Neurology Community
Sudden pain and swelling in multiple joints
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sudden pain and swelling in multiple joints

I have had severe pain that started in my wrists about 2 weeks ago. I have psoriasis and I have had tendonitis, so I thought it was just those things bothering me. However, over the next few days, the pain got worse and then my fingers started swelling. About 5 days after it started I went to the ER one night because my left arm, from my shoulder to my fingers hurt really bad and had increased in pain and swelling all day. The ER dr. said that my Sed rate was elevated, but not enough to be RA and that my potassium was low. He felt that the arthritis was from my psoriasis and gave me pain meds to take. That was 5 days ago, I still have pain in my shoulders, not as bad though, my fingers are all swollen and my wrists, knees and ankles are swollen. Another thing I've noticed over the last 2 or 3 nights I have been sweating a lot. I go to my dermatologist on Monday,I have been getting Remicade Infusions, but I think I am going to stop them and see a Rheumatologist. Does anyone have any advise as to what else could be causing this?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Don't freak...Your symptoms can be from many things...Have you been placed on prednisone? Have your kidney functions checked (looking for gout); Look to see what your white blood count is -particulary the neutrophils...(looking for autoimmune, leukemia, other infection...) Get checked for tuberculosis, hypercalcemia, and hyper/hyponatremia (too much or too little sodium)...I'll chew on this some more and get back to you...~MM
Blank
1093617_tn?1279305602
Hi, Thank you for your question. Your symptoms can have various possibilities such as osteoporosis, arthritis, other joint related inflammatory conditions like sinovitis etc leading to joint pain. The pain in the hand & elbow could be either as part of same problem or due to hypertension, deep vein thrombosis or any other vascular changes. These entire problems need an investigation before prescribing any medication therefore I would advice to consult your GP or orthopedician in such case. Until then you may use topical/oral pain-relievers available over the counter. Hope this helps.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...