Neurology Community
Surroundings becoming weird and fast/intense/loud

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viewing 601-619 comments:
Perfectly describes it. It is so much worse when it starts while you are asleep though...
I'm a scorpio too!
Happened to me the night after having an intense fever. Woke up in the morning, checked my phone, and started to fall back asleep. That's when it happened.
I'll try to say what can't be said, because, as someone already noted, it's really hard to describe the feeling, not to mention my memory of the whole ordeal feels fragmented. Anyway, here goes:

A sudden change in perception
The sheets on my bed take on a whole new texture around my fingers and body.
My heart beat starts souring, my blood pressure rises exponentially
I rise up from bed, the simple movement feels intricately complex and rushed
The sound as I throw my bedsheets to the side of the bed feels freakishly intense
A little sane part of me murmurs aloud “stop!!!”
I rush to the bathroom
it’s as if my movements are creating reactions in everything around me. angry, intense, amplified reactions of sound and fury
I start peeing in the toilet, the sound is almost unbearably foreign and hostile.
I rush back to my bed in a cold sweat
I lay down, focus on my breath, and close my eyes
I open them a minute later, and it's gone.

Sounds about right :) I`ve been having that my whole life, almost without fail every time I run a fever, never really lasts longer than 5 mins, but that is a loooong 5 minutes!
I have experienced almost exactly the same thing and it is nice to not feel so alone in this. I'm sorry I didn't read every comment because there is a lot and I'm very tired right now but I experienced this around mid-day today.
I also had this happen a few times when I was younger around 11 is the first time I remember to about 14 years old. And it would last for around 5-10 minutes. It then pretty much went away for years. I am 24 now and have had two experiences in the last week. I get this strange feeling I have very difficult trouble describing but it's like sound is slightly louder and harsher or I'm just much more aware of it if it is in my focus. My vision seems the same but there's this overwhelming perception that it's different, the tempo of everything definitely speeds up to almost double speed, most noticeably speech and there's this intense feeling of awkwardness consuming every second and sometimes if I encounter another person during this time it does seem as though they are being abrasive and I feel very uncomfortable in their presence even if I am very close/comfortable with that person/s usually. Again, when people speak around or to me it is FAST and becomes very weird and awkward. My speech however seems very slow or dragging and dull sounding. And my inner monologue will be quick paced shouting but not loudly, more deliberate, strong, consuming. Also strange and detailed... "I AM SITTING IN THIS CHAIR! I AM LOOKING AT THE TABLE AND THINKING!"
It's all so bizarre and unnerving but I also can keep a sense of calmness??
I was worried to tell anyone because I thought it was so crazy and people would think I was totally mental. So it's kind of awesome to find this thread! I wasn't expecting to ever find anything at all :)
This is AIWS, alice in wonderland symdrome
I am sooo tired today, and the weird sense attacks me again.. and I want to tell everyone this symptom already has a name called Alice in Wonderland Symdrome
HI..I am reading about this due to my 10 year old son..He suddenly wont eat in front of people and says it started when we were eating out a few months ago. He said the room got really small and loud and felt like everything was in slow motion. I do remember that day and he was eating like any other day then suddenly looked like he was going to be sick. He went to the bathroom then was quiet the rest of the night. I am only hearing this now after harping on him about not eating a table anymore and not going to functions or friends houses if it requires eating times. I am interested in your post only because you said you saw auras around people as a child..my son has always had "expierences" with spirits since he was 2 years old.  I think he may of not of said anything right away because he thought it was normal..and had something to do with that. He also says he can't swallow when he is around people and eating..just wondered if you have any thoughts on this..thanks!
