Neurology Community
Sudden Heel Pain??? So Weird!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sudden Heel Pain??? So Weird!!!

I am having some strange pains in my heel. It happens suddenly. It doesn't matter if I'm laying, sitting, or standing. I feel a sharp, stabbing pain, as if someone takes a needle and jabs it into my heel. It only lasts for a couple of seconds, then it's gone and I feel no pain at all. It happens randomly throughout the day. Sometimes it will happen 8 or 9 times a day. Sometimes only 1 or 2 times.

I have no clue what could be causing this. I've read about bone spurs, but I'm not sure if a bone spur would cause random sudden sharp pain that only lasts for a second or two at a time.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? I should probably go see a doctor, but I would like to find out if anyone else has experienced anything similar or if there is any information out there that I can read. I have no other pain in my heel or foot other than this and I've never had any problems with my feet before.

Hey i know you posted this 2 years ago but I am having the same problems as you and its a little crazy for me cause im deployed at the moment. I wanted to know if you have found out what the problem was and how you got it repaired?
For either goolia75 or ihateclowns919, have either of you found a solution to this problem.  I have the exact same problem.  It is an infrequent, random, spontaneous shooting pain that is just like someone is sticking a needle up into the underside of my right heel.  It might last a few seconds, and there might be several of these shooting or stabbing pains within a period of a minute or a few minutes.  Then it will stop and I have no pain at all, and I may not get another one for a day, or several days, or even longer.  But when they happen, they are excruciating and unbearable... to the point where I am literally screaming or writhing around in pain.  They literally take my breath away sometimes.  It feels like a nerve pain, but I have no idea what could cause this.  Has anyone found out anything more?  Thanks.
HockeyFanInCO ditto here, did you get it fixed? I have 100% the same issue for the last 2.5 months.  It wakes me up at night. I have a bad feeling it's a trapped nerve that will require surgery/
Yesterday as I was driving home the same thing happened to me and it has happened about 15 times since!  I'd love to know if anyone knows what it is.
I've had the same issue for at least a decade now.  I go months and months with no pain, then all of a sudden, I get a shooting, sharp, electric shock like pain in my heel..usually the left heel.  I can get these pains 10-15 times a day...then the next day 3 times.  These episodes could occur on and off for a few months, then the pain disappears for a few months with no explanation.

I've seen absolutely no information on this issue anywhere online.  I'm sure it's not a spur.  This occurs at night laying down, walking, sitting at my desk, etc.  It's all over the map.  It seems to happen at random times, as I'm performing random activities.
Hi Sally, I've started having this pain in bed this morning and it's so sharp that it gives me a headache.  It's been happening on and off all morning and it is very painful.  It's like a needle in my heel and then it stops just to hit me again.  It feels like a nerve pain, but I do not have diabetes.  Have you gotten more info.?
Did your pain start with soarness most noticeable in the morning on top of your foot behind the small toes for a few days, then go away with the sudden stabbing heel pain episodes as most here described coming after the previous soarness disappeared.

Cuz that's what I'm experiencing.
soreness.

brain cramp typo.
I've recently started feeling the exact same needle like stabbing pain in my left heel as if someone is poking a needle into my heel a couple of times. Then it's gone. It's suddenly started yesterday...never experienced this before. It's happened 2-3 times a day. God knows what's causing it. I'm a Pharmacist and work in a private clinic. I'm going to have a few words with the doctors there.
Hi Jayg56

Were you able to find out anything about it from the Doctors as you mentioned ?
I am having the same experience as sallyweaver and others are having.
Has anyone been able to ascertain the cause or whether its serious ??

I just read somewhere that if you treat it with ice whenever possible and wera supportive shoes in your house (don't go barefoot), it will self-heal. It could be a diabetes issue but since I am in denial, I am going the ice route for now until I can get benefits at my new job. GOOD LUCK!
HAHAHA sorry! I obviously was excited to share what I knew. Also I read that it could be results of a minor Achilles tendon injury, that might be flaring up. I worked for Nabisco for two years and only twice got my heel with my 700 lb cart. It didn't tear, but it did hurt in the worst way. I have also had my heel run over a few times by my kids pushing a shopping cart. Even if you have only had that happen, it could have residual effects.
I get excruciating heel pain at night when I am sleeping.. that I have to move down from the bed and let the right heel just hang off the bed to avoid the pain..It's weird because I wake up screaming like hell.. It really hurts..
I am having very sharp stabbing pain on my right heel. It comes all of a sudden that i wake up and makes my heart beat so fast and the pain makes me yell out.  It usually last for seconds, comes and goes like a throbbing pain and  I get it when im at rest. Has anyone find out what it is? please help.
Wow at least im not alone.  I feel the pain in my left heel only when i climb on my bed or when i stretch my foot inwardly.  So every time im in a climbing position i get this excruciating pain.  Its like im hurting a healing wound in my heel when there is no wound.  
Having same symptoms.... Has anyone found out what the cause is?
This started happening to me about a month ago.  Right heel kind of toward the outside.  Today it's happening about every five or ten minutes.  It's totally random.  There's nothing I can do to make it happen, it just comes on for a few seconds then goes away.
I have the same thing...when I stretch my foot inwardly...it feels like a nerve is about to snap in the back of my heel! HELP!
I have a terrible sharp stabbing pain in my heel that is random also. Happens mostly at night, occurs while sitting down also. It feels like it is in the bone itself. I am almost certain it is not a spur. I had a crushed heel and ankle almost 20 years ago, and often wonder if it is related to that injury. I would like to know if anyone has ever found out what their pain is caused from.
I should start by saying I'm not a Doctor..!

The problem that most seem to describe here is what I've just been experiencing, although mild by comparison to many of you.

It would appear that we all have some form of Plantar Faciitis - a thickening of the Plantar Fascia, the fibrous tissue that runs on the bottom of your foot between the toes and heel bone, acting as a shock absorber.

It's very common (approx 1 in 10 will suffer some form of problem in their lifetime) and will, for 80% of you, pass within a year. Only 1 in 20 sufferers would be likely to ever need surgery.

Rest, stretching, pain relief and correctly fitting shoes are the immediate (and cheap) treatments. If you also happen to be overweight, then weight loss is very likely to help.

I hope this helps some of you - just Google Plantar Faciitis for more info.
I think the pain due to plantar fasciitis. I am sharing an article with you all. Read the entire information regarding heel pain : http://painclinic.sg/category/plantar-fasciitis-and-heel-pain.htm