Neurology Community
Surroundings becoming weird and fast/intense/loud

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viewing 401-514 comments:
WildFan16 these are the exact same episodes I am going through. I started noticing them in about 2nd grade while taking math tests or sometimes when waking up on weekends and being in a house devoid of all noise(in this instance usually something like focusing on a television or talking out loud would usually end the episode). there are other instances of this happening throughout my childhood and they have been getting less and less scarce as I've been getting older. however, I just turned 20 years old last month and here I am in a house with no sound and no matter what I do I can't make this feeling go away. I didn't recognize it at first but I just recalled that this used to happen to me often as a kid and I want an answer. I have been told that it could be a mild form of epilepsy but was never diagnosed by a professional for fear of getting a special condition added to my record and prevent me from obtaining certain jobs or put me in a predicament if I ever had to go to court for a driving related incident. I don't want to go on any longer without know what this is. I want to know.

it is comforting to know that other people are experiencing this though and there may be an explanation somewhere.
It's comforting to see so many people that experience this.

I've been having these "episodes" since I was about 7/8 and they still frighten me now at the age of 26.
Mine start where I can hear past arguments and people shouting in my head before noises in the room get increasingly louder and everything gets faster around me. Although I have also had experiences of everything going very slowly as well.... With the surroundings changing I also can sense everything around me growing and myself shrinking but it's almost like an out of body experience...... Usually when the episodes pass I'm left with a sharp pain in the front of my head above my eye this only usually lasts a few minutes or so
Sounds similar to what I have had a few times... almost always while relaxed in bed.  A rushing noise getting louder and louder, my heart rate accelerating to an impossible rate, the surroundings changing shape and speed.

It started again last night and I was too afraid to let it take me... so I woke my wife and made her talk me down... I could feel it coming and trying to edge its way in... but eventually it subsided.

Scary thing is that as it is beginning, I start remembering the other times it happened and begin to know what is happening to me... but after the experience, all memories are lost.  Sometimes I can remember fractures of a moment, such as leaning to grasp something physical and my hand always passing through it.

Weirdest part is that when I think about it too much, I can feel it begin to try and take me.

Only things anyone ever told me was that these were Out of Body Experiences... or that I was experiencing a hint of what lies beyond death.

Any way you look at it... it is freaky, scary and fascinating all at the same time.
I noticed it when i was young. i actually thought it was cool i felt like i had supernatural powers because all my senses were heightened. Im now 16 and in highschool and i've been having these occurences every couple months. The last one i had lasted a couple minutes but it felt like hours. Im just glad i found this web page. i thought i was the only one. My mom thinks im crazy whenever i try to describe the feeling.
I can't describe how thankful I am to how found this forum. I've had these episodes since I was in elementary school. They used to terrify me. Now I have them less often, and they're not so scary, but absolutely a nuisance. The way the sounds get louder and louder until the world seems to vibrate and there's always a high pitch ringing along with it. Ugh!! And the accelerated speed of all the noise is so frustrating. Even when I read a book in my head slowly it sounds exponentially fast. I've kept these "episodes" secret from everybody my whole life for fear of being thought of as crazy,(although I honesty thought I was when it came to this) that's this forum was so much for than a relief to me in knowing that I'm not alone.

Thank you everyone !!! We'll suffer together :/
Similar experience for me as a child.  It was terrifying to me, and I would cry.  Only way I can explain it is that I was 'seeing far away' and nobody in my family understood it, and on one occasion an aunt told me I was just looking for attention.

These episodes started when I was very small, maybe 4 or 5.  It would happen several times a year.  Everything looked small and far away, but noises would be very loud.  Even rubbing my hand across a blanket would be so loud.  My sisters would try to help me, and they would hug me and rub my back, but their hand rubbing on the back of my shirt would be so loud.  It was awful and every time it happened I was terrified.

I have not had this happen to me for decades. I am 50 now, and the last time it happened I was about 22 or 23.  That last time it happened, I was just as terrified as I would be as a child.  It was the weirdest thing, and nobody in my family understands it.  So glad that I found this post - all of the comments are blowing my mind.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Omg no way the same thing is happening to me right now i feel like theres something in my ear idk everything is so ******* loud and fast my fans on rn and its like screaming in my ear, it used to happen alot when i was little and then it stopped but lately its been happening again, its so hard to descirbe im so happy im not the only one this happens to ahahah.
I always have this feeling when i am lying in bed unable to sleep, I picture thousands of different people who I can not recognize yelling and screaming at me I don't know the reason. I also picture many different events moving in extreme fast motion, I don't even know what the events are. Sometimes its very frightening. And I want to know what the hell is going on.    
has anyone found what this symptom is called im having it as im writing this letter and i have had them since i was around 6 , one thing is i also have had 3 seasures in my life. im currently in the military and it seems to be happening more frequently. hoping you guys maybe had some advice on how to deal with it or what to tell my doc. i also noticed that this comes in different phases like hearing then sight then feel usually fell is first for me and hearing is a constant through but gets super intense to the point as to where the clicking of my keyboard sounds like im pounding in it and im just typing normally
This also happens to me. It just happened a few minutes ago. I'm nearing towards the end of this "attack." I don't know about the whole silence theory though. Last time before just now while I was cleaning my room. I was outside cleaning up leaves with the leaf blower listening to music with headphones fairly loud and also using loud outdoor equipment. But I have experience these "attacks" now for as long as I can remember. I am 20 now. I always just assumed it was an anxiety attack. But from what I've experienced and from what I have read about anxiety attacks they don't add up. The feeling will come over me randomly whenever no matter the time of day or circumstances. Everything just seems way more intense and extreme than it actually is. I don't know about time wise though because I feel as if I lose perception of time but none has ever lasted more than 30-45 minutes. But now that I think about it it does seem to me that these seem to happen only when I'm alone with no other interaction with others. But the sound frequency doesn't seem to matter. I dunno I will continue my journey what's going on with me. Hope this helps.
I had a very similar experience yesterday and haven't had it for a long while. Normally when I am concentrating and leaning forward for a long period of time. Doing the crossword, reading the paper etc. I've had it for as long as I can remember although it's been less frequent in recent years. I am now 31.

When it happens if I don't sit up and walk around for a bit before it hits it lasts a lot longer. The sensation is that everything every thought is hyper fast and hyper loud. Like time has been sped up. I have searched in the past and never quite found any explanation for it. Good to hear other out there know what it's like.

Normally for me a shower and standing up straight and distracting myself makes it go away. It never seems to last that long. When I was in high school and was reading books for long periods at a desk I would get it quite often.
I can't believe how many other people, besides me, have had this happen to them!! I've just had one now, I'm lying in bed, with a headache, trying to sleep. I've experienced these for a while now for years. I've only just googled it now, and would really like to know what it is.
My experience seems similar to BeardTechnology. I have what I call speed rushes. I've had them since I was a kid. I am 38. They happen most commonly when I am tired and concentrating, e.g., reading in bed, studying etc. I also get them when I have a fever. It's dominated by a feeling of being in an environment that is moving very fast, although I know it is not. The episodes are usually easy to stop, but not always. They require me to stop concentrating or find a distraction. I probably get three episodes a year on average. After all these years I've come to expect a certain range of  intensity. This pattern was blown out of the water last night. I was recovering from a stomach flu and I had an extremely bad episode that was unbelievably intense and out of control.
This happens to me really frequent now as well and when I try to describe it to family member they don't seem to understand I really wish I knew what was going on is it something really bad? I know it's def not normal
I had this when I was a child, I am now 23 and still experience this occasionally. After doing some research I found it is called Alice In Wonderland Syndrome. Follow this link to watch a video about AIWS.

http://youtu.be/Ph7fh7dTU5k

After watching this I thought to myself that is exactly it. This syndrome distorts your perception of time, sight, sound, and touch. Making you and your surroundings seem to be going faster, and objects look as if they are larger or smaller, causing sounds to seem louder, and everything you touch doesn't feel like it should.    
Thank god it's not just me! My first experience was when I was about 10 and I had a fever. The noise somehow got into my dreams and the intense white noise I heard turned into the sound of a man quietly screaming into my ear. I'm now 16 and still afraid of the noise. My best tip for anyone experiencing this kind of thing is to try to keep a catchy tune in your head at all times, especially when you're sleeping! Also, try sleeping on your side, it's helped refrain my attacks for the past 6 years. Perhaps its something to do with the crystals in your ear...
I had it a lot when I was young 10 years old and up, I was diagnosed with simple partial seizures, I had extra electrical (paroxysmal) activity in the brain. As I got older it stopped, I am 51 years old now and I had an event about a week ago, I also have had ringing in my ears since I was about 10 years old, and see auras around people, Whatever it is I am still around, its just an altered perception of consciousness, everything moves fast and is very loud, I can even hear whispering, and sometimes when people talk its as if they never said anything, it disappears, I cant really explain it,
this is exactly what happens to me .When I 6-12 I liked it  .I would run my finger nails across my corduroy pants and could make it happen then it stooped at around 12 years old now I'm 41 and it has been going on for about a year now. It scares me though I hate it . Inter action with other talking seems to be the best for me to get it to stop
wow! the one all of you are experiencing happened to me again few hours ago. this all started when i was young probably 8-10yo. i used to cry every time the "feeling"  happened to me because it is very scary. and until now, once in a while it happens.

