Neurology Community
Surroundings becoming weird and fast/intense/loud

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viewing 601-606 comments:
Is this an ADHD thing?
This happened to me when I was in the 3rd grade and only at night time. All my surroundings were in fast forward, everything was loud. Looking at the tv was the worst. If I layed in my bed with my eyes closed I felt like I was spinning. I was taken to a doctor and had a eeg done. My mother states they told her it was some seizure disorder. I remember taking medications for about a week and it never happened again. I recently had a mini episode happen that lasted about a sec but had me remembering all those scary symptoms. I wish I new what it was but glad I'm not the only one out there with this.
My son is 7 and has most/all of these symptoms (or so he can explain). He says it has been happening since he was 3 - but only now can explain it. Had an especially intense "episode"  last week after a fever (like many posting here). Says though he is speaking at normal volume, says it sounds REALLY loud. Has said my head looks small while it's happening. Has heard an angry girl voice yelling at him (says it sounds like his teacher!). He is an active kid - but no typical ADHD behaviors. He has been having frequent "episodes" this past week since the fever - though he is better now.

This has been happening as he tries to fall asleep mostly, but has had it occur even midday. Seems to think they last longer than they really do. Has been playing more Xbox since this was a xmas gift. Also goes to sleep in a room with music going.

Calming down and deep breathing seems to help - but he really wants to know how to stop it. I will try and have him talk outloud - saying the alphabet, or sitting up, or listening to music on headphones.

He has an appointment w/ his pediatrician later this week - I thought it might be an ear thing - but now am not so sure. We do have migraine in the family - like most it sounds similar to the AIWS...is this some weird combination thing?

Is there really no professional comments on this thread? I am so worried for him, though it sounds like this is mostly manageable.

Hmm I am wondering if the thing all of us had in common as children was stress.  I know I was a particularly emotional child and internalized a lot of parental anguish.  That being said I cannot recall particular moments triggering these experiences, only that they did from time to time when coming out of a bizarre dream sequence.  I like to describe it as being in between dream sleep state and awake.

Can't help but keep hearing these lyrics in my head after reading all your comments....keep diggiing guys, we will figure it out!

"There is no pain, you are receding
A distant ship smoke on the horizon
You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
When I was a child I had a fever
My hands felt just like two balloons
Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain, you would not understand
This is not how I am
I have become comfortably numb"
I have been having these episodes for years. I am turning 50 soon and had another one today.  Mine include everything going fast, my breathing in feels like I am breathing cold air, my breathing seems hard but I realize it is not and my chest is sore.  Not heart attack sore, just sore inside.  Eventually my stomach gets sore also.  After it ends I get a headache that is tolerable but it's my entire head.  Unfortunately when they do happen, they can last for hours.
I have been plagued with these symptoms as long as i can remember. Ive read a bunch of your comments and have experience with severe anxiety and panic attacks as well as disassociation. I think a lot of this comes from early childhood trauma. My sister killed herself when i was6 and I just remember having bathroom breaks in the middle of the night and experiencing this strange sensation. It really is scary. I did have a run in with magic mushrooms in college which led to a very long and depressing case of depersonalization. I was on lexapro for a while, which seemed to put my panic attacks and general anxiety at ease, as well as these symptoms. i recently went off the drug (it mad eke sick/dizzy) and am experiencing these sensations more frequently. Even talking about this makes me worry that ill have a sensation soon. Im really happy to have found this group of people, hopefully we aren't all going crazy.
I was very surprised at the response on this blog and others since I started researching this, I have for many years tried to explain my symptoms to my parents and a number of doctors, I think the end result was that I was attention seeking  I felt that I am having a type of seizure but had the frustration that no one understood what I was going through.
I am 39 Years old now and I still get that feeling very seldom now though, it occurs (seemingly) when I have a high temperature these days but when I was younger it seemed to have been spontaneous and very often. After some research the closest medical term I could find was “Derealization” Some web pages describe the symptoms of it more accurately than others but they all seem to hit the core of the symptoms to some extent.

I remember the very first time (That I can recall) was when I was walking home from a friend’s house, My environment suddenly changed and I was floating through the air, I felt as light as a feather, I knew something was wrong,  everything around me seemed amplified, noises, movements etc, I panicked and ran home as fast as I could, It literally felt like I was running at 100 MPH but in slow motion, the feeling was bizarre, I remember my emotions being amplified but yet I felt less. When I got I tried to explain to my mother but was given a Panado and told to lie down, When lying on the bed I felt as thin as a reed and as light as a feather, the bed felt somewhat hard and big, my head movements felt Fast and with conviction, The sounds of people talking around me was also amplified and seemed fast and aggressive, their movements was fast and amplified, footsteps were unbearable. I was scared out of my mind, Even moving to a quieter room and not making any movements would not work, my thoughts would feel loud and hard and fast, my body felt different and I felt removed from reality, I was at a different place all together.

This carried on with very frequent occurrences all during my youth and the frequency declined in my twenties. I have not had it for years until a few days ago (Reason for me researching now). From what I have read everywhere it does not seem like this is a dangerous phenomenon but rather something that could be triggered by many other underlying conditions, neurological conditions of epilepsy, Migraine, head injury, and probably the most announced is anxiety or panic. I am yet to discover what mine is but I do distinctly remember that I would get it every time I get a flu or high temperature if that has any relevance, I don’t know.
To the parents that do have kids going through this I recommend staying with them during the attack, (they don’t last long 5-20 minutes) and comfort them with a soft soothing calm voice, and make slow non repetitive movements. It really is a very scary experience for a child. Also try to occupy his/her mind with something physical, warm/cold objects that would feel real to them to take their attention of and bring them back into the “real world”  
I had no idea this existed in other people, in fact I am only here because I was researching something for my son, 9 years old, who said sometimes things get really far away and he gets head aches and it scares him.  Now, as I read this forum, I am remembering this phenomenon as if it happened to me yesterday because it used to happen to me as a child.  I was never scared of it, I was actually always intrigued by it and thought it was interesting.  While reading people describe this I'm actually experiencing some of the symptoms as I remember how I used to feel when this happened to me.  I am very interested in why this happened to me and if my son is experiencing the same episodes that I did when I was his age.  Mine would often occur just before bed time while trying to fall asleep.  Things would distort and I would feel floaty and everything would seem to get bigger and wider but I felt very light.  As well I do believe voices and such would replay and get louder in my head.  Again, I was never scared of it though, I was always more intrigued by it.
You are right, there were times that I could actually have some fun with it, but for the most times it really frightened me, I had really intense sessions at times and like I mentioned before they were more intense when I had a fever.

Seems like most people do outgrow it and from what I could find there is no cure, diagnoses or remedy for it, After further reading into "derealization" I am certain it is not what we experience but something completely different. Again it proves how these “symptoms” are wrongly diagnosed by medical professionals and that there is almost no known data on this “attacks”

The good thing is that it everybody seems to outgrow it and that it is not harmful in anyway, but can be a little scary for most kids. Still, I would love to know what it is and what causes it and why I still sometimes get it even at my age.

