Neurology Community
Sudden Tongue Numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sudden Tongue Numbness

About 10 weeks ago I had the disk between my 5th and 6th (...) in my neck removed because it was severely herniated. under my chin on the right side where they entered, is numb and tingling and about 2 weeks ago my the front portion of my tongue became numb as if I had burned it by eating something too hot. That was not the case. I have been having headaches ever since the numbness in my tongue started. What could this be? Could it be symptoms from the surgery?
It is just the after effects of the surgery..It noramally takes 12-16 weeks to get well completely well after a neurosurgery.
So,relax and take rest.The nerve roots would have got disturbed during operation,just handling of nerve bundles would cause these symptoms of tingling and burning in those areas which the nerve supplies.
Allow the nerve to regenerate.Take rest,for your comfort have a second opininon with a neurophysician.
Goodluck.
There is definitely a possibility that the symptoms you are experiencing might be related to the surgery previously done, especially because of the proximity to the surgical site.  Consult your surgeon regarding this to, at the very least, know how long you might be experiencing this condition and for possible actions (including medicinal drug intake) that could be taken to alleviate these symptoms,