Neurology Community
Surroundings becoming weird and fast/intense/loud

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viewing 401-469 comments:
WildFan16 these are the exact same episodes I am going through. I started noticing them in about 2nd grade while taking math tests or sometimes when waking up on weekends and being in a house devoid of all noise(in this instance usually something like focusing on a television or talking out loud would usually end the episode). there are other instances of this happening throughout my childhood and they have been getting less and less scarce as I've been getting older. however, I just turned 20 years old last month and here I am in a house with no sound and no matter what I do I can't make this feeling go away. I didn't recognize it at first but I just recalled that this used to happen to me often as a kid and I want an answer. I have been told that it could be a mild form of epilepsy but was never diagnosed by a professional for fear of getting a special condition added to my record and prevent me from obtaining certain jobs or put me in a predicament if I ever had to go to court for a driving related incident. I don't want to go on any longer without know what this is. I want to know.

it is comforting to know that other people are experiencing this though and there may be an explanation somewhere.
It's comforting to see so many people that experience this.

I've been having these "episodes" since I was about 7/8 and they still frighten me now at the age of 26.
Mine start where I can hear past arguments and people shouting in my head before noises in the room get increasingly louder and everything gets faster around me. Although I have also had experiences of everything going very slowly as well.... With the surroundings changing I also can sense everything around me growing and myself shrinking but it's almost like an out of body experience...... Usually when the episodes pass I'm left with a sharp pain in the front of my head above my eye this only usually lasts a few minutes or so
Sounds similar to what I have had a few times... almost always while relaxed in bed.  A rushing noise getting louder and louder, my heart rate accelerating to an impossible rate, the surroundings changing shape and speed.

It started again last night and I was too afraid to let it take me... so I woke my wife and made her talk me down... I could feel it coming and trying to edge its way in... but eventually it subsided.

Scary thing is that as it is beginning, I start remembering the other times it happened and begin to know what is happening to me... but after the experience, all memories are lost.  Sometimes I can remember fractures of a moment, such as leaning to grasp something physical and my hand always passing through it.

Weirdest part is that when I think about it too much, I can feel it begin to try and take me.

Only things anyone ever told me was that these were Out of Body Experiences... or that I was experiencing a hint of what lies beyond death.

Any way you look at it... it is freaky, scary and fascinating all at the same time.
I noticed it when i was young. i actually thought it was cool i felt like i had supernatural powers because all my senses were heightened. Im now 16 and in highschool and i've been having these occurences every couple months. The last one i had lasted a couple minutes but it felt like hours. Im just glad i found this web page. i thought i was the only one. My mom thinks im crazy whenever i try to describe the feeling.
I can't describe how thankful I am to how found this forum. I've had these episodes since I was in elementary school. They used to terrify me. Now I have them less often, and they're not so scary, but absolutely a nuisance. The way the sounds get louder and louder until the world seems to vibrate and there's always a high pitch ringing along with it. Ugh!! And the accelerated speed of all the noise is so frustrating. Even when I read a book in my head slowly it sounds exponentially fast. I've kept these "episodes" secret from everybody my whole life for fear of being thought of as crazy,(although I honesty thought I was when it came to this) that's this forum was so much for than a relief to me in knowing that I'm not alone.

Thank you everyone !!! We'll suffer together :/
Similar experience for me as a child.  It was terrifying to me, and I would cry.  Only way I can explain it is that I was 'seeing far away' and nobody in my family understood it, and on one occasion an aunt told me I was just looking for attention.

These episodes started when I was very small, maybe 4 or 5.  It would happen several times a year.  Everything looked small and far away, but noises would be very loud.  Even rubbing my hand across a blanket would be so loud.  My sisters would try to help me, and they would hug me and rub my back, but their hand rubbing on the back of my shirt would be so loud.  It was awful and every time it happened I was terrified.

I have not had this happen to me for decades. I am 50 now, and the last time it happened I was about 22 or 23.  That last time it happened, I was just as terrified as I would be as a child.  It was the weirdest thing, and nobody in my family understands it.  So glad that I found this post - all of the comments are blowing my mind.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Omg no way the same thing is happening to me right now i feel like theres something in my ear idk everything is so ******* loud and fast my fans on rn and its like screaming in my ear, it used to happen alot when i was little and then it stopped but lately its been happening again, its so hard to descirbe im so happy im not the only one this happens to ahahah.
I always have this feeling when i am lying in bed unable to sleep, I picture thousands of different people who I can not recognize yelling and screaming at me I don't know the reason. I also picture many different events moving in extreme fast motion, I don't even know what the events are. Sometimes its very frightening. And I want to know what the hell is going on.    
has anyone found what this symptom is called im having it as im writing this letter and i have had them since i was around 6 , one thing is i also have had 3 seasures in my life. im currently in the military and it seems to be happening more frequently. hoping you guys maybe had some advice on how to deal with it or what to tell my doc. i also noticed that this comes in different phases like hearing then sight then feel usually fell is first for me and hearing is a constant through but gets super intense to the point as to where the clicking of my keyboard sounds like im pounding in it and im just typing normally
This also happens to me. It just happened a few minutes ago. I'm nearing towards the end of this "attack." I don't know about the whole silence theory though. Last time before just now while I was cleaning my room. I was outside cleaning up leaves with the leaf blower listening to music with headphones fairly loud and also using loud outdoor equipment. But I have experience these "attacks" now for as long as I can remember. I am 20 now. I always just assumed it was an anxiety attack. But from what I've experienced and from what I have read about anxiety attacks they don't add up. The feeling will come over me randomly whenever no matter the time of day or circumstances. Everything just seems way more intense and extreme than it actually is. I don't know about time wise though because I feel as if I lose perception of time but none has ever lasted more than 30-45 minutes. But now that I think about it it does seem to me that these seem to happen only when I'm alone with no other interaction with others. But the sound frequency doesn't seem to matter. I dunno I will continue my journey what's going on with me. Hope this helps.
I had a very similar experience yesterday and haven't had it for a long while. Normally when I am concentrating and leaning forward for a long period of time. Doing the crossword, reading the paper etc. I've had it for as long as I can remember although it's been less frequent in recent years. I am now 31.

When it happens if I don't sit up and walk around for a bit before it hits it lasts a lot longer. The sensation is that everything every thought is hyper fast and hyper loud. Like time has been sped up. I have searched in the past and never quite found any explanation for it. Good to hear other out there know what it's like.

Normally for me a shower and standing up straight and distracting myself makes it go away. It never seems to last that long. When I was in high school and was reading books for long periods at a desk I would get it quite often.
I can't believe how many other people, besides me, have had this happen to them!! I've just had one now, I'm lying in bed, with a headache, trying to sleep. I've experienced these for a while now for years. I've only just googled it now, and would really like to know what it is.
My experience seems similar to BeardTechnology. I have what I call speed rushes. I've had them since I was a kid. I am 38. They happen most commonly when I am tired and concentrating, e.g., reading in bed, studying etc. I also get them when I have a fever. It's dominated by a feeling of being in an environment that is moving very fast, although I know it is not. The episodes are usually easy to stop, but not always. They require me to stop concentrating or find a distraction. I probably get three episodes a year on average. After all these years I've come to expect a certain range of  intensity. This pattern was blown out of the water last night. I was recovering from a stomach flu and I had an extremely bad episode that was unbelievably intense and out of control.
This happens to me really frequent now as well and when I try to describe it to family member they don't seem to understand I really wish I knew what was going on is it something really bad? I know it's def not normal
I had this when I was a child, I am now 23 and still experience this occasionally. After doing some research I found it is called Alice In Wonderland Syndrome. Follow this link to watch a video about AIWS.

http://youtu.be/Ph7fh7dTU5k

After watching this I thought to myself that is exactly it. This syndrome distorts your perception of time, sight, sound, and touch. Making you and your surroundings seem to be going faster, and objects look as if they are larger or smaller, causing sounds to seem louder, and everything you touch doesn't feel like it should.    
Thank god it's not just me! My first experience was when I was about 10 and I had a fever. The noise somehow got into my dreams and the intense white noise I heard turned into the sound of a man quietly screaming into my ear. I'm now 16 and still afraid of the noise. My best tip for anyone experiencing this kind of thing is to try to keep a catchy tune in your head at all times, especially when you're sleeping! Also, try sleeping on your side, it's helped refrain my attacks for the past 6 years. Perhaps its something to do with the crystals in your ear...
I had it a lot when I was young 10 years old and up, I was diagnosed with simple partial seizures, I had extra electrical (paroxysmal) activity in the brain. As I got older it stopped, I am 51 years old now and I had an event about a week ago, I also have had ringing in my ears since I was about 10 years old, and see auras around people, Whatever it is I am still around, its just an altered perception of consciousness, everything moves fast and is very loud, I can even hear whispering, and sometimes when people talk its as if they never said anything, it disappears, I cant really explain it,
this is exactly what happens to me .When I 6-12 I liked it  .I would run my finger nails across my corduroy pants and could make it happen then it stooped at around 12 years old now I'm 41 and it has been going on for about a year now. It scares me though I hate it . Inter action with other talking seems to be the best for me to get it to stop
wow! the one all of you are experiencing happened to me again few hours ago. this all started when i was young probably 8-10yo. i used to cry every time the "feeling"  happened to me because it is very scary. and until now, once in a while it happens.

most of the time it happens in the morning when i wake up. i will first hear something very weird in my ears or in my head. something like something is humming or like an airplane getting louder and louder. and when im totally awake i feel like my hands are so huge and anything i touch is so huge! it feels very weird!!!!!! i once asked the doctor about this thing but they dont know how i feel. probably they were thinking im just hallucinating.

right now, every time it happened what is do is to shake my head and just put headset or my phone to listen to music and after that it is usually gone.  

i hope soon there will be an explanation and what is happening to us!!
To all that feels similar experience, try to learn meditation. even if you just search online and try on your own if you can go to classes. It should help. If that fails, talk with your family, talk with your doctor. You do not need to go through experiences that scary you or bothers you. If you look for help and talk with someone, this will get better. They did for me.
Amazing that this seems to be so common. And strange that most of us never really talked about it. I definitely had what is being described, peaking from about 9-12 years old, but continuing until my early twenties. It went away for a few years, but came back very strongly in a period of drug addiction and depression in my thirties. I've been clean for five years, and haven't had one episode. I only told three people about it in m life: my mother, who didn't really follow up, one girlfriend who would help me get out of it, and a friend who I was staying with for a while whom I had to wake up to help me out one night. I don't know why I was so hesitant to ever tell anyone, it just seemed so strange... I think I was afraid it was some mental problem, and the original onset coincided exactly with my father unexpectedly dying when I was eight years old, so I always wondered if it was some sort of stress disorder.

The description is the same as most people here: Everything seems fast, loud, and aggressive, far away and very close at the same time, my own thoughts are overly loud. It almost always seems to come up in a period of intense concentration, although during the drug years it would come up at odd times, once when I was driving on the interstate on a road trip. It would frighten me  very badly at first, but later it just felt like something I'd have to deal with and an inconvenience. Actually, I do remember once describing it to someone in a bar who was talking about panic attacks, and they told me that's what it was. But anxiety always seemed like a secondary thing, the change in perception was primary. And later there wasn't any anxiety at all.

For me the way to pull out of it was talking to someone, I would try the television, but it wouldn't always work. And I was usually too overwhelmed to speak much, so I would sometimes have to wake up whoever was around (if it was nighttime) and get them to talk to me for a while, usually just a few minutes.

So do we know what the hell this is? I haven't read the entire thread, but I see seizures, ADHD (I don't fit the profile for that otherwise at all), Alice In Wonderland Syndrome (I found that online ten years ago, and thought that described it pretty well) a few votes for panic attacks... Anyone actually diagnosed by a doctor?
I experienced this as a child too and it occurred around the same time every year. To the point where I would be terrified of the month of November. It would always be followed by a fever and chills. And sweats. I even told a doctor about this during a checkup and she quickly said it could be a result of having a fever. Well fast forward to June 10, 2013, I had a violent seizure and nearly died. Turns out I had a brain tumor growing. I had brain surgery on June 28, 2013. And they also discovered an aneurysm during surgery that wasn't detected in the MRI scans. That's the less dramatic version. Hope it helps some people. I recommend people to get MRIs. Had I taken one much earlier I could have been saved all the traumatic experience of brain surgery. I hear radiation works if it's benign (which mine was).

-Sage
Amazing can't believe there is a whole network of people with this problem.iv had the same thing since I was about 7 now I'm 23 and just suffering with one right now iv read through everyone's comments and I feel like I have read them in seconds but it's taken me ages. Thanks for everyone's info iv never known what it was and doctors have never be enable to tell me. It's mind blowing how many people suffer with these but people have never herd about them.
This has been going on with me since I was pre-teen and I'm in my 40s now. I don't really talk about it because it's so hard to explain but this is it exactly. I was just having an episode and I grabbed my phone to look it up (which made it stop). I have described these to my husband who thinks it's anxiety attacks. I'll admit that I have a lot going on in my life but when I look up anxiety attacks nothing describes this. He has panic attacks and has learned that they come on when he is calm and not in a stressed state, he said that panic attacks can come on days or weeks after a stressful event. I wonder if this is some form of anxiety???? I always think I should tell my doctor but never do because I feel foolish when trying to explain it. Has anyone ever explained it to your doctor and got an explanation? I think I will.
So glad I found this forum! I googled "sudden amplified hearing" and close to none of the searches ticked the checkbox of whatever was going on with me, and reading the comments sure made me feel less mutant. I've been having episodes like these for the past year. But mine wouldn't typically last any longer than a minute. Yesterday I had a longer, more intense episode, and if I could liken/describe it to anything it would be like the "panic attack" that the main character in the movie WANTED suffers from. Everything was in slow motion, every sound was crisp, clear, and exaggerated, and i could feel and hear my heart pounding. As it came in it would feel like a gate in my right ear opened and all sounds was magnified ten folds, then the "seizure" would go into a full blown swing and it was like someone pressed a slow-mo button in my life. This episode though, unlike the previous episodes, left me kind of blank/unresponsive (although i was AWARE/not unconcious) for about 10 seconds, almost as if my mind was trying to recover/buffer from what just happened.

I just talked to my sister about it and apparently she has similar episodes since young, only hers lasted longer and is more similar to the other posters. Like a lot of voices crowding in her head, and amplified self-perception (kind of like one of the posters commented about "THIS CARPET IS SURE LOUD TO WALK ON") also, she does not experience slowing of the environment and is able to force-sleep it off if it happens for a few hours.

I guess the difference would be that I'm just looking up on this for curiosity, as mine isn't very disabling (it was actually quite an interesting experience, whenever an episode arises) as compared to what my sister/other posters experienced. Am keen to know if anyone else has experienced what I did!

DIsclaimer: no, i do not think I have superpowers like in Wanted, it's actually far from it, I get quite disconnected from reality, and life seems like a fleeting movie/pictures/sequence of actions, almost like a dream. (fortunately, or unfortunately, my episodes does not last longer than a minute or two) also, I dont take hallucinogens, no LSD or none of those :)
Finally after years of not knowing what was wrong with my child,
my son who is 23 years old, was properly diagnosed November 2013 with :  "Atypical Migraine Variant."  
He was prescribed with:  Propranolol ( low dose, once a day)
Since taking this medication, ( 6 weeks now)  he has not had an episode!  

The same thing is happening to me as Im typing this! I feel like im yelling random crap in my head and I have a zoomed in vision. It's probably caused because I've been laying here on my bed all night staring at this small phone screen in a quiet room.
it really is fantastic to find this article and read through all these problems knowing that there are others who experience this odd phenomenon.
as a young child i had these 'attacks' alot more frequently than now, age 16, where i get one every couple of months. for me i dont think i experience too much of the distorted vision that some people here have talked about but i definitely can relate the the amplified sounds people hear. however the worst part of it for me has always been the feeling that everything is almost fast forwarded, but only slightly so that everything is just a bit quicker. its a very uncomfortable and odd feeling and i have noticed that in each episode i develop a great sense of self-awareness, especially from the amplified sounds which make me feel as though i can hear every sound that i even slightly make. i think they only tend to last from 3-5 minutes for me.
i have tried  explaining the experience to my mother a few times in the past but, understandably, she never quite understood. one time though, around a year ago, i tried explaining to my older brother (two years older) and he told me he had also experienced this when he was younger, but had not had it happen any time recently. this was of some comfort to me but finding this article has really helped me to feel more calm about the odd condition and hope my story adds to this in at least some way
I tried Topomax (topamax) and had to stop taking it.  I was an mental wreck!  Cried at everything.  I thought I was just having a hard time with the new job or something until a friend spoke up and said she had never seen me like this.  Stopped the Topomax (topamax) and the "crazy" went away.  Until a doctor gave me Lyrica.  Same story.
Your comment is the most similar to how I feel when I have these 'episodes'. Mine generally last anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes and the only way I can describe them is that on the outside, everything seems very quiet to me i feel somewhat dazed but im still functioning but on the inside in my head, every thought that is running through is being screamed and yelled so fast that it becomes so overwhelming. Trying to focus and to calm myself down doesn't help and I most of the time have to just ride it out. At the end I'm near shaking and my heartbeat is racing. I've been experiencing this on and off since I was a kid and the latest one was about half an hour ago. I'm incredibly scared about what is going on and I really want to find out what's happening to me.
I have had these episodes for as long as I can remember and I thought I was the only one. but after just having one while sitting at my computer at work I decided to google it and was amazed that others were describing exactly what I was experiencing. I happened to have a wrist blood pressure cuff at my desk while I was in what I call "fast-forwards"  and my blood pressure was sky rocketed to 210/109!!! I normally have normal to slightly high blood pressure but at those numbers it's considered a hypertensive crisis. 10 minuets after the episode my BP was down to 139/87. I'll be going to see a doctor tomorrow to see if I should be concerned.  
JESUS I'm so glad I found this. I've experienced this ever since I was a kid and the first time I remember it happened during a nightmare. I leaped out of bed and the feeling persisted for about a minute or two. It was so intense and strange all my perceptions seemed to be out of whack and my mind felt like it was on steroids.

Everything was moving a million miles a second! Every touch, thought or action was amplified x10000. God damn horrible.

It also happens when I'm sick.

Even worse made the fact that nobody in my household understood when I tried to explain it.

Theres a way to stop it though. If you find yourself in the midst of this ********, know that it will be gone in a couple of seconds and just do something relaxing. For me, I would sit and watch T.V. or just focus on my breathing.

Hope this helps guys.

P.S. WHY HASN'T THIS BEEN INVESTIGATED BEFORE? Is this phenomena only present within my generation?
It seems it doesn't last long for me, but when it happens, it hits as hard as a brick.

One time it was so intense I threw up because It was so overwhelming.
what is your horrer scope/zodiace mine is a scorpio this has happend to me and my father my father is a scropio to
hahaha its interesing as im a scorpio myself too :P
I had many episodes like this as a boy of 9 through 12. And, I later had episodes, as well. I can only describe the episodes as enhanced senses, usually occurring at night although they would occur less frequently during the day. I usually retreated to the bathroom where I sat in fear for as long as a half hour. Vision was acute...everything, even the ceiling looked as though close enough to touch. Sounds were extremely magnified to the extent that even quiet had sound. My fingers felt thick and huge. When I thought with words they were screamed in my head. I can almost feel the fear and sensations I felt then, now more than 50 years later. I was intriguing when I had an episode only a few years ago, for I was more fascinated than fearful. The trigger is a mystery, however, I have survived the episodes without any further problems. You shouldn't feel fearful about discussing these episodes with parents. These episodes are indeed extremely scary at the time of occurrence. You are not alone in your anxiety over them. Good luck and good health to you.
oh my. this is rather interesting that so many people have this. i remember having episodes like this at age 5. it happened everyday day or night. then every other day. then once a week day or night. then once a week only at night. then once a month at night. i haven't had one in 10 months and just had one last night. and when it hit, it hit hard.it scared the ever loving crap out of me and i cried the rest of the night. to me everybody talks REALLY fast and loudly, people would move in this fast/slow motion way, and i feel as if i walk really quickly and things would be very far away and distorted(i tried to sit in a chair and completely missed), but to everybody else i look and talk normal. i used to stop it by slowing down my breathing significantly and not moving at all and then it'd gradually go away. and then when i got older i would get up and walk around and it'd go away. but none of that helped this time. i lost track of all time so i don't really know how long they last. plus i'm only 16 so this has gone on for 11 or so years.
I'm 14 years old and this sensation happened every single night for about a week back in the 5th grade. It happened only in the middle of the night. I would wake up and just be terrified of nothing. Sounds were amplified and my heart would race. i would have to bury myself in my blanket because I was just terrified.

It stopped happening frequently a couple years ago, but now it's been happening again and again, usually when i'm just sitting around in my bed. It actually happened about 20 minutes ago and I decided I had to look it up (or at least try to because it's so hard to describe) And I am so relieved to know i'm not alone.

What I wanna know is does anyone else get awaken at night with this feeling? I do sometimes and when that happens I always have these thoughts racing through my brain involving large numbers. I don't know what they're even about, but it'll be something like 1,000,000 people can die. It's not actually about people dying, but whenever I try to think about what it actually is I get scared and I literally lose the thought. Extremely strange and just plain scary.
look up AIWS (alice in wonderland syndrome) and see if it fits the profile of what you experience (I found it and it fits what I experience in my "episodes"). If it does bring it up with a doctor as a possibility (that's what i'm doing) if not still go to a doctor. Mine happens at nights now. It used to day or night. And maybe ask about a referral to a neurologist and/or get and MRI.
Just like most you I'm shocked that even one person- let alone the number that have posted here, have felt the exact same symptoms as I have. In fact, it's sort of happening as I type this. The sound of my fingers typing on the keyboard is amplified and there seems to be a weird buzzing energy or urgency to everything. My thoughts are loud and sound unnatural- like listening to a movie on 1.5x speed and too high a volume.

Like some of you, I first felt this way when I was 10 and had a feverish nightmare. I dreamt I was in bed, staring up at my ceiling but I couldn't move. Disembodied voices were yelling and whisper-shouting at me, but the words I could make out were really mundane. Instead of having a voice yell insults at me- I remember hearing things like the weather report I had heard that morning, or my mother's voice reading out a grocery list. Even so, I remember been panic-stricken and terrified. I couldn't really tell if I was  asleep and when I finally awoke I had to pace around the house for a while trying to get my ears to stop hurting and my thoughts to stop yelling. I never told anyone about the weird nightmare or the fact that since then I've (sporadically) felt that same way while I've been wide awake. I notice the episodes come on more frequently when I'm sleep deprived or sick and when I've been sitting in silence or concentrating for a period of time. I've only ever had auditory effects, however- I've never experienced the visual "hallucinations" or distortions as described by the Alice in Wonderland syndrome.

Does anyone else notice that voices sound sarcastic and taunting when the commotion comes on? I often try to watch tv or play youtube clips when I can feel the episode starting. I've noticed that the actors' voices sound not so much distorted, but mean-spirited. This isn't to say I'm paranoid, because I can always tell that it's only because of the 'commotion' but it really makes it hard for me distract myself. Has anyone ever experienced this?
I use to get this to only after waking from the same accuring nightmare...  I still remember the dream till this day,  extremely hard to explain but I'll do my best.... There's one large room like a warehouse size EVERYTHING is white you can't see the floor and there's two rooms running off from the large one one room being at top left and one in the middle left and that one was a bathroom keep in mind the rooms shapes we're rectangular...  I'd first be standing in the large rectangular room,  suddenly I start hearing voices some really fast some slow some saying I'm gonna get you and other just constantly laughing At me,  then suddenly (this is where it's hard to describe) these thing's appear in a swinging motion they seem sort of hard but like cushion sort of look like a balloon too there's all sorts of shapes mostly squares and round they were all swinging from the ceiling by a rope or wire of some sort,  I can still hear the voices as they were getting louder the swinging shapes suddenly had faces eyes and mouths,  showing mockery facial expressions some evil expression I was scared they'd get me and I'd try run to the top left room but never cld make it so always end up in the bathroom which was very narrow all of a sudden they wld try n start swinging into the room I was in but couldn't get in as the door frame was too narrow and the round swinger always tried to squize in and it looked like a squished circle and it was always a evil or laughter face telling me they gonna get me....  I'd always wake after I'd reach the bathroom in a panick I was soo scared I felt like someone was watching me I cld still hear the voices they get louder n louder all of a sudden I'd get dizzy so I'd get up n my vision is narrow and seems really fast like everything on the side of my eye's was going or spinning fast but in front of me was very narrow....  I learnt that watching TV helped but was really scary to start off with it always happen to be the news on and the reporter's voices was very loud and deep sometimes scary n blurry like gibberish but after a while reporter starts to sound normal.  it happened every night sometimes every second or third..... I had a feeling that if I don't pull myself together something is gonna kill me,  it happen so often that I learnt how to make it go away and I learnt how to control my reoccurring dream but in both I cld never change anything just that I was aware what was going on and I cld never shake the fear but I knew it wasnt real and during it I always had to remind myself I'm OK when I started to do this it slowly went away then stopped it started when I was around 11yrs old n stepped around 13 but reoccurring in minor ways once a blue moon I'm now 26yrs old and last night had a dream of a spider that looked like a huntsman or tarantula black and brown striped with a Lil white spider crawling towards me n crawling on my foot tickling me but I was sort of scared but more annoyed and I started shaking it off my foot but it wldnt come off so I shook again and I relised I I was just dreaming (I was awake shaking this spider off)  the second dream probably has nothing to do with this but it's the first dream that's felt so vivid since I was 11 and it scared me I'm hoping it doesn't come back....... I always thought I was crazy n ppl wld look at me like I'm talking **** for attention but I wasn't good to know I'm not the only one that experienced this...
You're last comment perfectly describes exactly what I went through the voice not so distorted but more evil n loud I was terrified..... but TV was the only thing that wld help for a while.... Omg... thnx
The only thing to do, to make it go away.  Close your eyes and start breathing exercise thru' your nose.  Avoid sugar and caffeine.  If it's start with Migraine head ache try taking vitamin b2.
Like so many I can't believe that this forum exists, I wasn't even sure what to google to find out what I was experiencing.
I started getting these episodes when I was about 7-8 yrs old. I would be asleep and I remember hearing lots of people talking all at once so that I couldn't pick out words. I remember a huge ball of cork with me and it would make me feel un easy, the texture of it. The voices would get louder until I would wake up then all the sounds around me would be unbearable loud, the TV downstairs and even the sound of me moving in the bed. Everything felt speeded up, I felt like even just turning to get put of the bed I was doing this really fast. I would walk to the bathroom which felt like I was moving at the speed of a run. All of the rooms felt as though the got huge or I got small. This would last for up to an hour while I had a cold towel on my forehead. I had these at least once a month until I learnt that if I was to stare only at the light bulb in my room it would subside quicker. I only had them at night and I stopped having them for a while until about 5 yrs ago I was out in the street talking to a neighbour and it happened, the whole street felt as though it was moving backwards away from me. I still get it now at the age of 35 but maybe once every 3 months.
Another thing thats weird is that it's impossible to even reason with yourself. Even your own voice in you head sounds ****** up.
I had these episodes many times as a child, I am now 35 and haven't had one since my late 20's. Thank God. They terrified me, and I never told anyone. My symptoms were the same as most people describe on this thread. I too am shocked that so many people have these and most shocking is that we don't tell anyone! I don't have any idea what causes this or what it is, but I can say that I don't believe for one second that it is anxiety related, I have General Anxiety Disorder and panic attacks, they are nothing alike. I wonder if this is hereditary though because it happens to my oldest daughter. She is 14 now, she says the episodes started when she was about 6, she didn't tell me on her own though. We were watching TV one night, when she was about 9, when she suddenly starting whispering, SLOWLY she even appeared to be in slow motion... deliberately. She had a faraway terrified look on her face. She tried to get up and walk away from me. I KNEW what was happening to her, I RECOGNIZED it!! I very quietly said, "what is happening to you?" She didn't answer so I asked if everything was too fast and too loud? She nodded and started to cry. I couldn't believe it. After the episode was over we just sat and discussed the episodes with each other like people who were so excited to find a kindred spirit. I thought I was all alone. Every time this happens to my daughter she has me to come to. I wish there was someone that would have understood what was going on with me when I was a kid. It is a lonely condition to have, I am so sad to find that there are no real answers about this...
Hey, I'm a high school student and I have these very often you have the exact same thing I have been having since I've been a kid. I need help I feel like it's been affecting my life a little bit extreme headaches have occurred and I want to figure out what has been going on with me.
My 8-year-old son is experiencing these symptoms with alarming frequency (sounds are too loud and fast, he is small while everything around him is big or vice versa, balance is off).

We are pursuing it with a neurologist because the episodes have become so frequent and can be debilitating. There is a history of migraine in my family, but my son's episodes do not involve any headache pain. I know these can present without migraine too. I've read the epilepsy can also be a cause, though there is no indication at this point that he suffers from that.

Has anyone had a diagnosis of headache-less migraine that features these size and time distortion symptoms? I'm trying not to diagnose him myself, but I want to go into his appointment with as much information as possible.
How long did your son's episodes last? Did he experience any headache pain? My 8-year-old son is going through this and it's really scary. We don't know if it's migraine related or something else. We see a neurologist in a couple of weeks, which doesn't feel soon enough. Over the past 2 weeks, these episodes have been increasing in frequency, 2-3 per day. I do have a history of migraine in my family, including atypical migraine, but no one has described these symptoms in association with migraine. Thanks for your feedback. Sincerely, - A concerned mom
Look up Alice in Wonderland Syndrome. It seems to be associated most frequently with migraines, epilepsy and the onset of Epstein-Barr. You are not alone. My 8-year-old son is struggling with this and we're trying to get a firm diagnosis. Migraines run in the family, so that's a distinct possibility.

Hang in there. And get in with a neurologist if these are persistent and disruptive.

All the best to you.
Im glad i found this forum also because it just happened to me a few minutes ago.  i was reading this time. does anyone remember having trouble sleeping when they were young. i was about7/8 years old and i remember looking at the moon for hours trying to go to sleep.  it first happened to me then. im 38 now.  its really scary sometimes but the only comfort is that im confident it will go away.  Sometimes i held my breath and it went away but maybe the time was just up and it was about to stop anyway. it used to make me wish i was really moving that fast but the result of my actions proved otherwise.  it sneaks up on you.  My mom had scleroderma . im thinking it may stem from early childhood sleep deprivation.  i still think a whole lot.  even when i was young i believe i thought more than the average kid my age.  it is also triggered when my mind is used to something like the sound of a fan and tv at the same time. it occurs only when i am alone, totally relaxed.
My little girl of 8 has the exact same symptoms as you! Have you had anything checked and do you know the cause of it?
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you Tracy
I have experienced the very loud noises and many of the other experiences in this forum and i too was scared and it happened in my childhood in tne middle of the night and i would cry..well i was researching and have found what i have.   The condition is called Tinnitus and i really had to research Tinnitus in depth cos only a small percentage including me suffered from these extreme experiences....most people that have tinnitus have mild symtoms (symptoms) but if u read on and research Tinnitus You will read that some not all of the experiences we had or have are due to Tinnitus and whatever else we might have but Reading about severe symptoms of Tinnitus put me on the right track to understanding the traumatic experiences i had as a five year old kid with no one to really understand what i was going through!
I too experienced these scary loud noises during the night when i was 5 years old and up and i researched and found that severe symptoms of Tinnitus is what i experienced...Mild symptoms of tinnitus do not explain our experiences only severe symptoms of tinnitus does!!
I experienced this when i was 5 years old and researched that severe symptoms of Tinnitus was the cause of my traumatic childhood experiences!!
Please research severe symptoms of Tinnitus
I've experienced many of the symptoms that everyone describes in their comments.  Along with, but not always at the same time "Alice in wonderland syndrome".

I would like to list what I believe to be causes, and maybe share some of my experiences if I'm up to it after typing on my tablet for however long this takes.

First of all, what I've find to be causes are
× being sick/fever
× starting to fall asleep
× dark room with or without tv, computer, or phone
× certain fast music
  × the music on the title screen of the movie "drive" just initiated the experience for me to happen for the first timee in years. Besides having Alice in wonderland syndrome periodically all by itself.
× reading books

Umm, that seems to be all I can recall causing it for me.

My first experience was somewhere around the age of 5 or 6, I am now almost 25. It happened while laying on my couch in the midst of flu like symptoms accompanied by what my parents seemed to think was a fever close to being high enough to take me to the hospital.  I looked over the edge of the couch at the metallic bowl set there just in case I needed to vomit, and the red carpet and entire ground for that matter sped away from me at an alarming and almost infinite rate. At about the same time my perception of all noises were increased along with my perception of the speed at which everything was happening. Not to mention everything "felt" BIG. Even though I wasn't exactly touching anything it still seemed like I was and that it was over sized.  Sometimes I get the BIG feeling all by itself while falling asleep.  During the time of me laying down, my parents were moving around the house doing normal things, and I told them they needed to slow down, and that they were moving too fast, even though they assured me they weren't. Years later they informed me that they starting walking in slow motion to try to make me feel better. I finally feel asleep and awoke still sick and sweating, but the"hallucinations"(which is what best seems to describe it) were gone.

I also have had a weird "needle in a haystack" re occurring experience, where elephants are running in circles, while I try to find a needle in a haystack, and usually succeed. While I'm looking for it, I experience the fast the BIG and the far away and the loud.

Hope this has been an interesting read, and if anyone would like to contact me for conversion on this subject or to share experiences, or just for anything, feel free to email me at ***@****

I would share more, but my tablet is at 4% and that was quite a bit of Swype ing. Lol thanks.  And sorry for any misspelling or wrong words,I don't really feel like going back and fixing them, so blame androids Swype.  :)

Just can't believe there are this many people who suffer like me. I thought I had some psychological disorder or something because when ever I try to explain it to my mom about my situation, she would end up saying I had lots of free time at hand and is influenced by movies. No one cared to even fully hear what I had to say. Some aunt even told me to pray regarding it.

It all started even I was below 10 i guess and during bed time. Even lucid dreams used to occur before or after this. The sound of fan seemed to be very loud also with the snoring sound of my dad from the other room. Later on it started occurring at school or in afternoons when I lay on the couch. Feel as if everyone is shouting at each other and at me. Also felt as if my heat beat has highly increased. Most of these episodes last for around 2-3 minutes i think. Sometimes listening to music that time helps it to pass and also listening to music when normal causes it to occur.

It even occurred during my first interview.Everything starting getting all intense when I was speaking with my department head. I felt if I was speaking really fast, without pausing to think, and loud. I wish if I could get the right name for this condition soon. I dont think its Tinnitus nor Alice in Wonderland Syndrome.
I know exactly how all of your are feeling. I experienced this at a very young age and haven't for years now. I woke awake in the night with sounds like voices in my head that sounded very sped up and muffled, I could not make out what was being said. It sounded like a bunch of voices but not normal voices, almost demonic. Many of you are looking for a medical answer to this and I'm here to tell you this isn't a medical problem. Don't waste your time on doctor visits and spend money on medication. Many of you will probably disregard what I'm saying but what I'm saying is what's real. You are experiencing a spiritual attack by demonic forces. The spiritual realm is very much real, even realer than the realm we are in now. The only way to stop these attacks are to pray and rebuke these voice in the name and blood of Jesus! Praying and speaking in Gods name can and will stop your attacks. You have been looking for answers and I'm here to tell you that all you need is the power of the Holy Spirit. I really hope some of you take this into consideration and my post has helped some of you. Don't be ignorant to what's real. Don't underestimate the power of prayer.
- Shannon
Marijuana as cure?

I had this feeling about once a week or once a month, for maybe 5-10 minutes each "attack".
This happened alot when i was younger. I believe that my first experience with it was when i was about 10 years of age (atleast what i remember). Every sound becomes extremely intense, music and songs that i knew as calm and harmonic became violent and screamy, reality didnt seem to fit with my perception of it.
Always happened when i was alone with silence or listening to music. I have no memory of it happening with other/lots of people in my surrounding.

For the last 4 years I have been regulary smoking marijuana and have not felt it a single time. I even forgot that it ever happened to me! Just recently i've quit smoking, been clean for about 2 weeks since it has become kind of a bad habbit. And just today i felt it again, not as intense as it was when i was younger, but i was immediately reminded of this unpleasant feeling.
It seems completely obvious to me that smoking marijuana kept this feeling  away.

I just thought I should share this, also keep in mind that this might be completely individual for me but maybe it could be something to try out... I'm going to stay off the weed for a while and i must say i'm excited to see if this feelings start coming back regularly. I will try to keep this thread informed of my progress. If i never write here again, the feeling has most likely not come back!
  It seems the common denominators are being alone and concentrating on something when it happens. Intensified sensory input (especially hearing) and a change in time/motion perception, which intensify with duration are the symptoms. Distraction seems to stop it. A fever/sickness or intense dreams as a child triggers or preludes the first episode. The episodes are more frequent in childhood/teen years and the least frequent in later years with sometimes 5-10 years between episodes after the age of 30 or so, but they still occur even into the 50's. Now throw in ideas about 'superpowers' - different dimensions - vibrating at a different frequency - tumors or just plain crazy (I'm surprised no one has mentioned aliens) and it becomes even weirder. I had my first when about 8 years old after an intense dream about silver rods going through what resembled a brown shrunken brain-like object. In the dream, the silver rods were trying to tell me something or showing me what was happening to me. I can still remember the dream to this day. I had my first episode in about 6 years the other day. I have the same symptoms as most except for the voices that are not my own. I am 58 now and I have never told anyone about this until today. They suggested Google (of course) and I found this. I am so completely blown away from the sheer numbers of posts on this and nobody knows what this is exactly. Is it because we never told anyone? At any rate, now I know there are a lot of us out there and that, weirdly enough, makes me happy.  
Also...I wouldn't worry about any kind of damage from these. I have had hundreds of them with no ill effect other than they become a nuisance after a while. At times, I would let them go and see what happens. They usually intensify and then fade away slowly. I enjoy the heightened senses sometimes, but usually, probably by some self preservation instinct, I try and stop them. I find that moving suddenly and shifting my eyes does the trick, although sometimes during intense ones I have to repeat this several times.

Now that I know I am not alone in this and there are apparently a lot of us, I would be interested to know if there are other commonalities between us like physical traits, ancestry, geographical area, health, immunizations, etc.  
Sounds exactly like what I had sometimes everything seems very fast and loud I asked my doctor and turns out she had been looking into it for another patient. Anyway long story short I was diagnosed with "Alice in wonderland syndrome" search it in google it will help :).
Viewing 401-469 comments: