Neurology Community
Sudden finger and hand pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sudden finger and hand pain

Hi wondered if this is something I need to get checked or does it happen to everyone? I sometimes get severe shooting pains through the middle of my hand to my wrist and in some of my fingers.....I've had it a while but recently it's been happening more frequently. I can ignore some pain but this really makes me flinch.

Would appreciate any feedback x
Avatar dr m tn
The most probable cause of sudden finger and wrist pain is Carpal Tunnel syndrome. Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS), or median neuropathy at the wrist, is a medical condition in which the median nerve is compressed at the wrist, leading to paresthesias, numbness and muscle weakness in the hand. It occurs mostly in people who work most of the time on computers or have a repetitive motion of the hand and wrist. Please go for MRI of the arm and wrist and consult a neurologist for diagnosis and treatment. Decompression of nerve if necessary could relieve the symptoms.  Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!