Neurology Community
Sudden adult "dyslexia"
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sudden adult "dyslexia"

I am a 49yr old female w/long hx of HTN well controlled on meds.  When I was 22 I was evaluated for a possible brain tumor due to severe headaches, papillary edema and sudden vision loss in my right eye.  After negative scans/work up, the internist decided I was stressed and suggested Valium and a muslce relaxant.  I passed on those, quit taking BC pills and the headaches eventually disappeared but my vision never returned to normal.  10yrs ago I experienced 3 episodes of severe confusion disorientation( driving home from work was didn't recognize where I was).  My PCP did a brief exam and said I was just stressed out and to "relax".  Recently I have been transposing phone numbers on a regular basis.  I also had a crackling/whish in my right ear.  Because my grandfather had an aneursym, my PCP ordered a MRI/MRA.  The report basically won't commit to a diagnosis per se.  There is mention of atrophy in the frontal lobe with decreasing white matter and a hemangioma.  An incidental finding was a maxillary sinus cyst which I had when the original work up was done when I was 22.  I had forgotten all about it.  My PCP is pushing me to see an ENT first and a neurologist later as she said the brain issues are "chronic".  Well, I've had the sinus cyst for almost 30years so I would think it can wait until I see a neurologist.  Am I wrong to want to see a neuro first?  Is this nothing to worry about?  I've been "poo pooed" twice before and am now wondering if there is more going on.  My younger sister has also been experiencing visual disturbances, confusion/disorientation and general fatigue.  Now she says her daughters (early 20's) are also complaining about headache and "weird sensations" in their ears/limbs.  Is there a genetic neuro dz that could explain our symptoms?