Anyway I will keep reading and checking and keep updating on here if I get more info…  
I get this too and I'v never found anyone else that does!
Ever since I was about 7/8 I've been getting these noises in my head too... Like just a really loud noise, not voices as such but just sounds and they're really loud.
I normally get them when I've just woken up or if I'm in a quiet room but talking to someone or listening to music helps finish the episode and because I used to share a room with my sister they didn't tend to last long. But now I'm at uni on my own they've come back and are more frequent. Even though at nearly 20 I'm used to it but it's still a terrifying experience!
Decided to google this after having experienced it for all 16 years of my life, 2-4 times a year is how often they occur. THANKS guys, I literally thought I was the only one to have these nightmarish like kinda concious episodes. The worst are when your asleep, then you wake up as the episode starts and although you are concious, it feels like I am nearing death. Everything speeds up, everything is loud and distorted, my hands feel like they are heavy weights(mostly when I just wake up), and all of reality is a distorted mirage. For me personally, (its insanely hard to explain, my doctor looks at me funny and has no clue),but basically it feels like there are a ton of ball like things around the house and when they run out bad things will happen(me dying). Haha I feel insane explaining but thats the best I can explain. When I am fully concious and they occur while I am fully awake it isnt as horrible, but still makes me panic as all my senses are magnified and every action or sound anyone makes is insanely loud and feels like its rattling in my head. Good thing I am not the only one, thanks guys
Same, very strange sensation and I as well have tried to have fun with it(when it occurs while I am fully awake). But when it starts while I am asleep and am half conscious ,it freaks me out and gives me the sensation I am dying...
Perfectly describes it. It is so much worse when it starts while you are asleep though...
I'm a scorpio too!
Happened to me the night after having an intense fever. Woke up in the morning, checked my phone, and started to fall back asleep. That's when it happened.
I'll try to say what can't be said, because, as someone already noted, it's really hard to describe the feeling, not to mention my memory of the whole ordeal feels fragmented. Anyway, here goes:

A sudden change in perception
The sheets on my bed take on a whole new texture around my fingers and body.
My heart beat starts souring, my blood pressure rises exponentially
I rise up from bed, the simple movement feels intricately complex and rushed
The sound as I throw my bedsheets to the side of the bed feels freakishly intense
A little sane part of me murmurs aloud “stop!!!”
I rush to the bathroom
it’s as if my movements are creating reactions in everything around me. angry, intense, amplified reactions of sound and fury
I start peeing in the toilet, the sound is almost unbearably foreign and hostile.
I rush back to my bed in a cold sweat
I lay down, focus on my breath, and close my eyes
I open them a minute later, and it's gone.

Sounds about right :) I`ve been having that my whole life, almost without fail every time I run a fever, never really lasts longer than 5 mins, but that is a loooong 5 minutes!
I have experienced almost exactly the same thing and it is nice to not feel so alone in this. I'm sorry I didn't read every comment because there is a lot and I'm very tired right now but I experienced this around mid-day today.
I also had this happen a few times when I was younger around 11 is the first time I remember to about 14 years old. And it would last for around 5-10 minutes. It then pretty much went away for years. I am 24 now and have had two experiences in the last week. I get this strange feeling I have very difficult trouble describing but it's like sound is slightly louder and harsher or I'm just much more aware of it if it is in my focus. My vision seems the same but there's this overwhelming perception that it's different, the tempo of everything definitely speeds up to almost double speed, most noticeably speech and there's this intense feeling of awkwardness consuming every second and sometimes if I encounter another person during this time it does seem as though they are being abrasive and I feel very uncomfortable in their presence even if I am very close/comfortable with that person/s usually. Again, when people speak around or to me it is FAST and becomes very weird and awkward. My speech however seems very slow or dragging and dull sounding. And my inner monologue will be quick paced shouting but not loudly, more deliberate, strong, consuming. Also strange and detailed... "I AM SITTING IN THIS CHAIR! I AM LOOKING AT THE TABLE AND THINKING!"
It's all so bizarre and unnerving but I also can keep a sense of calmness??
I was worried to tell anyone because I thought it was so crazy and people would think I was totally mental. So it's kind of awesome to find this thread! I wasn't expecting to ever find anything at all :)
This is AIWS, alice in wonderland symdrome
I am sooo tired today, and the weird sense attacks me again.. and I want to tell everyone this symptom already has a name called Alice in Wonderland Symdrome
HI..I am reading about this due to my 10 year old son..He suddenly wont eat in front of people and says it started when we were eating out a few months ago. He said the room got really small and loud and felt like everything was in slow motion. I do remember that day and he was eating like any other day then suddenly looked like he was going to be sick. He went to the bathroom then was quiet the rest of the night. I am only hearing this now after harping on him about not eating a table anymore and not going to functions or friends houses if it requires eating times. I am interested in your post only because you said you saw auras around people as a child..my son has always had "expierences" with spirits since he was 2 years old.  I think he may of not of said anything right away because he thought it was normal..and had something to do with that. He also says he can't swallow when he is around people and eating..just wondered if you have any thoughts on this..thanks!
This is unbelievable. I've had this happen to meat be once a year since I was about 5 and I'm now 20. I vividly remember the first time it happened to me I was sick from a fever. My mother was tucking me in and I felt as if she was racing all over the room. She was speaking very gentle but my brain was like telling me that she was screaming. And I knew she wasn't but I just freaked out and cried. Very frightening as a child. It happened to me this morning and I tried to calm myself by thinking calming thoughts but it was liked brain saying "ITS OK JUST IGNORE IT DO YOUR HAIR YOURE JUST FINE JUST FINE!!!". When I was little all I could do was sit and close my eyes and try and make it go away but now I try and challenge the feeling. Today I found that I had an uneasy feeling when looking in a mirror but I saw my reflection in a window while it was dark out and it made my heart pound and I couldn't stare long. I never told anyone about it until today when I called my mother to tell her about it and all the other people it happens to. Turns out she has it happen also. She said that no doc will understand and can prescribe an anxiety medicine that will likely help. She also said she didn't experiemce it until after I was born. I believe it to be somehow a chemical situation that controls brain activity. Maybe in the most open minded cases a connection with something spiritual but I would not put my money on that.