This is unbelievable. I've had this happen to meat be once a year since I was about 5 and I'm now 20. I vividly remember the first time it happened to me I was sick from a fever. My mother was tucking me in and I felt as if she was racing all over the room. She was speaking very gentle but my brain was like telling me that she was screaming. And I knew she wasn't but I just freaked out and cried. Very frightening as a child. It happened to me this morning and I tried to calm myself by thinking calming thoughts but it was liked brain saying "ITS OK JUST IGNORE IT DO YOUR HAIR YOURE JUST FINE JUST FINE!!!". When I was little all I could do was sit and close my eyes and try and make it go away but now I try and challenge the feeling. Today I found that I had an uneasy feeling when looking in a mirror but I saw my reflection in a window while it was dark out and it made my heart pound and I couldn't stare long. I never told anyone about it until today when I called my mother to tell her about it and all the other people it happens to. Turns out she has it happen also. She said that no doc will understand and can prescribe an anxiety medicine that will likely help. She also said she didn't experiemce it until after I was born. I believe it to be somehow a chemical situation that controls brain activity. Maybe in the most open minded cases a connection with something spiritual but I would not put my money on that.
Try listening to music (slow, melodies). Sometimes works for me.
I've been experiencing the same thing as everyone for a while. It's really annoying, and I can't control it. It happens at random times, usually when I'm being quiet. Usually sitting peacefully or reading. It sounds loud and fast, and like everything, even the tiniest thing, sounds amplified and huge. It's very intense. I try to move slowly, as to not provoke the sounds, but it doesn't help. As I'm comforted by knowing that I'm not the only one, I'm still very confused and want to figure out whats happening to us all.
Thanks!
Absolutely! Scary and fascinating !  I have this happen to me  just as I'm falling asleep  I sense  light and  everything gets louder  and like a rushing and pulling feeling  like I want to let it ride out but I get scared and yell myself  out of it  ! Omg  !  I wonder what would happen if I ride it out ?  It's happening every other  day  ....... once or twice a week!
I have been having these same episodes. At first, I thought I was hearing peoples thoughts. I had always had a "hard time hearing" but it was more like I couldn't concentrate long enough for my brain to comprehend. And hearing whispers oh other voices echoing in my mind was scary to say the least. As time went by these "episodes" progressed, whether do to stress on my body or mind, I don't know but I do feel like they play a part. One day, the movie Wanted came out and I had to link the effects. Haven't you noticed the things that happen and the movie are almost exactly the same? Eveything seems to "speed" up or we speed up that is seeing as normal time flow stays the same. My heart rate increase, sounds become to much more intense. After watching the movie I began meditating and learning to control my mind and heart rate. And when these "episodes" come on, I can either quickly subdue them now or "goad" them on. When I do "goad" them on, I feel stronger, faster and more aware. It is an intense and scary feeling because you feel like it's either going to come to the point where you explode or just shut off from sheer exertion. I wonder if our conditions we're the basis for this movie and if maybe it holds some secret that we should be looking into. There isn't a diagnosis, yet this has been happening to people for a LONG time. Maybe there is a reason there isn't one. I for one, am continuing in my exercises. In any rate, whatever you believe, if you want to gain control over your attacks you need to learn how to control your heart rate. Just being able to calm your body and mind down decreases the amount of time spent in these "episodes" and makes them less frequent I find.
I have been struggling with this for years. My symptoms are only intense sounds and the speed at which things are perceived (extreme speed). Over the years my mother has ignored it and chalked it up to my own desire to be diffrent. I then hoped i would grow out of it and never have to deal with it again.
I am now 19 and this is what bothers me, they are becoming far more frequent , i just had my third episode this week and it ended with me on the floor. Te previous was in the middle of a calculus class and left me disabled to work, needless to say i failed the test. What stood out to me was the sheer disconnect from knowledge that i knew in that moment, almost unobtainable because of fear.
I have tried over the years to determine what triggers them, for me i have no idea. They happen to me whenever.
I'm a 42 year old woman and it's been about 20 years since I last experienced this, but I used to have these episodes when I was a child and in my teens and early 20's.  The last episode I remember did not happen in a quiet room at all, but rather while I was walking to work.  The whole world around me got quiet but loud, slowed down but sped up.  I think it was the one and only time I had the experience when I wasn't alone in a room.  I was very paranoid that people I passed on the street could tell.

Mostly they happened when I was alone in my room (I was always a person who liked to dream and I often entertained myself with my own imagination in my room).  The descriptions people have made about the sense of touch being amplified are bang on.  As well as the LOUD thoughts in the mind - narrating every move and thought.  Some episodes lasted longer than others.  Some I could snap out of within a minute but I don't really remember how I did so.

