took some magnesium as recommended by another.  I can't tell you the relief that brought.  I don't think the ibuprofen alone did it and feel strongly the magnesium had a lot to do with the final relief.  When the pain came back today, I immediately repeated the above and the pain has been gone for several hours.
Hoping to finally get some sleep tonight.
I have had the same random sharp jabbing nerve pain for weeks at a time. They come 10-12 times a day. mostly when sitting or sleeping but it has happened while standing. It is so severe it feels like my heart stops and takes my breath away. I have seen a chiropractor and physical therapist and nerve entrapment has been discussed. It went away after treatment by them for almost 6 months now it is back.
Did you get any results from your doctor ?
please help me if you have any news to share.
i am having the same heel issues. Did you find a cure?
Please help!
Have you found a cure? I am having the same jabbing pain.
Please share any info you can.
Thank you
I am having the same foot / heel pain . Did you find a cure?
Please help
Have you found an answer to your pain? I am have the exact same issue. Please help. I heard it may be nerve entrapment? I am seeing a Chiropractor and postural therapist and getting orthotic inserts. This is driving me crazy I am in fine shape except for this issue. Please share any info you can.
Thank you
I have been experiencing the pain primarily when I've been in bed after about two hours.  It affects me most of the night on and off.  I thought I had dry skin that had cracked and was irritated at first and tried using a skin lubricant "Gold Bond" to sooth the pain.  I finally put two and two together and determined that I only experience the pain when I'm in bed at night.  I elevated my bed and sleep on two pillows that seems to help.  I told my Doc and he gave me a prescription to relax my blood vessels.  The thinking here is that I have an arterial obstruction.  That seemed to work after several days but I experienced dizziness when going from seated to standing. I have just had an arterial sonogram and it indicates that I have about 50% blockage in my legs and am scheduled for a stomach angiogram.  The cardiologist thinks that the pain is not a result of the blockage because normally you would experience blockage pain in the calf.  We'll see.  I'm due to have the angiogram after thanksgiving and a stent if found necessary.  The cardiologist said the angiogram would reveal if blockage is causing the pain.  In the mean time I'm going to try 600 mg of magnesium to see how that works.
Well, if 20 people feel the same pain there could be 20 different causes.

But I'm suspecting, for me, this might be some sort of sciatica incident. I have a burning discomfort in my right leg from sciatica, fairly constant. I suspect it's caused by piriformis muscle pressure.

Last night, watching tv, i got the sudden heel pain in my other leg. Excruciating. Several stabs. Made me say bad words. Interestingly, i had felt some discomfort in the gluteus just moments before.

Anyway, for anyone looking for an answer, this is something to check out. Sciatica can cause all sorts of leg pains.
Follow up to doctor visit..I had my foot xrayed and a few things showed up,  a bone cyst and a heel spur ..the spur is toward the back of the heel not under the heel. Both of which per the doctor are not causing my problem. I did start taking a potassium and magnesium pill daily (i believe this has helped as it has others) . He said that was fine and also suggested B-complex...I researched B1 has neurological  benefits. So, at end of the day he agreed I have a very strange problem...he believes some type of nerve thing and nothing to do with my foot. He did prescribe a topic cream that can help inflammation in the area of the pain. Also said that an MRI would show tendon problems and more on the bone cyst if I wanted to pursue that more. For the record my attacks have reduced and the pain not as server...the other day I had no attacks...so I guess I will say the vitamins are helping.
update...my attacks still continue...so doing more research i decided it must be nerve issue..so i made appt. with my chiropractor which I have gone to for back pains over the years...I described the area of pain, wa la after one treatment my attacks were gone....after a week I started to feel the attacks wanting to return but never amounted into a full attack. So, I made another appt and now I feel I have found the root cause and treatment.      
Can't believe there are no helpful comments on here! The symptoms are all very similar. Hey guys- have an ultra-sound like I did. Plantar Fasciitis is the usual bruised foot/can't walk in the morning issue (same symptoms as a heel spur). But the stabbing pain  (like an injection or knife) that comes suddenly and unexpectedly may well be a torn plantar fascia which is what I have. No fun. I'm having shock therapy for this issue. That's no fun either! But gradually I feel that the symptoms are improving. Roll your heel repeatedly over a frozen lemon each night. Look up suitable exercises for plantar fasciitis. Stretching the calf is important especially in the morning.
I too have been having these stabbing pains in the left top of the inner right foot, between my ankle and my heel - I take lots of Vitamin D, exercise regularly in the water.  It just comes and goes, but it knocks me out to the point of buckling at the knees this morning.  I know it's not plantars facilitis because it's on the side of my foot, not the bottom.  Sure hope someone can find an answer.
This has happened to me 2 times in the last week!! I have never had sharp shooting pains like this before... My right foot is only affected as well... Have you found out what it is caused from??
This has happened to me 2 times in the last week!! I have never had sharp shooting pains like this before... Almost like a knife being rammed into my foot!!! This happens on my right foot only... Have you found out what it is caused from??
I drink almost a gallon of water a day and still get them :(