most of the time it happens in the morning when i wake up. i will first hear something very weird in my ears or in my head. something like something is humming or like an airplane getting louder and louder. and when im totally awake i feel like my hands are so huge and anything i touch is so huge! it feels very weird!!!!!! i once asked the doctor about this thing but they dont know how i feel. probably they were thinking im just hallucinating.

right now, every time it happened what is do is to shake my head and just put headset or my phone to listen to music and after that it is usually gone.  

i hope soon there will be an explanation and what is happening to us!!
To all that feels similar experience, try to learn meditation. even if you just search online and try on your own if you can go to classes. It should help. If that fails, talk with your family, talk with your doctor. You do not need to go through experiences that scary you or bothers you. If you look for help and talk with someone, this will get better. They did for me.
Amazing that this seems to be so common. And strange that most of us never really talked about it. I definitely had what is being described, peaking from about 9-12 years old, but continuing until my early twenties. It went away for a few years, but came back very strongly in a period of drug addiction and depression in my thirties. I've been clean for five years, and haven't had one episode. I only told three people about it in m life: my mother, who didn't really follow up, one girlfriend who would help me get out of it, and a friend who I was staying with for a while whom I had to wake up to help me out one night. I don't know why I was so hesitant to ever tell anyone, it just seemed so strange... I think I was afraid it was some mental problem, and the original onset coincided exactly with my father unexpectedly dying when I was eight years old, so I always wondered if it was some sort of stress disorder.

The description is the same as most people here: Everything seems fast, loud, and aggressive, far away and very close at the same time, my own thoughts are overly loud. It almost always seems to come up in a period of intense concentration, although during the drug years it would come up at odd times, once when I was driving on the interstate on a road trip. It would frighten me  very badly at first, but later it just felt like something I'd have to deal with and an inconvenience. Actually, I do remember once describing it to someone in a bar who was talking about panic attacks, and they told me that's what it was. But anxiety always seemed like a secondary thing, the change in perception was primary. And later there wasn't any anxiety at all.

For me the way to pull out of it was talking to someone, I would try the television, but it wouldn't always work. And I was usually too overwhelmed to speak much, so I would sometimes have to wake up whoever was around (if it was nighttime) and get them to talk to me for a while, usually just a few minutes.

So do we know what the hell this is? I haven't read the entire thread, but I see seizures, ADHD (I don't fit the profile for that otherwise at all), Alice In Wonderland Syndrome (I found that online ten years ago, and thought that described it pretty well) a few votes for panic attacks... Anyone actually diagnosed by a doctor?
I experienced this as a child too and it occurred around the same time every year. To the point where I would be terrified of the month of November. It would always be followed by a fever and chills. And sweats. I even told a doctor about this during a checkup and she quickly said it could be a result of having a fever. Well fast forward to June 10, 2013, I had a violent seizure and nearly died. Turns out I had a brain tumor growing. I had brain surgery on June 28, 2013. And they also discovered an aneurysm during surgery that wasn't detected in the MRI scans. That's the less dramatic version. Hope it helps some people. I recommend people to get MRIs. Had I taken one much earlier I could have been saved all the traumatic experience of brain surgery. I hear radiation works if it's benign (which mine was).

-Sage
Amazing can't believe there is a whole network of people with this problem.iv had the same thing since I was about 7 now I'm 23 and just suffering with one right now iv read through everyone's comments and I feel like I have read them in seconds but it's taken me ages. Thanks for everyone's info iv never known what it was and doctors have never be enable to tell me. It's mind blowing how many people suffer with these but people have never herd about them.
This has been going on with me since I was pre-teen and I'm in my 40s now. I don't really talk about it because it's so hard to explain but this is it exactly. I was just having an episode and I grabbed my phone to look it up (which made it stop). I have described these to my husband who thinks it's anxiety attacks. I'll admit that I have a lot going on in my life but when I look up anxiety attacks nothing describes this. He has panic attacks and has learned that they come on when he is calm and not in a stressed state, he said that panic attacks can come on days or weeks after a stressful event. I wonder if this is some form of anxiety???? I always think I should tell my doctor but never do because I feel foolish when trying to explain it. Has anyone ever explained it to your doctor and got an explanation? I think I will.
So glad I found this forum! I googled "sudden amplified hearing" and close to none of the searches ticked the checkbox of whatever was going on with me, and reading the comments sure made me feel less mutant. I've been having episodes like these for the past year. But mine wouldn't typically last any longer than a minute. Yesterday I had a longer, more intense episode, and if I could liken/describe it to anything it would be like the "panic attack" that the main character in the movie WANTED suffers from. Everything was in slow motion, every sound was crisp, clear, and exaggerated, and i could feel and hear my heart pounding. As it came in it would feel like a gate in my right ear opened and all sounds was magnified ten folds, then the "seizure" would go into a full blown swing and it was like someone pressed a slow-mo button in my life. This episode though, unlike the previous episodes, left me kind of blank/unresponsive (although i was AWARE/not unconcious) for about 10 seconds, almost as if my mind was trying to recover/buffer from what just happened.

I just talked to my sister about it and apparently she has similar episodes since young, only hers lasted longer and is more similar to the other posters. Like a lot of voices crowding in her head, and amplified self-perception (kind of like one of the posters commented about "THIS CARPET IS SURE LOUD TO WALK ON") also, she does not experience slowing of the environment and is able to force-sleep it off if it happens for a few hours.

I guess the difference would be that I'm just looking up on this for curiosity, as mine isn't very disabling (it was actually quite an interesting experience, whenever an episode arises) as compared to what my sister/other posters experienced. Am keen to know if anyone else has experienced what I did!

DIsclaimer: no, i do not think I have superpowers like in Wanted, it's actually far from it, I get quite disconnected from reality, and life seems like a fleeting movie/pictures/sequence of actions, almost like a dream. (fortunately, or unfortunately, my episodes does not last longer than a minute or two) also, I dont take hallucinogens, no LSD or none of those :)
Finally after years of not knowing what was wrong with my child,
my son who is 23 years old, was properly diagnosed November 2013 with :  "Atypical Migraine Variant."  
He was prescribed with:  Propranolol ( low dose, once a day)
Since taking this medication, ( 6 weeks now)  he has not had an episode!  

The same thing is happening to me as Im typing this! I feel like im yelling random crap in my head and I have a zoomed in vision. It's probably caused because I've been laying here on my bed all night staring at this small phone screen in a quiet room.
it really is fantastic to find this article and read through all these problems knowing that there are others who experience this odd phenomenon.
as a young child i had these 'attacks' alot more frequently than now, age 16, where i get one every couple of months. for me i dont think i experience too much of the distorted vision that some people here have talked about but i definitely can relate the the amplified sounds people hear. however the worst part of it for me has always been the feeling that everything is almost fast forwarded, but only slightly so that everything is just a bit quicker. its a very uncomfortable and odd feeling and i have noticed that in each episode i develop a great sense of self-awareness, especially from the amplified sounds which make me feel as though i can hear every sound that i even slightly make. i think they only tend to last from 3-5 minutes for me.
i have tried  explaining the experience to my mother a few times in the past but, understandably, she never quite understood. one time though, around a year ago, i tried explaining to my older brother (two years older) and he told me he had also experienced this when he was younger, but had not had it happen any time recently. this was of some comfort to me but finding this article has really helped me to feel more calm about the odd condition and hope my story adds to this in at least some way
I tried Topomax (topamax) and had to stop taking it.  I was an mental wreck!  Cried at everything.  I thought I was just having a hard time with the new job or something until a friend spoke up and said she had never seen me like this.  Stopped the Topomax (topamax) and the "crazy" went away.  Until a doctor gave me Lyrica.  Same story.
Your comment is the most similar to how I feel when I have these 'episodes'. Mine generally last anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes and the only way I can describe them is that on the outside, everything seems very quiet to me i feel somewhat dazed but im still functioning but on the inside in my head, every thought that is running through is being screamed and yelled so fast that it becomes so overwhelming. Trying to focus and to calm myself down doesn't help and I most of the time have to just ride it out. At the end I'm near shaking and my heartbeat is racing. I've been experiencing this on and off since I was a kid and the latest one was about half an hour ago. I'm incredibly scared about what is going on and I really want to find out what's happening to me.
I have had these episodes for as long as I can remember and I thought I was the only one. but after just having one while sitting at my computer at work I decided to google it and was amazed that others were describing exactly what I was experiencing. I happened to have a wrist blood pressure cuff at my desk while I was in what I call "fast-forwards"  and my blood pressure was sky rocketed to 210/109!!! I normally have normal to slightly high blood pressure but at those numbers it's considered a hypertensive crisis. 10 minuets after the episode my BP was down to 139/87. I'll be going to see a doctor tomorrow to see if I should be concerned.  
JESUS I'm so glad I found this. I've experienced this ever since I was a kid and the first time I remember it happened during a nightmare. I leaped out of bed and the feeling persisted for about a minute or two. It was so intense and strange all my perceptions seemed to be out of whack and my mind felt like it was on steroids.

Everything was moving a million miles a second! Every touch, thought or action was amplified x10000. God damn horrible.

It also happens when I'm sick.

Even worse made the fact that nobody in my household understood when I tried to explain it.

Theres a way to stop it though. If you find yourself in the midst of this ********, know that it will be gone in a couple of seconds and just do something relaxing. For me, I would sit and watch T.V. or just focus on my breathing.

Hope this helps guys.

P.S. WHY HASN'T THIS BEEN INVESTIGATED BEFORE? Is this phenomena only present within my generation?
It seems it doesn't last long for me, but when it happens, it hits as hard as a brick.

One time it was so intense I threw up because It was so overwhelming.
what is your horrer scope/zodiace mine is a scorpio this has happend to me and my father my father is a scropio to
hahaha its interesing as im a scorpio myself too :P
I had many episodes like this as a boy of 9 through 12. And, I later had episodes, as well. I can only describe the episodes as enhanced senses, usually occurring at night although they would occur less frequently during the day. I usually retreated to the bathroom where I sat in fear for as long as a half hour. Vision was acute...everything, even the ceiling looked as though close enough to touch. Sounds were extremely magnified to the extent that even quiet had sound. My fingers felt thick and huge. When I thought with words they were screamed in my head. I can almost feel the fear and sensations I felt then, now more than 50 years later. I was intriguing when I had an episode only a few years ago, for I was more fascinated than fearful. The trigger is a mystery, however, I have survived the episodes without any further problems. You shouldn't feel fearful about discussing these episodes with parents. These episodes are indeed extremely scary at the time of occurrence. You are not alone in your anxiety over them. Good luck and good health to you.
oh my. this is rather interesting that so many people have this. i remember having episodes like this at age 5. it happened everyday day or night. then every other day. then once a week day or night. then once a week only at night. then once a month at night. i haven't had one in 10 months and just had one last night. and when it hit, it hit hard.it scared the ever loving crap out of me and i cried the rest of the night. to me everybody talks REALLY fast and loudly, people would move in this fast/slow motion way, and i feel as if i walk really quickly and things would be very far away and distorted(i tried to sit in a chair and completely missed), but to everybody else i look and talk normal. i used to stop it by slowing down my breathing significantly and not moving at all and then it'd gradually go away. and then when i got older i would get up and walk around and it'd go away. but none of that helped this time. i lost track of all time so i don't really know how long they last. plus i'm only 16 so this has gone on for 11 or so years.
I'm 14 years old and this sensation happened every single night for about a week back in the 5th grade. It happened only in the middle of the night. I would wake up and just be terrified of nothing. Sounds were amplified and my heart would race. i would have to bury myself in my blanket because I was just terrified.

It stopped happening frequently a couple years ago, but now it's been happening again and again, usually when i'm just sitting around in my bed. It actually happened about 20 minutes ago and I decided I had to look it up (or at least try to because it's so hard to describe) And I am so relieved to know i'm not alone.

What I wanna know is does anyone else get awaken at night with this feeling? I do sometimes and when that happens I always have these thoughts racing through my brain involving large numbers. I don't know what they're even about, but it'll be something like 1,000,000 people can die. It's not actually about people dying, but whenever I try to think about what it actually is I get scared and I literally lose the thought. Extremely strange and just plain scary.
look up AIWS (alice in wonderland syndrome) and see if it fits the profile of what you experience (I found it and it fits what I experience in my "episodes"). If it does bring it up with a doctor as a possibility (that's what i'm doing) if not still go to a doctor. Mine happens at nights now. It used to day or night. And maybe ask about a referral to a neurologist and/or get and MRI.
Just like most you I'm shocked that even one person- let alone the number that have posted here, have felt the exact same symptoms as I have. In fact, it's sort of happening as I type this. The sound of my fingers typing on the keyboard is amplified and there seems to be a weird buzzing energy or urgency to everything. My thoughts are loud and sound unnatural- like listening to a movie on 1.5x speed and too high a volume.

Like some of you, I first felt this way when I was 10 and had a feverish nightmare. I dreamt I was in bed, staring up at my ceiling but I couldn't move. Disembodied voices were yelling and whisper-shouting at me, but the words I could make out were really mundane. Instead of having a voice yell insults at me- I remember hearing things like the weather report I had heard that morning, or my mother's voice reading out a grocery list. Even so, I remember been panic-stricken and terrified. I couldn't really tell if I was  asleep and when I finally awoke I had to pace around the house for a while trying to get my ears to stop hurting and my thoughts to stop yelling. I never told anyone about the weird nightmare or the fact that since then I've (sporadically) felt that same way while I've been wide awake. I notice the episodes come on more frequently when I'm sleep deprived or sick and when I've been sitting in silence or concentrating for a period of time. I've only ever had auditory effects, however- I've never experienced the visual "hallucinations" or distortions as described by the Alice in Wonderland syndrome.

Does anyone else notice that voices sound sarcastic and taunting when the commotion comes on? I often try to watch tv or play youtube clips when I can feel the episode starting. I've noticed that the actors' voices sound not so much distorted, but mean-spirited. This isn't to say I'm paranoid, because I can always tell that it's only because of the 'commotion' but it really makes it hard for me distract myself. Has anyone ever experienced this?
I use to get this to only after waking from the same accuring nightmare...  I still remember the dream till this day,  extremely hard to explain but I'll do my best.... There's one large room like a warehouse size EVERYTHING is white you can't see the floor and there's two rooms running off from the large one one room being at top left and one in the middle left and that one was a bathroom keep in mind the rooms shapes we're rectangular...  I'd first be standing in the large rectangular room,  suddenly I start hearing voices some really fast some slow some saying I'm gonna get you and other just constantly laughing At me,  then suddenly (this is where it's hard to describe) these thing's appear in a swinging motion they seem sort of hard but like cushion sort of look like a balloon too there's all sorts of shapes mostly squares and round they were all swinging from the ceiling by a rope or wire of some sort,  I can still hear the voices as they were getting louder the swinging shapes suddenly had faces eyes and mouths,  showing mockery facial expressions some evil expression I was scared they'd get me and I'd try run to the top left room but never cld make it so always end up in the bathroom which was very narrow all of a sudden they wld try n start swinging into the room I was in but couldn't get in as the door frame was too narrow and the round swinger always tried to squize in and it looked like a squished circle and it was always a evil or laughter face telling me they gonna get me....  I'd always wake after I'd reach the bathroom in a panick I was soo scared I felt like someone was watching me I cld still hear the voices they get louder n louder all of a sudden I'd get dizzy so I'd get up n my vision is narrow and seems really fast like everything on the side of my eye's was going or spinning fast but in front of me was very narrow....  I learnt that watching TV helped but was really scary to start off with it always happen to be the news on and the reporter's voices was very loud and deep sometimes scary n blurry like gibberish but after a while reporter starts to sound normal.  it happened every night sometimes every second or third..... I had a feeling that if I don't pull myself together something is gonna kill me,  it happen so often that I learnt how to make it go away and I learnt how to control my reoccurring dream but in both I cld never change anything just that I was aware what was going on and I cld never shake the fear but I knew it wasnt real and during it I always had to remind myself I'm OK when I started to do this it slowly went away then stopped it started when I was around 11yrs old n stepped around 13 but reoccurring in minor ways once a blue moon I'm now 26yrs old and last night had a dream of a spider that looked like a huntsman or tarantula black and brown striped with a Lil white spider crawling towards me n crawling on my foot tickling me but I was sort of scared but more annoyed and I started shaking it off my foot but it wldnt come off so I shook again and I relised I I was just dreaming (I was awake shaking this spider off)  the second dream probably has nothing to do with this but it's the first dream that's felt so vivid since I was 11 and it scared me I'm hoping it doesn't come back....... I always thought I was crazy n ppl wld look at me like I'm talking **** for attention but I wasn't good to know I'm not the only one that experienced this...
You're last comment perfectly describes exactly what I went through the voice not so distorted but more evil n loud I was terrified..... but TV was the only thing that wld help for a while.... Omg... thnx
The only thing to do, to make it go away.  Close your eyes and start breathing exercise thru' your nose.  Avoid sugar and caffeine.  If it's start with Migraine head ache try taking vitamin b2.
Like so many I can't believe that this forum exists, I wasn't even sure what to google to find out what I was experiencing.
I started getting these episodes when I was about 7-8 yrs old. I would be asleep and I remember hearing lots of people talking all at once so that I couldn't pick out words. I remember a huge ball of cork with me and it would make me feel un easy, the texture of it. The voices would get louder until I would wake up then all the sounds around me would be unbearable loud, the TV downstairs and even the sound of me moving in the bed. Everything felt speeded up, I felt like even just turning to get put of the bed I was doing this really fast. I would walk to the bathroom which felt like I was moving at the speed of a run. All of the rooms felt as though the got huge or I got small. This would last for up to an hour while I had a cold towel on my forehead. I had these at least once a month until I learnt that if I was to stare only at the light bulb in my room it would subside quicker. I only had them at night and I stopped having them for a while until about 5 yrs ago I was out in the street talking to a neighbour and it happened, the whole street felt as though it was moving backwards away from me. I still get it now at the age of 35 but maybe once every 3 months.
Another thing thats weird is that it's impossible to even reason with yourself. Even your own voice in you head sounds ****** up.
I had these episodes many times as a child, I am now 35 and haven't had one since my late 20's. Thank God. They terrified me, and I never told anyone. My symptoms were the same as most people describe on this thread. I too am shocked that so many people have these and most shocking is that we don't tell anyone! I don't have any idea what causes this or what it is, but I can say that I don't believe for one second that it is anxiety related, I have General Anxiety Disorder and panic attacks, they are nothing alike. I wonder if this is hereditary though because it happens to my oldest daughter. She is 14 now, she says the episodes started when she was about 6, she didn't tell me on her own though. We were watching TV one night, when she was about 9, when she suddenly starting whispering, SLOWLY she even appeared to be in slow motion... deliberately. She had a faraway terrified look on her face. She tried to get up and walk away from me. I KNEW what was happening to her, I RECOGNIZED it!! I very quietly said, "what is happening to you?" She didn't answer so I asked if everything was too fast and too loud? She nodded and started to cry. I couldn't believe it. After the episode was over we just sat and discussed the episodes with each other like people who were so excited to find a kindred spirit. I thought I was all alone. Every time this happens to my daughter she has me to come to. I wish there was someone that would have understood what was going on with me when I was a kid. It is a lonely condition to have, I am so sad to find that there are no real answers about this...
Hey, I'm a high school student and I have these very often you have the exact same thing I have been having since I've been a kid. I need help I feel like it's been affecting my life a little bit extreme headaches have occurred and I want to figure out what has been going on with me.
My 8-year-old son is experiencing these symptoms with alarming frequency (sounds are too loud and fast, he is small while everything around him is big or vice versa, balance is off).

We are pursuing it with a neurologist because the episodes have become so frequent and can be debilitating. There is a history of migraine in my family, but my son's episodes do not involve any headache pain. I know these can present without migraine too. I've read the epilepsy can also be a cause, though there is no indication at this point that he suffers from that.

Has anyone had a diagnosis of headache-less migraine that features these size and time distortion symptoms? I'm trying not to diagnose him myself, but I want to go into his appointment with as much information as possible.
How long did your son's episodes last? Did he experience any headache pain? My 8-year-old son is going through this and it's really scary. We don't know if it's migraine related or something else. We see a neurologist in a couple of weeks, which doesn't feel soon enough. Over the past 2 weeks, these episodes have been increasing in frequency, 2-3 per day. I do have a history of migraine in my family, including atypical migraine, but no one has described these symptoms in association with migraine. Thanks for your feedback. Sincerely, - A concerned mom
Look up Alice in Wonderland Syndrome. It seems to be associated most frequently with migraines, epilepsy and the onset of Epstein-Barr. You are not alone. My 8-year-old son is struggling with this and we're trying to get a firm diagnosis. Migraines run in the family, so that's a distinct possibility.

Hang in there. And get in with a neurologist if these are persistent and disruptive.

All the best to you.
Im glad i found this forum also because it just happened to me a few minutes ago.  i was reading this time. does anyone remember having trouble sleeping when they were young. i was about7/8 years old and i remember looking at the moon for hours trying to go to sleep.  it first happened to me then. im 38 now.  its really scary sometimes but the only comfort is that im confident it will go away.  Sometimes i held my breath and it went away but maybe the time was just up and it was about to stop anyway. it used to make me wish i was really moving that fast but the result of my actions proved otherwise.  it sneaks up on you.  My mom had scleroderma . im thinking it may stem from early childhood sleep deprivation.  i still think a whole lot.  even when i was young i believe i thought more than the average kid my age.  it is also triggered when my mind is used to something like the sound of a fan and tv at the same time. it occurs only when i am alone, totally relaxed.
My little girl of 8 has the exact same symptoms as you! Have you had anything checked and do you know the cause of it?
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you Tracy
I have experienced the very loud noises and many of the other experiences in this forum and i too was scared and it happened in my childhood in tne middle of the night and i would cry..well i was researching and have found what i have.   The condition is called Tinnitus and i really had to research Tinnitus in depth cos only a small percentage including me suffered from these extreme experiences....most people that have tinnitus have mild symtoms (symptoms) but if u read on and research Tinnitus You will read that some not all of the experiences we had or have are due to Tinnitus and whatever else we might have but Reading about severe symptoms of Tinnitus put me on the right track to understanding the traumatic experiences i had as a five year old kid with no one to really understand what i was going through!
I too experienced these scary loud noises during the night when i was 5 years old and up and i researched and found that severe symptoms of Tinnitus is what i experienced...Mild symptoms of tinnitus do not explain our experiences only severe symptoms of tinnitus does!!
I experienced this when i was 5 years old and researched that severe symptoms of Tinnitus was the cause of my traumatic childhood experiences!!
Please research severe symptoms of Tinnitus
I've experienced many of the symptoms that everyone describes in their comments.  Along with, but not always at the same time "Alice in wonderland syndrome".

I would like to list what I believe to be causes, and maybe share some of my experiences if I'm up to it after typing on my tablet for however long this takes.

First of all, what I've find to be causes are
× being sick/fever
× starting to fall asleep
× dark room with or without tv, computer, or phone
× certain fast music
  × the music on the title screen of the movie "drive" just initiated the experience for me to happen for the first timee in years. Besides having Alice in wonderland syndrome periodically all by itself.
× reading books

Umm, that seems to be all I can recall causing it for me.

My first experience was somewhere around the age of 5 or 6, I am now almost 25. It happened while laying on my couch in the midst of flu like symptoms accompanied by what my parents seemed to think was a fever close to being high enough to take me to the hospital.  I looked over the edge of the couch at the metallic bowl set there just in case I needed to vomit, and the red carpet and entire ground for that matter sped away from me at an alarming and almost infinite rate. At about the same time my perception of all noises were increased along with my perception of the speed at which everything was happening. Not to mention everything "felt" BIG. Even though I wasn't exactly touching anything it still seemed like I was and that it was over sized.  Sometimes I get the BIG feeling all by itself while falling asleep.  During the time of me laying down, my parents were moving around the house doing normal things, and I told them they needed to slow down, and that they were moving too fast, even though they assured me they weren't. Years later they informed me that they starting walking in slow motion to try to make me feel better. I finally feel asleep and awoke still sick and sweating, but the"hallucinations"(which is what best seems to describe it) were gone.

I also have had a weird "needle in a haystack" re occurring experience, where elephants are running in circles, while I try to find a needle in a haystack, and usually succeed. While I'm looking for it, I experience the fast the BIG and the far away and the loud.

Hope this has been an interesting read, and if anyone would like to contact me for conversion on this subject or to share experiences, or just for anything, feel free to email me at ***@****

I would share more, but my tablet is at 4% and that was quite a bit of Swype ing. Lol thanks.  And sorry for any misspelling or wrong words,I don't really feel like going back and fixing them, so blame androids Swype.  :)

Just can't believe there are this many people who suffer like me. I thought I had some psychological disorder or something because when ever I try to explain it to my mom about my situation, she would end up saying I had lots of free time at hand and is influenced by movies. No one cared to even fully hear what I had to say. Some aunt even told me to pray regarding it.

It all started even I was below 10 i guess and during bed time. Even lucid dreams used to occur before or after this. The sound of fan seemed to be very loud also with the snoring sound of my dad from the other room. Later on it started occurring at school or in afternoons when I lay on the couch. Feel as if everyone is shouting at each other and at me. Also felt as if my heat beat has highly increased. Most of these episodes last for around 2-3 minutes i think. Sometimes listening to music that time helps it to pass and also listening to music when normal causes it to occur.

It even occurred during my first interview.Everything starting getting all intense when I was speaking with my department head. I felt if I was speaking really fast, without pausing to think, and loud. I wish if I could get the right name for this condition soon. I dont think its Tinnitus nor Alice in Wonderland Syndrome.
I know exactly how all of your are feeling. I experienced this at a very young age and haven't for years now. I woke awake in the night with sounds like voices in my head that sounded very sped up and muffled, I could not make out what was being said. It sounded like a bunch of voices but not normal voices, almost demonic. Many of you are looking for a medical answer to this and I'm here to tell you this isn't a medical problem. Don't waste your time on doctor visits and spend money on medication. Many of you will probably disregard what I'm saying but what I'm saying is what's real. You are experiencing a spiritual attack by demonic forces. The spiritual realm is very much real, even realer than the realm we are in now. The only way to stop these attacks are to pray and rebuke these voice in the name and blood of Jesus! Praying and speaking in Gods name can and will stop your attacks. You have been looking for answers and I'm here to tell you that all you need is the power of the Holy Spirit. I really hope some of you take this into consideration and my post has helped some of you. Don't be ignorant to what's real. Don't underestimate the power of prayer.
- Shannon
Marijuana as cure?

I had this feeling about once a week or once a month, for maybe 5-10 minutes each "attack".
This happened alot when i was younger. I believe that my first experience with it was when i was about 10 years of age (atleast what i remember). Every sound becomes extremely intense, music and songs that i knew as calm and harmonic became violent and screamy, reality didnt seem to fit with my perception of it.
Always happened when i was alone with silence or listening to music. I have no memory of it happening with other/lots of people in my surrounding.

For the last 4 years I have been regulary smoking marijuana and have not felt it a single time. I even forgot that it ever happened to me! Just recently i've quit smoking, been clean for about 2 weeks since it has become kind of a bad habbit. And just today i felt it again, not as intense as it was when i was younger, but i was immediately reminded of this unpleasant feeling.
It seems completely obvious to me that smoking marijuana kept this feeling  away.

I just thought I should share this, also keep in mind that this might be completely individual for me but maybe it could be something to try out... I'm going to stay off the weed for a while and i must say i'm excited to see if this feelings start coming back regularly. I will try to keep this thread informed of my progress. If i never write here again, the feeling has most likely not come back!
  It seems the common denominators are being alone and concentrating on something when it happens. Intensified sensory input (especially hearing) and a change in time/motion perception, which intensify with duration are the symptoms. Distraction seems to stop it. A fever/sickness or intense dreams as a child triggers or preludes the first episode. The episodes are more frequent in childhood/teen years and the least frequent in later years with sometimes 5-10 years between episodes after the age of 30 or so, but they still occur even into the 50's. Now throw in ideas about 'superpowers' - different dimensions - vibrating at a different frequency - tumors or just plain crazy (I'm surprised no one has mentioned aliens) and it becomes even weirder. I had my first when about 8 years old after an intense dream about silver rods going through what resembled a brown shrunken brain-like object. In the dream, the silver rods were trying to tell me something or showing me what was happening to me. I can still remember the dream to this day. I had my first episode in about 6 years the other day. I have the same symptoms as most except for the voices that are not my own. I am 58 now and I have never told anyone about this until today. They suggested Google (of course) and I found this. I am so completely blown away from the sheer numbers of posts on this and nobody knows what this is exactly. Is it because we never told anyone? At any rate, now I know there are a lot of us out there and that, weirdly enough, makes me happy.  
Also...I wouldn't worry about any kind of damage from these. I have had hundreds of them with no ill effect other than they become a nuisance after a while. At times, I would let them go and see what happens. They usually intensify and then fade away slowly. I enjoy the heightened senses sometimes, but usually, probably by some self preservation instinct, I try and stop them. I find that moving suddenly and shifting my eyes does the trick, although sometimes during intense ones I have to repeat this several times.

Now that I know I am not alone in this and there are apparently a lot of us, I would be interested to know if there are other commonalities between us like physical traits, ancestry, geographical area, health, immunizations, etc.  
Sounds exactly like what I had sometimes everything seems very fast and loud I asked my doctor and turns out she had been looking into it for another patient. Anyway long story short I was diagnosed with "Alice in wonderland syndrome" search it in google it will help :).
I've had these since as long as I can remember, I usually get them when I cannot sleep, and when I am ill. I can hear this really loud noise like a plane and I see sort of like a bullet and a blue jacket in a sort of dream/day-dream. When I walk around everything seems so big and when I talk I sound really enthusiastic. Everything sounds so loud, even if I tap something it has the same impact in my mind of a bomb going off.
I find it interesting that none of us really said anything to anyone about these... I started talking about it lately to everyone, but I can't really understand why I didn't when I was little. Same symptoms, fast, loud, enthusiastic thoughts, my movements felt really deliberate and slow, and everyone else seemed to talk fast but move slowly. The most obvious feature was the sheer panic of it though. The panic is the same feeling as an anxiety attack, but anxiety attacks don't have the other symptoms - they are definitely two distinctly different kinds of "episodes".

I used to get it in dreams when I was 5 or 6, and I would be in a white space full of tiny lights (like atoms or something) and I felt the presence of a giant head and voices but couldn't really see them. I could never remember what they said, I just remember that it was that exact same feeling.

I went to see a doctor a year ago about dizzy spells, anxiety attacks and depression, and asked her about these things too. She called them "funny turns" (Haha, I felt like a complete fool) and said the only way to see what was going on was to have an episode while inside an MRI scanner...

I noticed that changes in sounds in the environment would often bring it on for me, like listening to a song that is playing slightly slower than usual (I had a tape deck in my car which would play tapes slow when it was cold). Or just then, it nearly happened when I went from looking at my Ipad to my Iphone - the change in size of the keypad brought that feeling on.

I am 28 now, and haven't had one of these since I was about 21 - but I have tons of intermittent flashes of them, and normal anxiety attacks from time to time. I've had brain scans (for these dizzy spells I was getting) which all came up normal, and they mentioned that it could be frontal lobe epilepsy but not likely.

I've looked into Alice in Wonderland syndrome (AIWS), and it doesn't exactly fit with what I am talking about. My dad and my friend have described that exact thing to me, that doorknobs felt further away then they are, or the room seems to be tipping or falling away, but my experiences are a lot more immediate to my thoughts, visual perception of moving things, and the way I hear things. AIWS sounds more like altered perception of environment. Or maybe they are just two variations of the same thing. My dad never felt the panic, but my friend definitely does.

I am white (Scottish, Irish, American), female, born and raised at high altitude, Scorpio (haha I noticed that listed above, thought it wouldn't hurt to mention), normal immunizations for an American raised in the 90's. I would have had the first episode before I started school, and I remember getting all my Hep-B, Tetanus etc. shots when I was in school.

I was just thinking I could start a little blog site for this thing, maybe we could build a little community in addition to this thread? If anyone is interested, put a comment up or send me a message and I'll check back soon.

Sorry for the long post; I'm really happy there are other people out there who get the same thing!
I have been having similar problems. I'm now 16 and have been experiencing these problems since I was about 6/7 everything would move scarily fast, and people who tried to talk to me would just sound like a mumble, but I don't know if it's to do with stress, as my brother suffers from this too.
So this is gonna sound odd but this is happening to me as well but as of the latest episode I want to learn how to induce these. Let me explain. See when I was a kid and this started I was scared as hell, I'd cry and cover my ears till it was over and it happened frequently when I was young then it slowed when I got into my teens but I got saved a little over a year ago and haven't had a single episode till yesterday and I have never had a more amazing expierance in my life. My initial reaction was to be scared. but then I prayed and it became amazing. just everything bout it. everything being loud heightened senses time distortion. Without having fear due to God it was amazing. so I'm trying to figure out what causes these episofes, I was just laying in bed doing nothing when it happened. so Idk if you are allowed to post an email here but I'm going to and please and tell me what happens right before when such episodes happen to you and also  f and when I figure out how they are caused I can figure out how to stop them as well as start them so I can help you out as well. Just read the note, so please contact me somebody so I can figure out what this is and I can learn to induce these, and try to help you stop them because I do have psychology background so I can give it my best shot. I'm not a doctor so I'm not gonna say take this medication or anything crazy just simple self help stuff like speaking to yourselves using specific wording to speak to your subconscious to make it stop. Once I know what causes them of course.
this part may be a bit different from ther people but before I was saved and this would happen I wouldn't feel any different just hear differently and the time distortion, but this last time my entire body started to get this incredibly warm feeling and I started to tremble a bit and I felt like I left my body for just a second and i know I didn't but it was amazing. Before I would dread these but after being saved that was the single most amazing event I would have to say spiritually I have other felt. I've never felt closer to God than during that. And it also used to last a minute or two but it lasted far longer and to be honest I felt like the rapture was happening, sounds crazy I know but just want to help illustrate how amazing it felt. Normally during these events all I would due is cry or just tremble in fear to it stop. But I just kept saying things like blessed be the name of God almighty and stuff like that over and over again in my head and normally the loud thoughts scared me but this time it was exhilarating.
So I'm actually having one right now and I feel like I'm typing VERY fast and I know I'm only typing at a normal rate. I'm sorry if there are any spelling mistakes bc I usually go back an fix them but right now my brain is speeding up. I turned thirteen a few weeks ago and I've been having them more frequently. I forget when they started, maybe when I was six to nine (I don't remember what age I was when a lot of major evenets happened). One period I had them almost every day. Oh wait yes I remember they started in second grade. When I was taking a test or doing a worksheet in a quiet room, my mind started speeding up. I started almost hyperventilating and everything people did sped up,even though they weren't. My actions and thoughts sped up too and I couldn't get them to slow down unless I started talking. I'm never nervous for tests, and I also never study bc it doesn't help me at all (when I do, I get horrible grades). So it's not like I as nervous for tests. I really thought I was the only one that had this problem, and I've never told anyone about them. (whew my mind's starting to slow down yay) Anyway, I've been having them A LOT lately. Yesterday I had a really bad one and it lasted for my whole 70 minute class. The one I had just a few minutes ago only lasted for five minutes, but I WAS working on a project and sitting on my bed. No cars were going by and it was almost completely silent. I don't think this thing has to do with going crazy over silence, like that really silent room people can apparently go crazy in. I'm pretty sure none of my family gets it. I haven't read the whole thread, but I don't experience things getting larger, only smaller. Anybody been officially diagnosed?
It basically sounds like the same thing im going thru but a little different. Im 24 now an been having it happend to me since i can remember. It would rarely happen but the past week now its been happening almost every day, somtimes multiple times a day, plus a new thing has been happening! Its really worrying me.  IT starts with everything around me getting loud and the voice in my head sounds like its yelling at me. Then every noice and the voice gets really blockish sounding. Even when i talk out loud my own voice sound robotic, mono tone and blockish!

IS this happening to anyone else? does anyone know what this means? Please help, thank you.
Im having one right now. I never thought anyone would know this feeling. I haven't had on in over 2 years. Its terrible. I hate that i cant forget the feeling.  I don't know whats scarier...the fact it may continue the rest of my life or that i'm not the only one.
I couldn't describe it any better. I'm dealing with it right now. I'm going to do some research to see if theres any official diagnosis.
It happened to me when I was a kid. During the last week I've felt the beginning of it every night and i knew it was the exact same feeling i had when i was a kid. Having not had the experience of it in years I almost wanted to let it happen so I could relive it again and unlike when i was younger , have the words to describe it. Then last night as soon as I lied down in bed it happened, really fast and i felt the fear again that comes with it. Strangely, even when i was a kid, it only ever happened when i was in this old house where i'm staying now. It's really quiet here, so that must be it. But a few months ago my older brother went psychotic here and started talking about demons and stuff like that. Last night when it happened I started (apart from feeling bad myself) sensing negativity in the room, and started having all these stupid thoughts about spirits etc that, frankly, don't really go with my personality. Then this morning i was chatting to my mother on Facebook and I realised that I'm sleeping in the same room my brother was staying in when he went psychotic. I'm not superstitious, I just want answers really, cause it's ******* with my head.
Wow. I'm astounded that this forum even exists. I used to have these episodes, or whatever you call them, when I was very young. I tried to talk to my dad about how everything sounded and I felt like I was crazy. He had no idea what to do. When I'm in a silent situation (it happened about 5 minutes ago while I was taking a bath) I focus on the slightest sounds and then I'm focused on everything. I recall past event in my life and even in those the sounds recur. Soon enough, everything sounds as if it's yelling in my ears. Once I start to notice the episode, it gets more severe. I googled "Everything sounds loud and weird" and I found this. Thank god there are others. It's likely that it's a rare psychological condition, given that although there are plenty of comments by people who go through what I do, no-one knows what it is! It troubles me that there's no answer to my question of "what the hell is wrong with me?" but it's immensely comforting to know there are others who go through what I do. Thank you all for sharing your stories. The way I just escaped my episode was talking out loud, to myself, and trying my hardest to have a normal inflection on my speech, because it seems that the condition tends to alter how we interpret speech inflection and makes conversation impossible. I'm eighteen years old, just as a detail. Perhaps these symptoms will subside as I age. If anyone finds out what the hell this is, please let me know.
I just did research and I believe these are symptoms of something called AIWS, or Alice in Wonderland Syndrome! Thank god, I think this is correct. I get migraines and have been diagnosed with them and this is an associated symptom. Check it out.
I experienced this when I was a kid, especially when taking tests or when in complete silence in bed. As I've gotten older, it happens less. When it happens if catches me by surprise. All of the sudden, all noises and actions seem faster or more aggressive. Even my thoughts feel louder and more amplified, almost like my thoughts are yelling at me. For some reason, while this is happening, I have these thoughts of the immense weight and density of things around me, even if they were small. I don't know why and exactly how to explain it, because it really doesn't make any sense. I do not experience any visual changes, but I do feel like I am in a bubble of my own thoughts, almost disconnected. It happens to me very rarely now, but when it happens, I immediately recognize it. The only thing that bothers me is not knowing what it is, and it tends to be quite a distraction, especially when taking tests. It's like I'm focusing on the math problem I'm doing, while thinking "MY BREATHING SOUNDS REALLY LOUD!! I'M NOT ANGRY BUT EVERYTHING I'M DOING FEELS SO AGGRESSIVE!". I would really like to know what this, what is going on in my brain while it's happening, and how it's triggered, but so far when I've tried to explain it, all I've gotten is really blanks stares, some laughs, or the occasional "Man I guess you're just in the zone"... Good luck to my fellow zoners though, maybe one day we'll figure out what this thing is, HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!!
I start to have these 'episodes' before I even started school. It was when my sister took me to her class, when I was 3 I think. And everything just advanced to a faster and louder pace. I was really scared and 'started crying' my sister told me. And every couple of months I get these episodes. The last one was in April, last month, in the early morning, sometime around 4. We were getting ready to go to the airport. It lasted till we were on the road for about 10 minutes. I found that music ended it quicker.

Another attack I've had was when I was still in primary, and I was in a different bedroom. I woke up in the night and everything was quiet, but loud. And I started seeing things differently and when I touched them a blast of sound came from the tap that would of been silent for anyone else. I ran out of the room, and started crying in the kitchen, I didn't want to talk to my mum about this.

It is really scary and would be my fear. I am really glad there are other people that have the same things happening to them.
OK, first off it's not AIWS. There are a few huge differences between what this is and AIWS. I think some of you may have AIWS, but the vast majority (except for the trolls) of the posts on here are something quite different. There are some really good explanations of what happens and if you have these, you immediately identify with the poster. I find this pretty amazing.

Now...if you eliminate the AIWS, epilepsy, migraines, trolls (what is wrong with you, anyway?) There are several hundred posts on here that are in all likelihood, legitimate.

So, what now?  Just keep posting until somebody sends this to a Neurologist? Wait for MedHelp to do something?  Do nothing and hope it goes away? I have had these for nearly 50 years, so, as far as I know, they don't go away, just less and less usually. I don't care if they do go away, I still want to know what this is...don't you?

Anybody?
I am 14 and i have had these since i was about 9 years old. I was laying in bed I could start to hear my fan get louder and louder. I stood out of my bed to make sure i wasnt in a dream, and when i stood, every thing got so intense i fell back on to my bed and layed holding my legs untill i fell asleep. the following morning i tried to explain to my mother what had happened, but i dont think she really cared much.i had them about 3 times a week untill i was 12, when they subsided to maybe 1-2 a month. now i have them only maybe 3-4 times a year, but earlier tonight ihad one so intense i couldnt move without felling like i was being yelled at by a guy with a megaphone that was in my head, wich lasted for a full 15-20 min and i was scared ********, so i decided to look up the issue and i was suprised to see how many people share the same problem
Hi Visions of Henry. This has started happening to my ten year old son in the past month or so. I found this forum a couple of weeks ago and have been following it. I haven't mentioned it to my wife yet as we are awaiting an appointment with a pediatrician. I will decide then whether or not to mention the forum to the pediatrician and my wife. My son handles it very well for a 10 year old and thank goodness is no longer frightened by it. I am !
I am worried that it will handicap him as he gets older - perhaps effect his education? You say you have had this condition for 50 years. How have you managed?  What can/should we do to try to discover what it is all about?
Harry
Hi Ellesy
Did you get your blog idea off the ground?
Harry
Am so glad I have found this!! For the last 40 minutes I have been experiencing similar synptoms to the above although it seems to be going away now thankfully!! Its like time just stopped and everything immediately went silent, but then I became incredibly aware of how quiet everything is, my thoughts were racing, my heart beating fast, I could literally feel everything around me and at the moment, literally everyting hurts. My ears are still ringing. But initally it felt like I was drunk, I was just noticing things way too much. Anyway am glad I found this forum!
I remember my first 'episode' was in year 3 during a maths test and i remember the sound of the pencil was very weird and strange but i didnt really think much of it as at the time the only sound in the class was the pencils, and i didnt hear any voices or movement at the time, so i thought it was just the sound of the pencil :/ , but i remember my mum telling me i was just tired, but then they started getting more frequent- maybe 1 every couple of months- it used to happen and still does ( sometimes i can have 2 in a month or even a week but then i wont have another one for a few months or even a year- i think ive had 1 or 2 this year but earlier it felt like one was coming on but never happened)  it sometimes happened when i woke up and went straight on my laptop or ipad or when i am tired and go in a comouter, or when im just lying there in silence and then i would start feeling it coming on and there would be nothing i could do, so i just sat there waiting for it to hit me and then suddenly it was there, everything feels like its over exaggerated, it feels as if i can 'hear the silence' in the room, its quite eerie and scary i dint like it, but everything feels like its been slowed down and sped up at the same time and every thing sounds very crisp and clear, my thoughts also sound very fast and when i move or talk it feels like im being really over the top but when i ask other people if i sound weird they say no, it also lasts from around 2-10 mins but it feels like forever and i do everything to stop it. It so hard to explain and my dad and sister have said before that they've experienced similar things- the alice in wonderland symptom could be a possibility but i dont see things weirdly or differently- i just sound, hear and feel things different? i wish someone could tell me whats wrong i might go see a doctor but i wouldnt know how to explain it without sounding crazy haha
It happens to me all the time, and that is actually the main thing that happens
Actually, I just went onto another site and someone on there suggested hypothyroid. I do have hypothyroid so I guess that could be the cause, but I doubt it bc I have been having these episodes since I was 7 and I only started having symptoms of hypothyroidism at 11 and was diagnosed with it last year at 12. So that could potentially be a cause in some people, but idk.
I have had these things happen to me too. I don't believe that I have had one since I was a teenager though. I remember hearing the Pink Floyd song where he says 'when I was a child I had a fever. My hands felt like two balloons'. I remember having a similar sensation at the start of the episode. I could also at times feel like I was really heavy and pressing into the bed. Sounds would speed up and take on a higher pitch, just like they would if you sped up a recording. It was always a weird experience, but I sometimes would try to keep it going for explorations sake, but it got too intense and I would do anything to get out of it. I imagine that there are some so called 'crazy' people out there who just can't 'get out'.
I love the Pink Floyd reference! That song always makes me think about these episodes. I wonder if Roger Waters experiences the same thing we do.
Maybe a high fever is the cause. But what did it do to cause this? It's not like we all just get dizzy or have a headache or something a little more common along that line, we actually feel like we slipped out of reality for a few minutes, a space between the lines of sanity and insanity, a space where time slows down, noises are intense, loud vibrations, our senses are acute to the point where we start to panic and try and make it stop.
Is this condition a glimpse into another plane of existence where we don't belong or is it just a perception our brain creates from not being able to control the reality around us as usual? Does that even make any sense? I don't want to seem crazy here, but until someone can tell me exactly what this is and what caused it, I am pretty much open to anybody's explanations or theories.
I can't even explain how amazing it felt to find this forum and realize that there are other people out there who are experiencing this!

I too have been experiencing these "episodes" since I was a small child.  The worst I remember was when I had a terrible flu, under the age of 10.  I remember I was sleeping on the pull-out couch in the living room on the main floor, my dad was concerned about me getting my twin sister sick so he didn't want us sleeping in the same room.  

The "episode" seemed to last for hours (unlike usual, where it comes on suddenly and ends suddenly within minutes).  I heard my thoughts, angry and gibbering in my head, but at the time I didn't know that they were my own.  The room seemed to be in constant movement, the ceiling rising far above me and then sinking back down until I felt that it would crush me.  Everything seemed to me to be moving too fast and too slow at the same time.  When I picked up a can of ginger ale to take a sip, the can seemed to grow so large in my hand that I could hardly hold it, and then shrink so small that I would lose it if I dropped it.  I would drift in and out of sleep, but when I did sleep I had odd, frightening dreams.  I remember running through a blackness that seemed to swell and recede, and I was surrounded by churning, multicolored cogs which would grow to be the height of skyscrapers and then shrink down to the size of spare change.

I have had many episodes since, still ongoing (I am 25).  I had them quite frequently when I was a child, and then they slowed down considerably in the beginning of my adulthood.  However, I have had this experience multiple times within the past two weeks, which is what triggered me to search on Google.  

I work from home (this started in February of this year) so I spend large amounts of time each day sitting at a computer desk in front of two large monitors, usually in complete silence.  The only sounds generally are of construction vehicles buzzing nearby my apartment complex.  It is often, in this state, when focusing quite hard on a spreadsheet full of numbers or reviewing a detailed document that I find these episodes being triggered now.  This, I guess, explains to me why they have suddenly become so frequent.

There are other experiences which I did not immediately relate to my "episodes".  Most often it would happen during grade school while I was sitting in my desk and a teacher was at the front of the class, talking for an extended period of time.  Suddenly my perception of the room would change considerably.  The chalkboard would seem to zoom toward me, while the teacher zoomed away.  Or the teacher would seem to zoom suddenly toward me, and the rest of the room would zoom away and out of focus.  This has also happened during large assemblies or work announcements (such as a quarterly financial update).  It was not until I heard about Alice in Wonderland Syndrome and began reading into it that I realized that these experiences are also part of the same thing!

I guess the one consolation for me is that my twin sister has also always had these experiences, similar to mine and usually triggered in similar ways.  Because of this I always had someone to talk to about it, or to call when an experience suddenly comes on.  I never felt that I was going crazy, and I learned to rationalize myself away from the fear I felt as a child because of this.
I posted twice a long time ago on the first page of this forum, at the time I said that a consultant neurologist I knew had said despite some things not matching it is most likely still a variant of Alice In Wonderland syndrome due to a acephalic migraine (migraine without the headache part). He said however that in theory simple partial seizures could cause a similar phenomenon.

Now that I have researched AIWS in medical school, the things that I and most of the other people here have described definitely sounds like an auditory variant of AIWS, and many people have described the typical visual symptoms also.

Little data on AIWS is available because most people do not approach health care professionals for fear of seeming mentally ill, therefore I would encourage people on here to talk to their GP about it. They will not be judgemental and even if there is not a treatment specifically for auras, increasing awareness of this syndrome will enable medicine to progress in management and treatment.

The other important reason to talk to your GP is of course that this is a syndrome of symptoms, so can be caused by many things, some of which can be harmful. The GP would assess your personal factors such as age and history and decide if you need further investigation or not.
I have it sometimes where time just speeds up, even though I know it's still the same. Them sometimes, sound seems to slow down, while time speeds up, I'm 14. I've been having this ever since I was around 6-8. It's a HARD feeling to explain in words. It feels like your whole world you ever new and loved just broke in half.
Does anyone know of a medical explanation for these experiences?
omg! this night i woke up and everything went extremely fast, so i stood up and walked to my dads bedroom to tell him, when i was walking i tried to go slow but it just felt like i was going really really fast, even though i wasn't. As soon as i started to speak to my dad it just went away... it was so freaking scary! i remember it happening before, when i was around 7 i think (i'm 15 now) where i also felt like every thing was loud but i didn't tonight? i would love to know what this is!
HAS ANYBODY FOUND OUT WHAT THIS IS AND MORE IMPORTANTLY IS IT HARMFUL!?! PLEASE REPLY IF YOU KNOW.
Wow, what you just described totally happens to me too.  At least the part with the hearing arguments and people yelling angrily in my head.  It started when I was younger as well, and it had been happening less and less until the past week.  The part about the pain is very interesting; in many spiritualities, the space between/above your eyes is known as the "third eye."  The third eye is believed to see beyond the physical world and be more spiritually and mentally aware.  
It's funny that you suggest meditation; I have been studying yoga for a few years, and just these past few months I have been studying meditation more in-depth.  Coincidentally, these past few months have brought more "speed rushes" that I haven't experienced in at least 7-8 years.  I personally don't see them as such a bad thing.  I feel as though I am becoming more spiritually open and aware, just like I was when I was younger, and unlike I was in my teenage years.  
I am almost crying due to happiness after reading this. I have this as well and like many others the first time I remember it happening was when I was about 10 and I was very sick and had a fever. I'm now 21 and over the past few months I've had it a few times and I'd completely forgotten about it until it happened again. It just happened then so I decided to finally google it. Google is my new best friend. I had just finished watching a movie and the room was silent apart from the sound of my fan and then it happened. I try not to let it scare me but it's hard when I try and think "everything is fine just chill out" but instead I'm hearing "EVERYTHING IS FINE JUST CHILL OUT!!!!" I don't think it's anything harmful and if anything it's quite fascinating that so many people have it too! I hope someone gives us some kind of explanation eventually because I am super interested to know what's going on.
I'm so glad that I found this. I experienced the same thing for the first time yesterday. I suddenly woke up from a nap and right when I went outside I felt as if everything around me was moving faster than usual and louder, I felt that as if people were screaming at me. After I walked around for a while and got to a different location I finally started to calm down but my heart was still beating really fast. I'm only 15 years old and its scary to know what happened.
hyperacusis and/or alice in wonderland syndrome
Haha, finally, i found others also got this problem. Dem, my childhood is destroy. :p
When i was kid, i imagine maybe i have special power. When this occur, everything become awesome. It like i can focus more into something, and like i can zoom thing closer or far away. But hearing become, slower. I can hear everything without miss single things. Usually, we hear disturb by another noise, but when enter this mode, our hearing was like enhance.
When i was kid, i always get dream, same dream, over and over. What i hear in that dream is what i hear when this event occurs. And the sound become loud and louder until i wake up from my sleep. as a kid, i also scare, but when know it was just dream, i just ignore it. (not all night got that dream).
I dont know how long it was until this happen again, on me, now. Like 20minutes or more (the longest i think). I just amazed, wow, how long i forgot this feeling. It just so cool. It remind me, when i read a book, and this happen, it feel like i scanning whole word in book. Focusing on single word, but able to read without problem, how awesome it is. That why i think maybe i got hidden super power. As a kid. :p
Sorry about grammar, not fluent in english, but want share this awesome experience. Good to know, it was not only me, dem..now i can forget my ambition to become super heroes. Haha :v
I'm 30 now, and after lots of testing I was diagnosed with a mild form of epilepsy that caused micropsia and macropsia when I was about 14. It was also accompanied by sensations of time moving too fast or slow and my body and arms being too heavy or light. Sometimes while sleeping I would consciously hallucinate/dream things like the room shattering apart like glass or things flying around my head. Some were pure hell, extremely uncomfortable, would have rather died than continue to experience it even though in reality it probably only lasted a few to 30 minutes at a time. It almost never happens now, unless over stressed and exhausted, but has never truly disappeared. I can still remember scenarios of this from when I was about 5 years old. I was too heavily medicated when first diagnosed and put on neurontin and tegretol, it helped, but thinking back to those years is a fog that I don't remember very well and made me struggle to stay awake in school. So be wary of medicating too much. Good luck to those suffering, I truly sympathize for you.  
I just decided to check this out because I was in the middle of one of these episodes and thought there had to be a reason behind it. I keep feeling as though things are normal and suddenly reading and speaking and dinging become much faster in my head. Even when I walk it feels as though I'm moving faster than I actually am. I've also experienced this since I was 7 or 8 and hey just don't seem to be going away. If I go outside it feels as though every sound has been enhanced and I can hear too many things at once.
Every sense seems to sharpen it's interesting but weird and I'm not sure what to think of it in all honesty.
Hi,Same here.
hey, have you figured out what it is or why it happens yet? iv had this happen to me 100's of times since i was a little kid and still have no clue why, just like everyone on here i thought i was a little crazy, in fact when i was younger my parents thought that it was an allergic to something but then realized that it was happening when i wasn't doing anything out of the normal, if you know anything that would help that would be great thank you so much

PS. Steven
My 14 year old son has just mentioned this to me last night that he has been getting these fast/slow episodes since he was around 7/8 years old.  I'm astounded at how many other people are getting these.  My son was also born with a heart problem that doesn't directly effect him that I know of....does anyone else also have heart issues that this could stem from?  Has anyone seen any specialists for this or have any answers yet?

Thanks,
Chanel, Australia
I must reply to all you wonderful people.  I have had all of these symptoms that the majority of every single commenters I have read through have had.  The pink floyd reference further up was something my sister joked about when we were younger.  I too was told by parents that I have a fever even though I explained this is not a fever feeling.

I get these 'episodes' not very much maybe 5 or 6 times a year and from being a 10 year old boy to now being 28 years old it still scares me and people close to me still think I am weird.

My symptoms are:

* Everything seems sped up around me and my movements, yet I know in my head nothing has sped up it just feels this way. (hard to explain).  But when thinking about this more its more as if things are slow but fast at the same time.  If you have this you will know this was my best explanation.

* Touching of things and as an example typing on a keyboard sounds very loud and heightened. Head feels heavy maybe?

* Voices in my head - I think this is when family thinks I'm losing the plot!!  Its like loud noises and a constant ringing sound in my ears as if I'm not alone in the room. Also these loud noises and voices seem to be of an anger nature.  Once again this is hard to explain.

Concentrating or reading something seem to be the main cause.  Kind of zoning out of everything else and concentrating on one thing that interests you.  I am not sure what caused this as a child but from what I have been told it was when I had a temperature, but then again this could have been parents assuming this as trying to describe these symptoms as a child always sounds like a fever when we all know this is not the case.

I love the fact I happened to come across this forum whilst typing in random symptoms that were happening to me into google at the time and now I can prove to everyone who knows I have these 'episodes' that I am not alone and there are a bunch of other weirdos like myself out there! :)  I still wish there was someone out there with an explanation though as this 'Alice in Wonderland' syndrome people have mentioned, yes there are symptoms that are similar to that but I think we all know (or majority of us know) that we have our very own unique syndrome that we all want to be explained.

Maybe we are patching in to the other side and are weak clairvoyants :P

Anyone who ever wants to chat about this please feel free to email me: barrygraham[AT]live[DOT].com  I have put the @ and . like that so this forum does not remove my email as I noticed others had emails removed automatically.  Seriously contact me, we all need to discuss this in more detail somewhere.
i am 15 an have had this my holelife my parents think im faking it or is a panic attak but i knoe for sure its not i hate it and litterally am going threw it know this minuite it lasts for a couple of hours a hole day sometimes im just glad to know im not the only one suffering but i would still like to know wat is behind this
im 15 and have the same episode every 3 mounths ad have had them for aslong as i remember and no one takes me seriously when i tell them not even my family
hey i have exact same thing everyone thinks im crazy and my episodes last for like 2 hours sometimes all day do u know the cause of this as i feel like i need to know i have had them all my life and im 16 soon i dont want to go threw this any longer i think i have sufferd long enough
Viewing 401-514 comments: