Neurology Community
Suicide statistics for trigeminal neuralgia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Can you tell me where to find statistics on the suicide rate for trigeminal neuralgia. A while back I read somewhere on the internet that 50% of TN-sufferers commit suicide within 3 years. This makes sense, since the condition is devastating if you do not get diagnosed and treated early on. Thank you for your help with reference to statistics.

Best regards,

Edith
I don't believe that the statistics show a 50% suicide rate.  TN is no doubt a horrific condition but many get atleast some relief with a coctail of drugs.  There are also neurosurgeons who perform a motor cortex stimulation surgery (similar to deep brain for parkinsons but on the outer layer of the brain) that reports has about a 50% success rate.  IMO, it would be worth the surgical risks in hopes that I would be in that succesful 50%.
I just got diagnosed with TN, I also have fibromyalgia, and a ripped spinal cord between L1-L5. Pain is a part of my life and has been for many years. I feel that attitude is a great deal of therapy, being with supportive friends and family too. I also believe that God has a way of testing us all and everyone's test is different. This is mine and I am going to fight it til my body gives up, but my spirit never will. (:
I've had TN for over 10 years. Most of these outrageous and false stats come from naturalists who want us to come to them for care as opposed to using drugs or having surgery. Shameful!
I found the quote that says 50% of TN sufferers commit suicide within 3 years. It actually says, 50% of sufferers WHO DON'T FIND SIGNIFICANT RELIEF commit suicide within 3 years. This stat is still suspect. Either way, there IS significant relief out there...medicinal, surgical, and natural.
Whether or not there are painful, invasive treatments that maybe, might help this horrible afflication (and no one puts any of them forward as actual cures, only potential treatments) has absolutely no bearing on the validity of reported suicide statistics. Your opinions that other alternatives are more attractive and that the risk-reward ratio is favorable are also irrelevant to discussion at hand; however, your dismissive tone suggests to me that you yourself have never personally experienced the pain of TN. No one is asking how likely you are to commit suicide. The statistic mentioned reports not probability on an indivdual basis, but occurrence in the population as a whole. While the 50% mark may not be accurate, but your arguments to the contrary have even less grounding in logic or fact than the very notion you attempt to discredit. Is it your contention that trigemenial neuraliga's alternative moniker, "the suicide disiease" is a misnomer simply because you shy away from open discussion of topics that make you uncomfortable? Has this nickname survived for so many decaades merely due to its inaccuracy, or is it possible that you are unable, unwilling or uneducated enough to appreciate that cliches become cliche because of their very truth?