Bit of insight - I was/is a very emotionally sensitive person.  As a child I cried easily and was always worried about people being mad at me or disliking me.  I was sexually abused by 2 teenagers in my neighborhood when I was 5-6.  I blocked those experiences until I was about 12 but then I suddenly remembered everything all at once.  I had the sensory episodes before and after my memories came back, so I'm not sure if it's related.

Oh, and I'm a Scorpio too.  Not sure if that's related either.
I am having it while writing this, it is weird actually. When I started reading the posts everything was okay. Does anyone know what is this symptom called? my idiot doctor doesnt know anything about it, and i have to mention i take Tegratol and Topamax pills daily. (anti-epilepsy drugs). I would really appreciate if someone told me what is the symptom we are talking about here.
I can't believe I found so many other people who have experienced this.  I've only had it twice.  Once as a child with a fever and once as an adult while pregnant and sick.  Both times were terrifying.  As a child I heard lots of peoples voices and it sounded like they were arguing.  It would get really loud and then fade and then get loud again.  I couldn't tell what was being said.  Everything was intensified.  The second time I felt like I couldn't move at all.  I heard a very menacing voice laughing.  I promise, I'm not mental :D  I don't hear voices.  It just happened both times that the intensified sound and awareness happened.  I haven't had it again.  Thank God.
I have the same "problem" and, as 123que told, it happened for the first time when I was a child and I was sick (with fever). I had this feeling a few days ago and this time I decided to search on Google. Like a lot of people here, I just can't believe I found so many people with the same experience. I'm from Brazil and I would like to talk to someone who experience this too. If personally is not possible, please send me an e-mail (marcelo.***@****). I will follow this discussion forever until someone discoverer anything about this freaky sensation. The only thing I know is that if you keep focusing on the feeling when it´s happening, it gets worse. I never focus for too long because I'm afraid of going insane.
Hi Turco, the thing is, I asked my doctor about it, he said its a side effect of the drugs i take. Which are anti-epilepsy drugs. But I know now, that he was wrong, as many people who did not suffer from epilepsy or did not take any anti-epilepsy drugs also suffer from this problem. So I will make a research on it, until I find out whats the solution of this problem, as I see the doctors have no idea. You can contact me whenever you want, if you feel like talking to someone about it. I'll send you my email address.
I can't believe I've found this forum! I've been suffereing from this for as long as I can remember ( I'm 18 now). I genuinely thought I was the only person in the world that felt these weird sensations, so it's almost a relief knowing people have this too and im not alone.
I've just had an episode now, which is why I decided to search it by searching  in my symptoms. It's so so so strange, it's as if time is going so slowly yet really fast, small movements feel like I'm doing them really quickly and everything seems loud and bright. I can hear all my thoughts so loud in my head and it's sometimes quite scary. The only was I can get out of it is by concentrating hard on something or talking to myself. I thought I was going crazy!
Does anyone know if there is treatment for this?
Thanks for answering, Naltodd!
I never had anything related to epilepsy. It must be something related with sickness when we were children. It´s funny because when I have this sensations I always remember the first time it happened to me. Like a deja vu. I'll keep my researches too. Let's keep in touch.
What really ***** is as we read this it kind of brings it on. Are we all connected? I use to describe it to my parents when it was happening as a kid and after awhile it made my mother cry because she couldnt help me. After that i just would get thru it. You can make it stop sometimes by changing the noise level in the room..just do something different and hopefully it works.As a child sometimes it would last a half hr or just keep coming back..as we all know that feeling when you seem to be in tune with sound changing things in slow mo but its really not. It got bad as a kid were even if there was constant noise in the room it would still come on. This is the first time I have talked about this and its been happening for 30 years.Has anyone got fed up as a child and tried to play with it making different things happen? Everyone is talking about a fever..I had pnemunia ( no idea how to spell that) in 3rd grade. I need to know if we all have thibgs in common. I dont think there could be that many of us..Ive only met one perosn that maybe described it but i didnt say anything as i have been always afraid that it was something serious. I want to know if everyone is really on point in every day life, I do really good at work and am always on point. Grasping at straws but its a start as its times to really talk about this. It seems like years go by somwtimes without it hapoening no?
And its not Alice and wonderland syndrome...a lot try to tell us its that but i have never had objects seem smaller or larger. I believe we are being grouped in because there is no explanation or diagnosis. And i do not get headaches or migraines at anytime before or after the epsiodes come on. Its not like as when i was a child but they still happen
"I dreamt I was in bed, staring up at my ceiling but I couldn't move. Disembodied voices were yelling and whisper-shouting at me, but the words I could make out were really mundane."
This is a phenomenon called sleep paralysis. It happens when you are in deep sleep (REM sleep) and at this point in a sleep cycle the part of the brain that controls movement switches off because this is the time of night you have most dreams and your brain doesn't want to act out dreams. If you wake up at this point in your sleep cycle then you can't move and you tend to hallucinate.
So I've also experienced this phenomenon since I was very little. As Ive gotten older the episodes have grown less intense and quite far between.

When younger they would absolutely terrify me, however I now look forward to  these events as the distorted perception on reality is quite...well, entertaining I guess you could say. For me the intensity and loudness is quite a thrilling experience.

So I have a couple thoughts on what may be going on here. First one is that the brain is playing some kind of dream-trick on the effected person. I see the intensity as being caused by a dreamlike state. I say this because of how in dreams, the perceived duration of the dream a person is having can be longer or shorter then the time actually spent dreaming.
So (to me) the experience is as if your brain is recording the information in "high speed" and playing it back at x1.

A way, way, easier method for explaining this to people is to view a video on youtube in 30 fps, then compare that video in 60 fps.

Its my belief that this phenomenon is essentially giving us a short burst of higher "frame rate" perception of realty.

Sorry for the wall. just wanted to share my view on the matter. :)
I have experienced this feeling. It mostly happens when I am sick or sleep deprived.
It feels like waves of energy are going through the room, my breathing sounds intense, my pulse feels really loud, the tiniest movement in the sheets feels like an earthquake. Essentially, over exaggerated senses.
While this is happening, I make a conscious effort to control my surroundings but I feel paralyzed. It truly is a bizarre feeling. It only happens when I am extremely sick or overly sleep deprived.

Are these symptoms of a mad man or is this normal?

I'm literally about to cry you have no idea how happy i am to find so many people who experience this exact thing. I've been getting these episodes randomly since i was a kid, and because i happened to get really bad one while i was on the computer i decided to google it and omg i'm literally so happy right now. the only way i can describe it is that everything is really loud and sounds angry and intense. my thoughts speed up and it feels like my mind is running at a million miles an hour, and i can't focus on anything. i don't think i've ever tried to explain this to anyone, but these little episodes have terrified me for as long as i can remember. usually it only happens when i'm alone, and if it does happen around people it only lasts for a few minutes, probably because i'm more easily distracted. if anyone's reading this, i would recommend trying to distract yourself, as that's usually the quickest way i can get rid of it - if not, it just ends up going away by itself.
I only have the time speed up time! I used to be scared but when i got used to it it thrilled me! The bad part is that it was mainly in tests and situations when i needed to be concentrated. It started too when i was about 5 I think. And I also had some strange dreams about a giant voice and a bit of despair for not getting things done. If some one relates send me an email or has a name for it or a way to cause it send me an emai please! jvrbferrer(tipicalthing)gmail(dot)com
SOLUTION. Hello everyone, i think i may have the answer to thing thing most of us had or has being gorging through. I used to experience all this when i was a child and now at the age of 19 i had two episodes. Last week i went to the doctor because i had some dizziness due to that some thing inside my ear moved out of place. The thing is that, he asked me I suffer from migraine or if someone in my family did. After that, we begin to talk and I oped him about this issue that we are all talking about and trying to figure out what it is. He told me that people who have migraine are more sensitive to all kind of senses. He explained me in a simple way that our channels in our brain from where the senses "enter" are more wide than those people who do not suffer from migraine. Told that, he began to tell me that this episodes can occur when we are young do to migraine and that are very common among "us". He also told me about the alice in wonderland syndrome which is mostly present in kid who are presenting migraine, but that refers mostly to percept more sensitive the size of things. So, all in all we have nothing to worry about, we cannot find a solution to this, rather than take pills from 1 year every day in order to do a treatment to stop having migraine. It seems to be a normal thing, and it happens because of the greater sensitiveness we have when we precept senses, which includes time, perception, sight, smell etc. He also told me that some common thing in people who have migraine is to be more sensitive to smells (which can lead to dizziness), to not be able to read in a car when it is in movement, and to be afraid of height or seeing white lights around the thing we are aiming our sight to. Hope this helps! personally I'm very glad my doctor was able to inform me all this and i wanted to share with you all. Sorry for my bad english, I am from argentina and we speak spanish here :)
I'm so happy I found this forum, I've been experiecing these episodes now since I was 12 and I've never been able to put it into words until my second year biological psychology class. Its a symptom of Alice in wonderland syndrome and is often accompanied by migraines. I was diagnosed with chronic migraines several years ago, although my neurologist is now looking at the possibility that my migraines are causing this or this is causing my migraines. At first we thought it may have been a symptom of schizophrenia which frankly terrified me, but its very comforting to know what it is and that I'm not the only one. The good news is that AIWS is often treated with anti depressants, which is what I'm on for my migraines, so the episodes stop when my dose is right, although when my tolerance builds up and i start getting migraines again, i start getting episodes again.
Wow, this is amazing, that so many have experienced this! I went through this as a child. I am 42 now, and I am here because my 10 year old son is starting to experience similar things. I was hoping to find more info about what is going on. As a child, I would get weird out-of-body sensations, feel floaty, and completely lose all sense of depth perception; something that was actually across the room would suddenly appear right in front of my nose, or the ground would be seemingly eye-level. I would also at times be in a disconnected dream-like state, almost like a form of lucid dreaming (which I have as an adult), but according to my mom, I was awake and responsive, only feeling like I was in a dream. It would pass in a few minutes. This stuff went on for a year or two prior to puberty. My childhood pediatrician told my mother that it was hormones and that it would likely resolve itself when I started puberty. He was right, it did. I have for years just assumed, based on that astute pediatrician 30+ years ago, that my issues were just pre-pubescent hormones wreaking havoc on my brain. I have not experienced anything like that again (outside of one random marijuana experience about 10 years ago...and I knew THAT was drug-induced!) My son just this morning told me that he is experiencing the fast movement of time thing, as if everything around him is going on fast-forward. I personally have never come across anyone else that has experienced this kind of stuff that wasn't schizophrenic, but it isn't exactly something that gets brought up in normal conversation because of the fear of mental illness. Gotta love the internet, where people are far more open! It is good to see this is more common than I ever realized...I thought I was weird and had passed on my weird brain chemistry to my son!

It seems from these comments that the majority of people began experiencing these things in the prepubescent years. That suggests that hormones may truly play a part, at least for some people. I hope that for those of you with children wondering what the heck this is can take some comfort in that possibility, and that it passes for most people. I lived it...it was scary at the time! But it passed for me, and I hope for my son too. Those that are still experiencing this into adulthood, maybe get your hormones checked? Hormones can do some crazy things to the body and brain, and entering peri-menopause now, I can attest to that in whole new ways!
ShellyP166 - This is a form of anxiety attack that your son is having. Since it happened when he was eating in a restaurant, he is now associating that with eating. My husband and daughter used to have a horrible time with this, particularly in a restaurant. They have both found ways to manage it, and rarely ever experience it anymore, and never to the extent they used to. My daughter used to go outside and throw up! The best way to handle this is to tackle restaurants first. Go when it is not crowded, and make sure he sits on a side of the room, not in the center of the restaurant, and away from any loud parties, and close to an exit or a restroom. Get your table, then show your son the exit and the restroom, as this can immediately put him at ease that there is an "escape" route he can take if he needs it. Feeling trapped in an environment like that will increase his anxiety. If he starts to feel sick, walk him outside where it is quiet and he can get a breath of fresh air. He needs to see that the anxiety passes, and he is will be ok after. Let him go to the restroom as needed, it is quieter and there are less people, so he can relax for a minute. Encourage him, and remind him that it is anxiety that is causing these symptoms, to breathe and think of something else. Bring stuff with you to distract him, or play a little game like "I Spy" to keep him focused on something. It is important to talk to him about what is happening, and that it is the anxiety of getting sick that is actually making him sick...it is a vicious cycle that needs to be broken, ASAP. An anxiety attack can occur at random times for numerous reasons including just a chemical imbalance, and some people will continue to associate those horrible feelings with whatever situation was happening when they experienced them, and so they will try to avoid that "trigger". The fear of that trigger will cause more anxiety. It is a terrible thing to experience, so be patient with him and help him realize that he is not powerless and can get through it and eventually overcome it. Once he realizes that he can get through a situation and be fine, the anxiety will start to ease; the more success he has with it, the more empowered he will feel over it, and it will go away.
I am a 45 yr old male and had this happen often when I was young around the age of probably 7-14 yrs of age. For me everything got extremely loud, and it seemed like if a feather dropped, I would be able hear it when it landed.  Over the years it just subsided.  The only thing I can say at this point in reflection is, for me I believe it was attached to my epilepsy which was identified at about 30 yrs of age.  I have had simple and complex Seizures and it seemed oddly related for me to the "noise moments" of my youth.  While my Complex Seizures are controlled with the medicine Tegratol, the simple seizures are not as much but I function as a professional in society.  When I was young, telling someone that everything kept getting really loud or I became hypersensitive might of landed me in the psychologists chair.  Fortunately today this isn't the case for most young people today.  While I am not on this sight to make people frightened that their child has Epilepsy, I am simply saying be aware of it as a potential option that can be controlled with drugs and provide them an excellent life the quicker it is identified.
Read on exploding head syndrome for the loud noises upon waking...not serious from what I have read, but interesting...
I have had an experience just this morning where I was sitting at the computer and the sound of the keys and the mouse clicking were magnified.  The sound was so loud it was shots every click and keystroke.  The noises were accompanied by feelings of anger, fear, and anxiety.  Movements felt like they were quick and hurried even if they were slow and intentional.  The a/c kicked on and it was almost unbearable.  After a few minutes it passed.  My episodes always involve hyper sensitivity to sound, movement, and emotions.
Okay i had this last night and I'm not going to make this long but what seems to calm me down when i get this is normally when i walk around the house i check everyones rooms to see who is home and when i slow down my speed of my body i go back into my bed and try to remember what i just did and i feel way safer after that!!
I just had an episode which reminded me to google this. For me its like I notice that the world is different and I'm aware that everything is off in a speedy/intense/rushed/uncomfortable/erie sort of way. Sound is the most notable difference because everything is sped up and has a loud, harsh, scary, erie tone to it! I remember running to my parents room at night (multiple times) when I was 6-10 years old to tell them that everything sounded evil (every little sound was completely overwhelming). I still get them every few months or so now. Like other commenters i'm usually alone and it's been somewhat or very quiet for a long time. If I do get up and walk, it can be a total trip, like the floor is far away; I'm hyper aware of everything that I'm doing like it's all in slow-motion, or more like I'm speed-thinking way ahead of everything I'm doing and then watching it in slow-motion. I'm 35 now and because I've had them so many times I know that they will end and they don't freak me out anymore but they are scary and annoying. I just remind myself what's going on that that everything is fine and it will be over soon. I usually turn off whatever blaring sounds that are bothering me the most, so I turn off the fan or the clicking that's happening and try to think through it till it ends a few minutes later.

My 4 Theories: (based on this forum and a little googling - I'm NOT a professional)
1. Alice in Wonderland Syndrome: Alice in Wonderland's syndrome does say that it happens to people without tumors in their heads so that's good we shouldn't all be worried about that. As explained above by Minxx454 here on page 4.

2. ADHD symptom what doctors call "Internal Static" from a commenter on page 2.

3. Migrane (migraine) with Visual Aura as researched by me.
"Migraine with visual aura
Migraine with aura and its variants are very common and it is well established that migraine and epilepsy often co-exist as co-morbid disorders. The visual aura of migraine preceding a headache can take a variety of forms but is typically in one visual field and contains positive phenomena such as flashes, arcs of lights (fortification spectra), specks, or flames and negative phenomena such as scotoma with blanking out or greying of the visual field. Visual phenomena of occipital seizures are more likely to be coloured and can include a variety of different shapes including diamonds, squares, circles and lines. More complex sensory illusions or perceptions that may or may not precede a headache include the feeling that a body part or parts, such as the hands, have grown dramatically or shrunk or that everything in the environment is louder. These may be misdiagnosed as a seizure, but are more likely to be a feature of the Alice in Wonderland syndrome, considered a migraine variant."

4. Benign Occipital Epilepsy (Gastaut type) as posted by Shopmar  
on page 2)
"Benign occipital epilepsy, also known as benign focal epilepsy with occipital paroxysms, is a hereditary type of epilepsy that represents about 3 percent of all childhood epilepsy cases. There is a somewhat higher incidence in girls than in boys. This type of epilepsy can be grouped into two categories, depending on the age of the child when seizures begin. [Panayiotopoulos type & Gastaut type]

Gastaut type begins between the ages of 3 and 16 years and has a peak onset between ages 7 and 9. Children may experience visual hallucinations with the seizure. Headaches are common before, during, or after the seizures. "

Panic attacks can do many things to the body physically and mentally your body temperature can change you can hallucinate visually and in what you are hearing. I myself had two major things that I believe caused or started mine along with cocaine abuse later on in life which added to the intensity of the attacks after I was clean for years. I actually feel as if I do not belong where I am at yet I know I do. Almost as I am losing my mind at times, it is just pure panic (fear) coming out in various ways. Even though I know what it is still difficult to deal with medication and counseling along with prayer and relaxation methods such as exercise help.Stress not a good thing tend to trigger them and certain medications can also cause them. So I guess my advice is like anyone with an illness educate yourself get all the help you can so you don't have to suffer and face it and defeat it and live your life!
Yes that's exactly how it feels for me. Especially the loud thinking in my head.
THEORY:  how many of you had Mono as a child?  

I also suffered from these mental episodes as a child.  I have been researching it lately and may have found a commonality among us.  I had Mono as a young child.  Did any of you?
Helloo I experienced this as well.. I wonder if you drink too much coffe and coke any drinks high in caffeigne..
Michael,

I believed I was the only one who experienced the, but should have realized it must be somewhat common. Everything used to just feel intensified. Sound, sight, touch... I would find myself very interested in these sensations, since they didn't hurt. I used to call them, to myself, my "spells". I didn't tell an adult 'cause I sort of thought, in my child's mind, that I might be a little crazy.
So interesting after a lifetime, and often remembering my "spells" along the way, to finally realize others share the experience. I was scared to tell anyone, and they went away. But now I wonder if it wasn't a precursor of migraines, which I've suffered with all my life. Hmmmm.
this is so wild... i too have experienced this sporadically throughout my life without any explanation. interesting that most of you have shared some type of illness where as I did not. the first time it happened i was laying in bed and my stucco ceiling seemed to .. morph.. if you will, from calm and relaxed to extremely stabby and abrasive, after a while I began to feel like i could almost control its mood, though in the beginning it was just visual, no auditory reactions. Now as an adult (25) after years of not experiencing this it is back with a vengeance. the person who explained the shaving incident was spot on. today i had quite a bad episode where i went running from my house to escape the violent atmosphere of the room only to realize i brought my brain with me and the sound of the crickets and the lawn mowers and birds chirping all seemed so intensely amplified and abrasive that i found myself in tears. this one lasted longer than any one previous and this is the first time in my life that i have had a horrible headache afterwards with long lasting auditory sensitivities.. wild that so many of us have gone through this and not one person has ever been given an explanation. i am a Pisces, no major health concerns, no migraines, no anything. I've read a lot about alice in wonderland syndrome and it does have some similarities though i've never had any issues with the enlargement of body parts... i always know I'm here and am aware it is happening.. there just doesn't seem to be any way to stop it once it starts building up..
very strange, best of luck everybody!
Viewing 601-619 comments: