Neurology Community
Sural Nerve Resection

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sural Nerve Resection

I had  Sural Nerve Resection done last month. The nerve was grafted into my arm after I was burned.  The whole side of my foot is numb now. I was told by my surgeon this would happen. What I wasn't told was  even though the area is numb I'm getting these sharp electrical pains throughout my right side of my foot and heal.

When I walked I get this sponge type sensation and then electrical jolts.  I can actually  deal With the electrical jolts and weird sensation . What I have the most problem with is the area just below my anckle. It is hyper sensative. Even my covers of my bed drive me crazy. Anything that even touches that area put me in allot of pain.

I asked my doctor about it and he said he couldn't explain it.  Please help. I'm in need of help.
Hi, Thank you for your question. Sural nerve damage may affect motor functions and sensory interpretations. Common symptoms of damaged sural nerve could be pain, burning sensations, numbness, and weakness at the affected skin/muscles around the nerve. Treatment includes use of anti-virals and steroids. Another option could be surgery, and it involves suturing of nerve. Hope this helps.

I am in agony with sural nerve pain.  I was getting into my car and both feet still not in.  I shut car door on my right foot which pushed left foot to edge of car.  I am in agony with right foot pain.  Now the left is starting to hurt.

I am heading for an injection to numb the nerve.  If that fails, surgery on card.

Has anyone had surgery?  What is pain like after?  How long before back on feet.

Thanks a lot for you help.