Try listening to music (slow, melodies). Sometimes works for me.
I've been experiencing the same thing as everyone for a while. It's really annoying, and I can't control it. It happens at random times, usually when I'm being quiet. Usually sitting peacefully or reading. It sounds loud and fast, and like everything, even the tiniest thing, sounds amplified and huge. It's very intense. I try to move slowly, as to not provoke the sounds, but it doesn't help. As I'm comforted by knowing that I'm not the only one, I'm still very confused and want to figure out whats happening to us all.
Thanks!
Absolutely! Scary and fascinating !  I have this happen to me  just as I'm falling asleep  I sense  light and  everything gets louder  and like a rushing and pulling feeling  like I want to let it ride out but I get scared and yell myself  out of it  ! Omg  !  I wonder what would happen if I ride it out ?  It's happening every other  day  ....... once or twice a week!
I have been having these same episodes. At first, I thought I was hearing peoples thoughts. I had always had a "hard time hearing" but it was more like I couldn't concentrate long enough for my brain to comprehend. And hearing whispers oh other voices echoing in my mind was scary to say the least. As time went by these "episodes" progressed, whether do to stress on my body or mind, I don't know but I do feel like they play a part. One day, the movie Wanted came out and I had to link the effects. Haven't you noticed the things that happen and the movie are almost exactly the same? Eveything seems to "speed" up or we speed up that is seeing as normal time flow stays the same. My heart rate increase, sounds become to much more intense. After watching the movie I began meditating and learning to control my mind and heart rate. And when these "episodes" come on, I can either quickly subdue them now or "goad" them on. When I do "goad" them on, I feel stronger, faster and more aware. It is an intense and scary feeling because you feel like it's either going to come to the point where you explode or just shut off from sheer exertion. I wonder if our conditions we're the basis for this movie and if maybe it holds some secret that we should be looking into. There isn't a diagnosis, yet this has been happening to people for a LONG time. Maybe there is a reason there isn't one. I for one, am continuing in my exercises. In any rate, whatever you believe, if you want to gain control over your attacks you need to learn how to control your heart rate. Just being able to calm your body and mind down decreases the amount of time spent in these "episodes" and makes them less frequent I find.
I have been struggling with this for years. My symptoms are only intense sounds and the speed at which things are perceived (extreme speed). Over the years my mother has ignored it and chalked it up to my own desire to be diffrent. I then hoped i would grow out of it and never have to deal with it again.
I am now 19 and this is what bothers me, they are becoming far more frequent , i just had my third episode this week and it ended with me on the floor. Te previous was in the middle of a calculus class and left me disabled to work, needless to say i failed the test. What stood out to me was the sheer disconnect from knowledge that i knew in that moment, almost unobtainable because of fear.
I have tried over the years to determine what triggers them, for me i have no idea. They happen to me whenever.
I'm a 42 year old woman and it's been about 20 years since I last experienced this, but I used to have these episodes when I was a child and in my teens and early 20's.  The last episode I remember did not happen in a quiet room at all, but rather while I was walking to work.  The whole world around me got quiet but loud, slowed down but sped up.  I think it was the one and only time I had the experience when I wasn't alone in a room.  I was very paranoid that people I passed on the street could tell.

Mostly they happened when I was alone in my room (I was always a person who liked to dream and I often entertained myself with my own imagination in my room).  The descriptions people have made about the sense of touch being amplified are bang on.  As well as the LOUD thoughts in the mind - narrating every move and thought.  Some episodes lasted longer than others.  Some I could snap out of within a minute but I don't really remember how I did so.

Bit of insight - I was/is a very emotionally sensitive person.  As a child I cried easily and was always worried about people being mad at me or disliking me.  I was sexually abused by 2 teenagers in my neighborhood when I was 5-6.  I blocked those experiences until I was about 12 but then I suddenly remembered everything all at once.  I had the sensory episodes before and after my memories came back, so I'm not sure if it's related.

Oh, and I'm a Scorpio too.  Not sure if that's related either.
I am having it while writing this, it is weird actually. When I started reading the posts everything was okay. Does anyone know what is this symptom called? my idiot doctor doesnt know anything about it, and i have to mention i take Tegratol and Topamax pills daily. (anti-epilepsy drugs). I would really appreciate if someone told me what is the symptom we are talking about here.
I can't believe I found so many other people who have experienced this.  I've only had it twice.  Once as a child with a fever and once as an adult while pregnant and sick.  Both times were terrifying.  As a child I heard lots of peoples voices and it sounded like they were arguing.  It would get really loud and then fade and then get loud again.  I couldn't tell what was being said.  Everything was intensified.  The second time I felt like I couldn't move at all.  I heard a very menacing voice laughing.  I promise, I'm not mental :D  I don't hear voices.  It just happened both times that the intensified sound and awareness happened.  I haven't had it again.  Thank God.
I have the same "problem" and, as 123que told, it happened for the first time when I was a child and I was sick (with fever). I had this feeling a few days ago and this time I decided to search on Google. Like a lot of people here, I just can't believe I found so many people with the same experience. I'm from Brazil and I would like to talk to someone who experience this too. If personally is not possible, please send me an e-mail (marcelo.***@****). I will follow this discussion forever until someone discoverer anything about this freaky sensation. The only thing I know is that if you keep focusing on the feeling when it´s happening, it gets worse. I never focus for too long because I'm afraid of going insane.
Hi Turco, the thing is, I asked my doctor about it, he said its a side effect of the drugs i take. Which are anti-epilepsy drugs. But I know now, that he was wrong, as many people who did not suffer from epilepsy or did not take any anti-epilepsy drugs also suffer from this problem. So I will make a research on it, until I find out whats the solution of this problem, as I see the doctors have no idea. You can contact me whenever you want, if you feel like talking to someone about it. I'll send you my email address.
I can't believe I've found this forum! I've been suffereing from this for as long as I can remember ( I'm 18 now). I genuinely thought I was the only person in the world that felt these weird sensations, so it's almost a relief knowing people have this too and im not alone.
I've just had an episode now, which is why I decided to search it by searching  in my symptoms. It's so so so strange, it's as if time is going so slowly yet really fast, small movements feel like I'm doing them really quickly and everything seems loud and bright. I can hear all my thoughts so loud in my head and it's sometimes quite scary. The only was I can get out of it is by concentrating hard on something or talking to myself. I thought I was going crazy!
Does anyone know if there is treatment for this?
Thanks for answering, Naltodd!
I never had anything related to epilepsy. It must be something related with sickness when we were children. It´s funny because when I have this sensations I always remember the first time it happened to me. Like a deja vu. I'll keep my researches too. Let's keep in touch.
What really ***** is as we read this it kind of brings it on. Are we all connected? I use to describe it to my parents when it was happening as a kid and after awhile it made my mother cry because she couldnt help me. After that i just would get thru it. You can make it stop sometimes by changing the noise level in the room..just do something different and hopefully it works.As a child sometimes it would last a half hr or just keep coming back..as we all know that feeling when you seem to be in tune with sound changing things in slow mo but its really not. It got bad as a kid were even if there was constant noise in the room it would still come on. This is the first time I have talked about this and its been happening for 30 years.Has anyone got fed up as a child and tried to play with it making different things happen? Everyone is talking about a fever..I had pnemunia ( no idea how to spell that) in 3rd grade. I need to know if we all have thibgs in common. I dont think there could be that many of us..Ive only met one perosn that maybe described it but i didnt say anything as i have been always afraid that it was something serious. I want to know if everyone is really on point in every day life, I do really good at work and am always on point. Grasping at straws but its a start as its times to really talk about this. It seems like years go by somwtimes without it hapoening no?
And its not Alice and wonderland syndrome...a lot try to tell us its that but i have never had objects seem smaller or larger. I believe we are being grouped in because there is no explanation or diagnosis. And i do not get headaches or migraines at anytime before or after the epsiodes come on. Its not like as when i was a child but they still happen
"I dreamt I was in bed, staring up at my ceiling but I couldn't move. Disembodied voices were yelling and whisper-shouting at me, but the words I could make out were really mundane."
This is a phenomenon called sleep paralysis. It happens when you are in deep sleep (REM sleep) and at this point in a sleep cycle the part of the brain that controls movement switches off because this is the time of night you have most dreams and your brain doesn't want to act out dreams. If you wake up at this point in your sleep cycle then you can't move and you tend to hallucinate.
So I've also experienced this phenomenon since I was very little. As Ive gotten older the episodes have grown less intense and quite far between.

When younger they would absolutely terrify me, however I now look forward to  these events as the distorted perception on reality is quite...well, entertaining I guess you could say. For me the intensity and loudness is quite a thrilling experience.

So I have a couple thoughts on what may be going on here. First one is that the brain is playing some kind of dream-trick on the effected person. I see the intensity as being caused by a dreamlike state. I say this because of how in dreams, the perceived duration of the dream a person is having can be longer or shorter then the time actually spent dreaming.
So (to me) the experience is as if your brain is recording the information in "high speed" and playing it back at x1.

A way, way, easier method for explaining this to people is to view a video on youtube in 30 fps, then compare that video in 60 fps.

Its my belief that this phenomenon is essentially giving us a short burst of higher "frame rate" perception of realty.

Sorry for the wall. just wanted to share my view on the matter. :)
I have experienced this feeling. It mostly happens when I am sick or sleep deprived.
It feels like waves of energy are going through the room, my breathing sounds intense, my pulse feels really loud, the tiniest movement in the sheets feels like an earthquake. Essentially, over exaggerated senses.
While this is happening, I make a conscious effort to control my surroundings but I feel paralyzed. It truly is a bizarre feeling. It only happens when I am extremely sick or overly sleep deprived.

Are these symptoms of a mad man or is this normal?

I'm literally about to cry you have no idea how happy i am to find so many people who experience this exact thing. I've been getting these episodes randomly since i was a kid, and because i happened to get really bad one while i was on the computer i decided to google it and omg i'm literally so happy right now. the only way i can describe it is that everything is really loud and sounds angry and intense. my thoughts speed up and it feels like my mind is running at a million miles an hour, and i can't focus on anything. i don't think i've ever tried to explain this to anyone, but these little episodes have terrified me for as long as i can remember. usually it only happens when i'm alone, and if it does happen around people it only lasts for a few minutes, probably because i'm more easily distracted. if anyone's reading this, i would recommend trying to distract yourself, as that's usually the quickest way i can get rid of it - if not, it just ends up going away by itself.
I only have the time speed up time! I used to be scared but when i got used to it it thrilled me! The bad part is that it was mainly in tests and situations when i needed to be concentrated. It started too when i was about 5 I think. And I also had some strange dreams about a giant voice and a bit of despair for not getting things done. If some one relates send me an email or has a name for it or a way to cause it send me an emai please! jvrbferrer(tipicalthing)gmail(dot)com
SOLUTION. Hello everyone, i think i may have the answer to thing thing most of us had or has being gorging through. I used to experience all this when i was a child and now at the age of 19 i had two episodes. Last week i went to the doctor because i had some dizziness due to that some thing inside my ear moved out of place. The thing is that, he asked me I suffer from migraine or if someone in my family did. After that, we begin to talk and I oped him about this issue that we are all talking about and trying to figure out what it is. He told me that people who have migraine are more sensitive to all kind of senses. He explained me in a simple way that our channels in our brain from where the senses "enter" are more wide than those people who do not suffer from migraine. Told that, he began to tell me that this episodes can occur when we are young do to migraine and that are very common among "us". He also told me about the alice in wonderland syndrome which is mostly present in kid who are presenting migraine, but that refers mostly to percept more sensitive the size of things. So, all in all we have nothing to worry about, we cannot find a solution to this, rather than take pills from 1 year every day in order to do a treatment to stop having migraine. It seems to be a normal thing, and it happens because of the greater sensitiveness we have when we precept senses, which includes time, perception, sight, smell etc. He also told me that some common thing in people who have migraine is to be more sensitive to smells (which can lead to dizziness), to not be able to read in a car when it is in movement, and to be afraid of height or seeing white lights around the thing we are aiming our sight to. Hope this helps! personally I'm very glad my doctor was able to inform me all this and i wanted to share with you all. Sorry for my bad english, I am from argentina and we speak spanish here :)
I'm so happy I found this forum, I've been experiecing these episodes now since I was 12 and I've never been able to put it into words until my second year biological psychology class. Its a symptom of Alice in wonderland syndrome and is often accompanied by migraines. I was diagnosed with chronic migraines several years ago, although my neurologist is now looking at the possibility that my migraines are causing this or this is causing my migraines. At first we thought it may have been a symptom of schizophrenia which frankly terrified me, but its very comforting to know what it is and that I'm not the only one. The good news is that AIWS is often treated with anti depressants, which is what I'm on for my migraines, so the episodes stop when my dose is right, although when my tolerance builds up and i start getting migraines again, i start getting episodes again.
Wow, this is amazing, that so many have experienced this! I went through this as a child. I am 42 now, and I am here because my 10 year old son is starting to experience similar things. I was hoping to find more info about what is going on. As a child, I would get weird out-of-body sensations, feel floaty, and completely lose all sense of depth perception; something that was actually across the room would suddenly appear right in front of my nose, or the ground would be seemingly eye-level. I would also at times be in a disconnected dream-like state, almost like a form of lucid dreaming (which I have as an adult), but according to my mom, I was awake and responsive, only feeling like I was in a dream. It would pass in a few minutes. This stuff went on for a year or two prior to puberty. My childhood pediatrician told my mother that it was hormones and that it would likely resolve itself when I started puberty. He was right, it did. I have for years just assumed, based on that astute pediatrician 30+ years ago, that my issues were just pre-pubescent hormones wreaking havoc on my brain. I have not experienced anything like that again (outside of one random marijuana experience about 10 years ago...and I knew THAT was drug-induced!) My son just this morning told me that he is experiencing the fast movement of time thing, as if everything around him is going on fast-forward. I personally have never come across anyone else that has experienced this kind of stuff that wasn't schizophrenic, but it isn't exactly something that gets brought up in normal conversation because of the fear of mental illness. Gotta love the internet, where people are far more open! It is good to see this is more common than I ever realized...I thought I was weird and had passed on my weird brain chemistry to my son!

It seems from these comments that the majority of people began experiencing these things in the prepubescent years. That suggests that hormones may truly play a part, at least for some people. I hope that for those of you with children wondering what the heck this is can take some comfort in that possibility, and that it passes for most people. I lived it...it was scary at the time! But it passed for me, and I hope for my son too. Those that are still experiencing this into adulthood, maybe get your hormones checked? Hormones can do some crazy things to the body and brain, and entering peri-menopause now, I can attest to that in whole new ways!
ShellyP166 - This is a form of anxiety attack that your son is having. Since it happened when he was eating in a restaurant, he is now associating that with eating. My husband and daughter used to have a horrible time with this, particularly in a restaurant. They have both found ways to manage it, and rarely ever experience it anymore, and never to the extent they used to. My daughter used to go outside and throw up! The best way to handle this is to tackle restaurants first. Go when it is not crowded, and make sure he sits on a side of the room, not in the center of the restaurant, and away from any loud parties, and close to an exit or a restroom. Get your table, then show your son the exit and the restroom, as this can immediately put him at ease that there is an "escape" route he can take if he needs it. Feeling trapped in an environment like that will increase his anxiety. If he starts to feel sick, walk him outside where it is quiet and he can get a breath of fresh air. He needs to see that the anxiety passes, and he is will be ok after. Let him go to the restroom as needed, it is quieter and there are less people, so he can relax for a minute. Encourage him, and remind him that it is anxiety that is causing these symptoms, to breathe and think of something else. Bring stuff with you to distract him, or play a little game like "I Spy" to keep him focused on something. It is important to talk to him about what is happening, and that it is the anxiety of getting sick that is actually making him sick...it is a vicious cycle that needs to be broken, ASAP. An anxiety attack can occur at random times for numerous reasons including just a chemical imbalance, and some people will continue to associate those horrible feelings with whatever situation was happening when they experienced them, and so they will try to avoid that "trigger". The fear of that trigger will cause more anxiety. It is a terrible thing to experience, so be patient with him and help him realize that he is not powerless and can get through it and eventually overcome it. Once he realizes that he can get through a situation and be fine, the anxiety will start to ease; the more success he has with it, the more empowered he will feel over it, and it will go away.
I am a 45 yr old male and had this happen often when I was young around the age of probably 7-14 yrs of age. For me everything got extremely loud, and it seemed like if a feather dropped, I would be able hear it when it landed.  Over the years it just subsided.  The only thing I can say at this point in reflection is, for me I believe it was attached to my epilepsy which was identified at about 30 yrs of age.  I have had simple and complex Seizures and it seemed oddly related for me to the "noise moments" of my youth.  While my Complex Seizures are controlled with the medicine Tegratol, the simple seizures are not as much but I function as a professional in society.  When I was young, telling someone that everything kept getting really loud or I became hypersensitive might of landed me in the psychologists chair.  Fortunately today this isn't the case for most young people today.  While I am not on this sight to make people frightened that their child has Epilepsy, I am simply saying be aware of it as a potential option that can be controlled with drugs and provide them an excellent life the quicker it is identified.
Viewing 601-606 comments: