Surroundings becoming weird and fast/intense/loud
I first experienced this weird sensation when i was a child and had a bad fever/illness in bed. Suddenly my entire surroundings in my bedroom became very intense and everything around me became fast and almost louder in my mind, although they weren't in reality.

Ever since then i sometimes (about once every few months) experience this odd sensation and it can become a bit worrying and strange.

The whole room seems to have a new feeling to it- everything im doing whether it be walking or typing seems to intensify and become louder yet the actions are very exaggerated and almost speed up (only perceived this way). I find it very difficult to explain fully but i'm worried it's some early signs of a neurological condition or something?

It usually only onsets when i'm alone and have a lot of silence for a while...?

Does you know what this could be, please?
Something similar also happens to me. While objects don't appear larger, they sometimes feel larger in my hands. For example, as I type this, my iPhone feels like it's 3-4 times its normal size. Thoughts that I have are often yelled, they feel aggressive, as does my perception of minor and regular sounds, like a sniff, or the sound of a button being clicked. It is very bizzare and happens to me once or twice a year.
Also, any regular/Normal movements i make feel very aggressive and exaggerated.
Your description is almost exactly what I experience.

Additionally: all textures feel more intense/exaggerated. Perceiving movements as exaggerated and sped up.

Can you remember if you've gotten these episodes while having a fever (even a low one)?

I believe nearly every episode I've experienced, has been connected to having a fever, both high and low (right now 37,5,  I had an episode that lasted for maybe 10 minutes).
Yeah happens to me as well, specially when at night at its dark, quiet and I read. Try reading at night, it usually triggers it.

We should make a facebook group about this!

Do you guys have ASMR as well? Google/Youtube it, it's blown up now, starting from forums like these.
I'm 15 years old and I,ve been going through this since I was about 12. I feel exactly the same thing you described. Idk what it is or what it could be
I have the same thing!! I started experiencing mine about 2 years ago when I was sick in bed with a fever and I still have them to this day. I'm having one right now actually. I'm in high school so almost everytime I take a test it happens or if I'm in class and everyone is typing a paper or something like that it happens. I used to experience something similar to this when I was younger, sometimes when I was in bed trying to fall asleep it felt like everything was getting bigger and my walls were closing in on me and it would eventually stop. They weren't the same thing but they are similar.
I forgot to mention what specifically happens to me during these "attacks" I guess you could call them..everything gets bigger in a way..but somehow it's not everything at once it's every individual thing is bigger and everything around me is really far away but things are coming at me and it feels like everything is attacking me, and with my hands everything feels really gritty, and all sounds are extremely instensifies, and if im trying to concentrate on something it's impossible (i already have ADHD and don't take medicine for it so that could have something to do with it), and in my head everything I think of is screaming at me and if im not thinking anything it feels like there is something in my head trying to get out. this happens to me at least twice a week for about 5-10 minutes each
Totally with you on all of what you've said. I've done Psylocybin and high doses of Cannabis and the effects are similar. Definitely not ADHD or panic attack linked though it is similar.

Everything slows down and then magnifies. It's like you can travel INTO what you're looking at. I wear a heart rate monitor in bed and as long as I don't panic (completely separate emotion) I can remain within the experience until I fall asleep, which I rarely remember. My heart rate is not particularly raised - maybe slightly but nothing like a panic attack - which I had once when I had my drink spiked.

It's definitely linked to stress and concentration.

I've had many feelings over the years through my exploration of my psyche about being able to travel "into" spaces.

The visuals for this experience are very similar.

Sounds become exaggerated - very much like the scene in "Wanted" starring James McEvoy. But I personally feel I can control the state, when I was younger it used to scare the crap out of me, I would bury my head in the pillow, go for a wee, etc but it wouldn't go away until I fell asleep.

Would love to know an explanation!
I can't believe I found others with this exact feeling. Although I have not had an episode for many many years and I am 41. But for some reason it popped into my head, and I wanted to see if others felt the same thing. Mine started when I was very young maybe 5 or 6. I don't remember being sick when they happened, but for me it would be when it was very quiet or if I was doing homework etc. Everything would move so fast as if fast forward, my thinking would even be fast and it would seem like I was talking a mile a minute, my head would move so quick. Noises also would appear louder and more defined. It was the strangest feeling and maybe last a few minutes at most. I am just glad I found others with similar feelings.
Yesss!! Me too it happens when the place is really silent...it first happen when i was 10 i had the flu and recovering thats when its triggered i told my parents but they wouldn't believe me...! Im happy to find more people like us.this happend to me like when im feeling pressured i know when it gonna happen i have severe headache....im 19 now and while im writing this message it almost got like 5mins ago.....what i normally do to try and stop dont always work....but is to go under the shower take deep breaths and try not to think about it....think about something else relax and calm your mind...
im so happy i see more ppl with this illness or whatever this is...
This exact thing happens to me too! I never thought anything of it until my friend told me to research it. Idk what this is. It usually happens to me when the room is silent also
This is exactly what happens to me, im so scared  because i dont know what it is my parents think im crazy and making this up but im not!! And im so glad im the only one i just want to fond out how to stop it or WHY it is happening Someone help!!
My son had suffered from similar episodes for 14 years, finally got an anserw when ye was 11. A rare form od epilepsy of the occipital lobe.  Ask your doctor for an EEG to confirm / rule out seizure activity .
Happened to me first in a reccuring dream when i was 4 or 5, then while i was awake. happens less now im 27. had one last week and was curious to see if other people experienced or knew why. the typing thing made me realise it might be the same because im a slow typer but while this is happening it feels so fast even though i know its not. just need a few doctors that have them to study it, anyway i like it doesnt last long so enjoy it..
Holly crap. I thought i was weird. And i never told anyone because it was hard to explain. It did start in a dream around the age of 5-6!! Then when it happened while i was awake, i thought it was just a sensation of the dream(nightmare) i had. But it kept happening over the years. Im 16 now, and while i was in my room with the silence of the night, i started to experience it again. So i decited to check if i should be worried. Glad to know im not the only one. I literally almost cried just now because i felt like there are other people who know what ive felt since i was very young, and now i know how to explain it a bit better. As a little kid it felt like i was still in the nightmare. The only way i know to make it stop is to not think about it. I usually listen/sing a song and/or do something to forget its even happening. If i give "it" attention i experience it for a longer amout of time, although it never lasts more than 2 minutes. Sometimes i do want to concentrate on it to know and try to describe to myself how it feels; I never seem to succeed. As it is happening my inner voice/thoughts about whats happening evolve to be aggressive. All i do and all that happens around me feels very fast, agitated, intense, and aggressive, even though i know that in reality it is all happening at a normal pace. I seem never to have the urge or necessity to speak. In my opinion, Im guess its more mental.  I cant seem to find any type of diagnosis anywhere.  
Reading this forum has been crazy for me, as I experienced many of the same feelings as others.  However, when I read that you both also had the experience start in a recurring dream, it blew my mind.  The audio sensation, and bizarre feeling of intensity started for me in a recurring dream when I was around 5 years old.  Later in childhood, it would happen occasionally when I was alone, silent, and concentrating.  Things would kind of start to echo a little bit (in a way) and sound intense.  I would start talking, and it would sound so incredibly strange.  Everything sounded so aggressive and intense, and in my mind, my thoughts would be sort of yelling/aggressive too.  Like - WTF, ahhhhhh!  Once I sort of distracted myself, it would go away.  It usually only lasted a very short time, like 60 seconds.  Only one time it lasted longer, and I tried to explain it to my Mom while it was happening but I think she thought I was crazy.  It stopped around 18 (the dream too) and hasnt returned (Im 34).
This happened to me exactly how it happened to you when I was a kid. And you made your comment on my birthday wtf lol
i think the heat is brought on by this feeling. my dream is a bit hard to explain but ill try does involve fear of death. i am running along a mountain side house as the mountain and house are collapsing into nothing behind me, all the time with this fast feeling. i was scared too but the fear fades with each one so dont worry pal, its only made me a stronger person.
did your son tell you what his dream was about?
My son suffered similar episodes for 14 yrs. We finally got an answer when he was 11. A rare form of epilepsy of the occipital lobe. Ask your doctor for an EEG to confirm /rule out seizure activity.
I am 13 and I get the same thing but I almost hey them weekly and I have been getting them for years it scares me but I usually just sit them out even tho I hate the feeling I have no clue what it is.
I've been getting them for about 12 years now and it was extremely unbearable but then I found a trick, turn on some music and just sing to it. Usually singing one song has it fixed, hope it works for you too!
singing to a song works perfect! this is what I used to do as a kid when I got these attacks, I found I could sometimes control them as well with singing. If I felt one coming I could sing and the feeling would subside, sometimes (mad as it sounds) Id play with it, let it come on me a little bit then turn it off. Sometimes though it was to strong and even singing couldn't control it.
This feeling usually occurs to me in the morning when I get ready for school. I'm 15, but it seems to happen when I'm tired or haven't gotten enough sleep, although it happens like once a month .
I sometimes feel like there's voices in my head, whispering or sometimes even screaming .
I first experienced this like many others when I was quite young and it would happen a few times per year between the ages of 5-10 but would then become less frequent as I got older.

Like many others in this thread have said when having an "episode" it feels like things are going a million miles per hour and walking normally feels like a sprint. The part I dislike the most are the loud voices which feel like they are shouting in my head all very quickly. These voices seem to be my own and are a running commentary or explaining what I am doing - "WALKING TO DOOR, 1 STEP, 2 STEP. OPEN THE DOOR, GO INTO BATHROOM, TURN ON TAP" - as I try to stop the episode the voices become me telling myself to calm down which only seems to make things worse.

The another most notable feeling is the increased sensory feeling of touch and mainly sound for me. Anything I do seems to make an extremely loud noise, door scraping on floor, running tap, footsteps and anything I touch feels like it is huge or tiny in my hand and may change when I notice it either way.

I am now 21 and hadn't had an episode in as long as I can remember, I was due to go into hospital at 9:00am to have a catheter removed (different story) and was very anxious. I got very little sleep that night (3-4 hours) and when I woke up to get ready to go to the docs I had my first episode in years. It was identical to before but a lot less scary due to me being older and the help of this thread.

I am still not sure what causes it, I feel like it is a combination of lack of sleep, stress, anxiety and maybe being awoken at the wrong part of the sleep cycle. I have however also experienced in the day when in complete silence like others which seems to disprove this.

I have seen a few worried parents in this thread so if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer
I've experienced something very similar for years, at the moment I'm 17 and it's been about a few months since the last episode (frequents about a few times a year and lasts only a few minutes if not seconds)

Apart from the exaggerated movements, it's like my thoughts are screaming everything I think and I have little control- for instance, if I'm about to open a door it will sound to me something like "OPENING THE DOOR" in my head- it's terribly frustrating
I'm 14, and this happened to me around five years ago. I had a pretty bad fever and slept in my parents room. One night, I woke up with one of these, and it was extremely difficult to describe, but everything was going extremely fast and there were loud voices (as others have also noted).
I had one the next night, but have not had one since.

However, after the fever, there were a few things that would barely bring back the sensation. I play drums, so when I turn the metronome all the way down so it ticks extremely slowly, I can almost feel what I felt 5 years ago.

I'm surprised no one has come up for a name for it. AiWS doesn't really match my symptoms.
I am currently experiencing this right now, I was poorly over the weekend, high temperature, and now my chest is awful, everything sounds SO LOUD! the slightest noise kind of makes me jump and almost wakes me up, as if I've been sleeping, such an awful feeling
So glad I found this thread. I just had a similar episode for the first time in years. Has been happening infrequently since I was very young - I'm 35 now. The only way I've ever been able to describe it to people is that all of a sudden, my body feels incredibly heavy - movement seems fast, loud and destructive, but also strangely slow and lumbering - like I'm a giant, I suppose. Also a loud ringing and rushing in my ears but no discernable sound.

Like many people on here, I did always seem to get it when I was ill (I am very slightly ill at the moment), but could also be stress related I guess - didn't think I felt stressed but I do have a job interview tomorrow!

Also usually happens just before or interrupts sleep and very occasionally has happened in a normal daytime environment. Was scary every time but in later years, I've tried to 'ride it out' and almost embrace the experience to try and understand it more. Not always that easy though!

Some sort of disctaction - in this case, the act of reading and typing tends to help, although my ears are still ringing mildly 10 mins later.

Coincidentally, I have a meeting with a neurologist soon about something else - will be sure to mention this and post back if anything comes up.

Thanks all - has been a real help reading everyone else's posts. Hopefully we'll get more of an idea of what this is.
My son, 8 yrs old, has had two episodes. He said he stopped breathing and then everything started moving really fast. When I asked him if he was ok he would tell me very softly to stop talking because it was too loud and fast. His heart was beating so fast and he was sweating. I hugged him and stroked his hair and finally his heart rate when slowed down. Then he fell asleep. He was very scared and it made me very scared. Has anyone, other than the lady with the epileptic son, seen a dr?
H O L Y CRAP. I experienced this as a child, but I don't remember being sick or having a fever at the time. Maybe I had a random high fever in the night and just wasn't aware? I remember I used to sleep in the living room with my brother and we would watch tv. In the night I would sometimes get these episodes. I would start hearing sounds like a giant ball rolling on the ground or maybe it was the ceiling fan extremely loud and exaggerated? It was SO LOUD and took up everything. I would get a really scared feeling. It seemed like the room got really far away, the hallway got longer, etc. Everything was so loud and so intense. This happened probably 3 or 4 times. It stopped and I didn't really think about it anymore. UNTIL I was around 15 or so and it happened again. I was getting ready for school and sitting on my bed really early in the morning, with my hair in a towel just relaxing. All of a sudden it was like everything was in slow motion but was also fast? Everything around me was so intense and when I would look at an object it would be zooming in and out. I thought it was random 'I am going insane' voices but maybe it was just the voice in my head. It was going so fast like a VCR tape in fast forward. It was yelling and so panicked sounding.  I couldn't really make out what it was saying all the time but it's like it was my thoughts just jumbled up and fast. I can't remember if it lasted just a few seconds or a few minutes I just know it really effed me up. I tried to tell my mom but she kind of just shrugged and rolled her eyes. I have health & generalized anxiety so I guess she just attributed it to that. I'm 21 now and I haven't had an episode like it since but I'll never forgot it and think about it all the time. People talk about having auditory hallucinations with anxiety but this was something else...it was different. SO DISTURBING. Since I'm a hypochondriac I'm always freaking out about it thinking I'm on the verge of becoming schizophrenic, have a  seizure disorder, or something else.
I have had an almost identical experience to what you're describing and am the same age. For me its as if any voices I hear at the time when its happening are also very intense and nearly seem angry but they're lacking a certain quality of speech that doesn't make it seem like anger. I don't quite know how to explain it. I'm honestly kind of conforted that I am not the only one experiencing this.
Same. Exact. Thing. I am amazed that others have explained exactly what I thought I could never explain. I remember it happening most often in school in 8th grade in English class but would then happen at random times from then on. Everything sort of went quiet or into slow mo but not really. And all sounds were happening fast but then again in slow motion. Each sound from a voice to the clock ticking or my pencil was like initially really intense like a punch of the sound and then like an echo but not really. So crazy. I don't want to read all 600 plus answers. Have you found any answers or explanation? Wow - Lisa
I have this exact same phenomenon happen to me except compared to both of you it happens somewhat more frequently. I just experienced it like 10 minutes ago after waking up this morning to work on some homework. My mind begins to register everything in a speed and sound unlike anything else. As you guys said everything becomes so intense and loud it's RIDICULOUS but it is of course only my mind perceiving it that way. I have never understood what is happening when it hits me but all I know is it is ****** weird. I think the first time it happened to me was middle school and it seemed to normally occur during tests when everything was quiet. It would really agitate me because the slightest noises of people writing on paper or stepping their foot would pressure me and make me completely lose focus. The problems on the paper seemed to bulge out and intensify. I absolutely hated the feeling. This feeling kind of stopped in high school for a couple years but I still experienced a few episodes in my last couple years. I deal with anxiety as well and I think that may have something to do with it. For some reason in college it has occurred much more frequently (I've been in college for 2 months and it's happened probably 5 or 6 times). The upside though is I'm not scared of it anymore. I almost think it's cool for the time being. It's like an insane rush for like 10 or 15 minutes before it dies and I'm like well, that wasn't so bad haha. I've accustomed myself to it a little bit and realize that it's not hurting me and it will go away after some time. I am still very curious as to what causes it, it is an extremely odd phenomenon. I'm just glad I searched on google and some others had experienced the exact same feeling. It could definitely be from neurological reasons, but who knows. Just wanted post something because I feel like this is pretty rare.
This is crazy. I had just remembered having this happen to me when I was a child. So I decided to google it. It happened a few times. When I wasn't sick. I had similar feelings when I had a fever as a child but for longer periods and those were mostly visual. But the random things that happened to me I would say 4-5 times within a couple years around age 8-11. Time would literally seem to speed up and it felt as if everything got more intense. It was like I was tripping for 1 min. It was like people were yelling and talking really fast when they were not. I remember it happening when my parents were arguing one time and another while watching a movie. And I know it happened once or twice more. Idk if it's just dumps of serotonin or what. Feel better I'm not the only one.
I have the exact same thing and it makes me scared and nervous it happened as a kid and now it has not stopped... does any one know what this could be please help
I'm 23 now, and this is somethin that's occured every now and then since childhood. I remember(at age 12 maybe) we addressed this to the doctor and his only theory was that since my brain is still in its "stages of early development" weird experiences like these might occur...Now, this theory can be pretty much rejected now since I still experience this in cases of longer exposure to silence..and my brain should've left that "development stage" or then im just stupid haha.
In conclusion, all I've gathered about this is that the mind just acts up really bad sometimes when it's used to receive a lot of stimuli and then suddenly *poof* , all stimuli is gone and it has to pull off some weird **** to cope. Ya dig?
The first time this happened to me I was around 12 years old with an extremely high fever. Every single thing around me was the loudest thing I'd ever heard, I panicked and tried to stand up and it felt like I was doing it super slowly but my surroundings were moving at lightning speed

But the most strange thing of all, is the voice inside my head, my own voice had a strange and sarcastic tone, like it was narrating what I'm doing and mocking me

I know it sounds really crazy, but this happens to me every time I get the "fast feeling". I have actually never really told anyone and couldn't be happier to find this thread

Admitedtly it only happens to me once a year these days, and only if my surroundings are very very silent.

(I'm 22 now)
That's so crazy what you said about the voice inside your head feeling as if it was sarcastic or mocking you... I have had the exact same thing! Among all the other weird audio sensations... like things sounding loud and sped up and almost aggressive. It would happen to me when I had a fever when I was a kid or if I was sitting in silence for a while. It's happened to me a couple times as an adult (im 27) but much much less than when I was a kid. Im so happy I'm not the only one! If I tried to explain this to anyone else who hasn't experienced it I would sound like I was on the verge of schizophrenia.
I just had the same thing and it qas like zooming in and out and everything was fast when I tried pucking my phone it feeled so heavy I have no idea what happend.
Wow im so glad I am not alone!
I'm so glad I'm not the only one, but mine was slightly different. Things would get intense like you described but also things seemed to grow in size and get louder, faster etc. and it would give me anxiety attacks almost. It was like I was having crazy hallucinations or delusions, I really wanna know exactly what this is. I've never told anyone about this before because its rather hard to explain. I'm 18 now and it hasn't happened to me since I was like 12, but I still think about it. I would get so freaked out and the only thing that actually kinda helped was to just splash water on my face and close my eyes for a minute.
I had this often as a child. But oddly now tonight, i woke up at 05.00 in the morning due to my own yelling at some dream i had. I felt annoyed at something in the room that i felt made alot of noise. Dream aside, since i woke the intense ringing in the ears is super high pitched, my pulse seems very slow and hard, and every tiny movement i make feels like an exaggerated event. If i ajust my position it feels like i am throwing myself violently around even if i try to move as slowly as i can.  This is the weirdest feeling!
Commenting myself.. as a child this feeling was always accompanied with a mental imagery. A pulsing from super sleak, clean white surfaces. Then morphing into grittier, jagged black shapes. Then pulsing between these shape models with acompanying feelings.. strange to put in words, byt they were feelings. Sleek white and jagged black.
So fun that SO many have similar phenomena happening to them. Very interesting that it seems to happen more when young. I am 36 now and just experienced it for the first time in years.
So it might be called a sensory seizure. I've had these weird occurances as a kid too,  and more frequently as I've gotten older. Ive noticed it happens when I lie down mostly. I can't really say there's a trigger for it. For me my thoughts get loud, fast, and distorted. My movements feel a lot faster. My surroundings also seem to get louder. It can be hard to describe further than that. Obviously everything isn't faster, and my heart rate is normal. I've been told its an anxiety attack but it doesn't fit that description. I tried to do a complex math problem to see if my brain was in overdrive. Nope not the case. It happened when I was taking a test once and I could hear people's pencils writing, and there body sounds clearly. My thoughts would repeat and were very fast and loud. It usually passes within 5 to 15 min. Kind of neat honestly. I wouldn't worry to much since I've had it my whole life (26 years), with out any health complications. If it's effecting your life maybe seek help for seizures.  
^ I guess it can relate to certain imagery too. Someone posted earlier it's like a ball rolling around. I was asleep once dreaming when it happened too, and there was a ball rolling around on ramps. It was like being inside a pinball machine.
I get imagery as well! Or I used to. As a child, I would get this dream of (lol) Mario running after a star, and this man making a speech, it inflicted the same kind of anxious horrible feeling that I get with these episodes on here. I still get the episodes, but I don't get that imagery, I'd be interested to know if it was connected.
I get this a lot and sometimes I will hallucinate. His usually happened when I have high fevers or when I am seriously ill. For example when my appendix ruptured or when I had pneumonia when I was four. Is there a specific name for this??
Finally people who have gone through this aswell I used to get it a lot as a kid. Used to make me cry that's how bad it was. It's a terrible feeling. Even when my parents would try calm me down. I'd tell them to whisper and it still shouted like they was super loud. Haven't experienced this in years now
There is a common theme with my experiences like this. Contradictory; everything seems to contradict itself, but simultaneously. And I mean everything from surface textures (or the air and sky) being smooth and rough, to movements slow and fast, distances between me and objects across the room will feel as close as my face will allow, yet too far away to touch. Sometimes I dream of a situation as such and it just gets too violent and loud(and vice versa) or just... too weird. Everything goes so fast the world looks like it will obliterate. This is happening right now. I lightly tap each key on my phone yet it feels as if I am agressively pounding it in fast/slow motion. My senses have never been so confused. My heart rate rises... Idk what this is but this is the first time Im hearing other humans speak about this So that is exciting.
I wish someone knows what it is.  Im not sure about alice in wonderland.  Ive never seen things big or small.  Its the same as most comments here.  Everything is fast and loud happened more often when i was kid all the way to when i was a teenager.  It didnt happen much anymore on my twenties and I dont remember it happening on my thirties.  Im 37.  My ten year old just had an episode tonight and i decided to look this up.  I would move faster or jump around to fix it.  There were times that it happened when i wasnt laying around but it mostly happened when I was.  
Hope this helps. (from my experience) one way to stop/to get out of that state that is taking to someone or speaking out loud  I had difficulties starting the conversation though, even there were people around me.. I've had the same seizures (or whaterver that is called) since I was a kid. On and off while doing something or just working. It stopped probably when I turned 24 (I'm 28 now). But few months ago it happened again. This might be totally unrelated, those were the times when I had no weed .After noticing that I kinda tested it out few times.. At the age of 24 I started smoking weed on a regular basis, kinda makes sense. It might be something else too lol. Anyway I'm just too high to write anymore. :P
I used to get this around 6/7 yrs of age...I think it's caused by the adrenal glands which can affect your reaction to things...fight or flight. As a kid I also had kidney problems and could have been a contributing factor...as well as stress being sexually abused etc...any food for thought...the mind and body working together to freak us out lol
It's a terrifying sensation, that I haven't felt since I was 17, until this morning that is 3 years later and this was the worst attack I've ever had.

"A random sensation occurring when I'm alone, with no warning.                        
Tiredness, loneliness? or is it boredom?
Suddenly my entire surroundings in my room become very intense!
A tremendous steady booming in my head!
Everything around me becomes faster,louder,rapid!
Minutes that feel like they last hours!
Hypersensitive to all sound, footsteps, breathing, it's all overpowering!
Why am i narrating everything I'm doing in my head?
Slightest movement seems exaggerated!
I feel paranoid, afraid to move!
Utterly helpless, my limbs feel like they belong to someone else, they do not fell like mine!
It comes as fast as it goes and when its gone its forgotten."
I have had these episodes for as long as I can remember. I always liked it from the beginning and try to allow it to go on for as long as I can. Around 30 minutes is the longest periods I have had. I can hear better when this happens as well. Moving and speaking also also increases as far as functionality and articulation are concerned. The falling of a pen across the room would be like a slow motion segment out of a movie yet happening in real time while my concentration is seemingly increasing or in a hyperactive state. I also had a friend who I found out had this and we talked about it at a young age. Later he and I both developed mental illness surfacing around 17. Furthermore, addictive personalities. I'm not  implying it's connected to these area but I would like to see if a correlation does exist.? I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. However I embraced it from the start and have been able to expand the duration of the moods. Sorry to all of you who find it frightening when this occurs. My overall hypothesis is it could be an evolutionary process and we are experiencing the beginning of an increased awareness of our senses to our environment both intrinsically and extrinsically. It allows me to take in more information objectively and sort it subjectivity. It's a very organized state of awareness. I never make mistakes during the periods and even though it's always strange I'm just better at handling my business in all forms during these episodes and places thinking and thoughts in a constructive manner.
After seeing these responses I felt I really should offer my own! I've had this since I was young like everyone else, as I remember experiencing it then. However I feel like it's only recently (I'm 18 by the way) that I started re-expereing it?

As of late I've kept a diary of every time it occurs, and so far I've had it 7 more times since August 2016. It lasts about 10 minutes on average, and my heart rate does not increase whilst it happens. The way I've described it when experiencing it is that things feel loud, fast and "intense". I also get a strange sensation before it happens where things just feel wrong (I suppose it's an anxious sensation) so I can tell it's going to start when I feel that way.

When it's happening there's sometimes a sensation in my mouth as well, a kind of weird fuzzy in addition to the same feeling on my hands. This tends to continue after the fast/loud thing has ended. As well as this, my thoughts are often pretty loud and I can 'hear' my thoughts yelling at me like "aaaa!". The intensity increases the longer it occurs for almost like I'm going to explode! I always feel like I might, the feeling is so overwhelming.

But all of this stuff doesn't feel physical for sure! I can definitely tell it's all in my head when it happens, which is frustrating because you're a back-seat passenger just waiting for it all to end. Meanwhile, all your other functions are totally fine. I won't go to a doctor about this because It isn't really a burden on my life, but I can't help but curious.
Oh I just wanted to add that being sick isn't something that influences the episodes for me. It just happens randomly, and I've never had a seriously high fever in my life! Only mediocre or average ones.
I was really hoping to find an answer to what this is but this is my experience.
When I was younger I experienced very similar to what you have all described speeding up of my time perception, becoming sound sensitive etc. However as well as it occurring whilst awake it would also happen in my sleep: I would hear an out of tune flat note (I think it was a guitar I could hear) that would get louder and faster, I would wake up in a sweat, crying and screaming. It is still the worst recurring nightmare I've ever had.
Until recently I had forgotten about it however about a year ago, I'm 18 in July, it started again, only when I'm awake. It happens a few times a month and it causes me to become very upset and distressed during, usually causing me to well up and verge on hyperventilating.
I do worry that it's stress related or worse and I hope that I find an answer to what it is soon and what I can do to help it, if I do I'll share it on here.
It's called, "Exploding Head Syndrome". I am not joking. Look it up. I used to get the same exact thing as a child (especially during fevers) and have only had it happen to me a few times during adulthood.
This exact thing happened to me! It happened fairly regularly as a kid and just happened to me now again for the first time in years (I'm 29). I did have a stressful day at work so maybe that triggered it. I still wish I knew what it was exactly. I've looked up Exploding Head Syndrome but I don't hear any explosions or have any sort of auditory hallucinations (which seem to be a component of EHS) so I'm not sure if that's it. But the OP described exactly what I feel. Ambient sounds and my own thoughts become very loud, and time both feels like it is rushing by and at the same time deliberately slowed down? So difficult to describe, which is probably why I could never articulate what was going on as a kid and only succeeded in confusing my mother before it passed. As an teenager/adult it just became a weird thing that happened occasionally. Pretty scary as a kid though.
I get the same thing time to time, I'm 16 at the moment. It happens about every month and only at night. Always thought I was crazy which made me not want to  explain to anyone otherwise. Sometimes I get headaches afterwards. Everything seems to speed up, everything sounds louder, I hear my own thoughts as if I was yelling them outloud but I could only hear them, and I get a weird tingling sensation throughout body. I don't know what it is or if it is some kind of mental disorder but I am a little worred about it. I want to know what this is called, I don't want to be unsure about this.
I feel now maybe it's a kind of anxiety dissorder...
I am currently 31, diagnosed with aspergers syndrome, and had this happen to me for 20-30 minutes every 2-8 months throughout my whole life since I was 7 years old.  It first started when I played the following game for 8-12 hours a day for a significant period of time:
I had a nightmare one night where I was seeing images of the game zooming in and out really fast and hearing a high pitch tinnitus sound getting louder and unbearably louder.  I then woke up feeling the same heightened sound sensations.  I only seem to experience the intensified (as oppose to louder) distortion of sound, my body parts feel bigger and any body movement feels amplified.  I, like so many others, feel very fortunate to have found this discussion as Ive never been able to feel like I can articulate the episodes correctly and have felt like I'm the only person in the world going through it.
the game I played was Treasure Island 1984
THIS HAPPENS TO ME ALL THE TIME. IT STARTS OFF SLOW AND I CAN FEEL MYSELF FALLING INTO THE PATTERN AND ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO BREAK ONCE I'M IN THE SENSATION. USUALLY IF I'M BY MYSELF FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD OF TIME,(EVEN IF I HAVE MUSIC ON SO ITS NOT DEAD QUIET), IT'S SO DIFFICULT TO EXPLAIN, BUT IT FEELS LIKE EVERYTHING SLOWS DOWN IN MY MIND BUT MY ACTIONS AND SURROUNDINGS ARE FAST AND VERY INTENSE. I CAN REMEMBER IT ONLY USED TO HAPPEN IF I HAD THE FLU AS A YOUNG CHILD AND FELT LIKE I WEIGHTED DOWN IN MY BED, WHILE EXPERIENCING THIS. BUT OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS IT JUST HAPPENS WHENEVER IT WANTS. I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER IT AND IT ONLY LASTS FOR A SHORT WHILE. I NOTICE THAT THE USE OF TECHNOLOGY WHILE GOING THROUGH IT MAKES IT SEEM TO STOP ALMOST IMMEDIATELY. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS?
I HAVE THE SAME THING AHHHHHHH WE ARE INSANE
My 8 year old son describes how he was feeling at dinner tonight and I knew right away that it was what I have experienced my whole life- exactly what everyone on here is describing.  

I always felt it impossible to not feel like these episodes were violent-- even if there was no physical violence whatsoever-- as every movement seemed aggressive and confrontational, every sound like a bomb!  EVERYTHING LOUD!!!  Like the volume on life had been turned up so loud that it was distorting,  I would try all kinds of tricks to shake it, but it always just seemed to come and go without warning or reason.  

Are there any explanations available on here?  I was told it sounded like a panic attack, but I don't know, I'm not really on board with that.  Any feedback is appreciated.  
I GET THE SAME THING AND I USED TO GET SICK AND FEEL THAT AND IM SO GLAD SOMEBODY ELSE KNOWS!
Same I always tried to explain it to anyone and they all looked at me crazy. It's hard too explain I would tell them but that didn't help it. And since I never knew what it was or could find how to determine it I just called "a different kind of deja vu" if anyone does find out what it is plz tell me
i have exactly the same thing. i was diagnosed with Mild right temporal lobe epilepsy. If you google it it tells you the same symptoms
I have the same thing, it started off when I was younger and had a fever and I didn't get it for a couple years but I'm 14 now and it's every couple of days that I get it. It's scary and everything seems angry and to loud. I have it right now at this moment and everything is faster louder and aggressive. I'm scared please help.
Read what I wrote... don't stress
I have gotten these for as long as I can remember too. They always occur at night when I'm laying in bed. Suddenly the bed feels like its made of cement and I know one is coming. Slowly all the sounds in the room become deafening loud. If I move the covers on the bed, this is so loud that I try to just stay still. My voice sounds the same when I speak. Then everything begins to move fast. Fast and loud. As a child I would describe this as someone crumpling a paper bag in my ear. The episodes last 5-10 minutes. Music stops them. It seems to create a tempo for my brain to follow. I have thought they were anxiety attacks, epilepsy and seizures. The closest I have come is Alice in wonderland syndrome; but that still isnt right. Doctors dont know what it is and since its not hurting me i just endure them and go back to sleep. I try to think of them as my brain being overwhelmed and needing a reset.
I left a message in this thread 3 years ago, and it's cool to see its quite active still(last message is only 8 days old).
Since quite a few more things've emerged recently on the "neurological" aspect of things in my life, I figured an update and some speculations would be appropriate to share.
In addition to the "intense loudness" episodes, I began having some bizarre unprecedented episodes where I'd feel intense deja vú and nausea for 15 secs, now and then. Although being very different in nature from the ones discussed here, it's yet a seizure/episode. Just another type.

Jennib14 shared here that she's been diagnosed with Mild Right Temporal Lobe Epilepsy; the same kind of Epilepsy has been suggested  concerning the other episodes i mentioned having. Correlated? Sure. In some way, most likely.
From my experiences with various neurological episodes and as Jennib14 adduced, it seems to lean toward seizures, particularly originating from the temporal lobe(which i think is responsible for sensory perception).
Not to alarm anyone, I'd conjecture this is due to some form of mild jerks/electric abnormalities in that part of the brain.
Notwithstanding, if anyone is getting very concerned, you might wanna have an EEG and MRI examination done at your neurologist.
Never hurts(unless they want you to start taking a bunch of useless nauseating meds lol). I'm having my 1st appt in a few weeks(i will be having EEG test)

It's not either surprising that we had these more regularly in our younger years; the brain is undergoing some crucial development during those periods. Therefore it makes sense and would be safe to assume that, during that stage, we are more liable to experience such things.
In spite of the many on this forum thread having admitted to having these episodes, it goes without saying that this is no ordinary phenomenon; eg, I've shared with many in my life about these symptoms and not one of them have been able to relate.
So, the reason as to why exactly  we are predisposed to having them, remains a mystery and, by the accounts of others here, I doubt a  neurologist even has a definite answer for.

Take care
Both myself and my sister had these episodes when we were children and into our twenties. I'm now 53 years old. My sister and me called these episodes 'The Quicks' because everything seemed to go faster, your limbs when moving seemed to move fast, people seemed to move fast, sounds became loud and speeded up. The horrible thing was the feeling of paranoia. People (family members) seemed malicious even though they were doing nothing out of the ordinary. My hands and arms did not seem like they belonged to me. The episodes arose like other people's, when everything was very quiet and also if I was doing something repetitive. My sister and me would tell each other when we were having The Quicks. It was really very weird. We both didn't know other people had them. Like someone else on here I remember singing and also doing something repetitive to get out of it. Like others I'd love to know definitively what it is and why it fades away with age.
@treehouse Yea , I could totally relate when you said that "they appeared malicious" while "nothing was out of the ordinary". This also triggered that paranoia feeling for sure ; it was crazy, but since i rarely have them anymore i kinda just laugh at it.
Thx for sharing
I am 29, female. From china. I have been experiencing this since early childhood. now much less frequent. once in a few months. I also experience sleep paralysis and lucid dreams at the same pace.

it usually lasts for 10 mins. When i was a kid, i would tell mom and she would pray with me. it would go away. my coping mechanism is to talk to someone either over the phone or in person. It used to overwhelm me. when i am older, I sometimes like to ride it out.

i just had an episode tonight after shower being alone at home. so I turned off lights and lit one candle to sit down and meditate. essentially to minimize all sensation stimulation. I tried to slow down my breath so I don't scare myself with the sound of my breath and try to quiet my thoughts so they don't sound too loud and aggressive. I try not to move at all. all my movements feel aggressive and violent.

sometimes, I would think to myself, if this sensation lasts longer, I would go insane.

I am very happy to have found it. I tried to explain it to other people, but no one understands it. mom just calls it demons.
I can't believe I found other people that experience this! It happened to me as a kid, usually when I had the flu! It's so hard to explain that I never told anyone about it. I tried to explain it to my friend once and I just sounded insane and she had no idea what I was talking about. I'm 27, and it has happened to me a couple times as an adult, but mostly when I was a child. The times when it happened to me as an adult, I was in college and I was prescribed to adderall. I would be studying and focusing for a long time and it would happen for maybe 10 minutes. I feel like if I think about it too much it might start happening again... insane. I thought I was the only one.
That just happened to me... same everything. I am 14 and i have a fever. It lasted 5-10 minutes this has only ever happened once or twice before. I don't know what to do it scared the crap out of me
Wow this happened to me when I was young and it never happens any more , I never understood this feeling and now that I’m older I always though maybe it was a dream. When I was a child my sisters and brothers Always got the fever and everytime they got the fever they experienced seeing things , I always watched my mom holding them telling them no one is there and I could remember my sister or brother crying and screaming to my mom saying someone was right there trying to get them .this had never happened to me this only happened to my brothers or sister when ever they got a fever. Me on the other hand I always experienced something different that I never understood. I didn’t get sick as much as my relatives but I always had those moments where everything in my room would just start to spin and move really fast, everything I Hurd in my head was just really really LOUD! I don’t get fevers now that much but reading these comments realizing that everyone experienced this as a child I’m starting to feel like wtf is in those vaccines these hospitals be giving us when we are young. Because I don’t get that feeling any more last time I felt it was when I was about 15 I am 25 years old now. Like my sisters and brothers use to be terrified when they had a fever they all experienced seeing shyt coming after them and I could remember them panicking in my mother’s arms crying and screaming because they was so scared. Wth is that all about and it ONLY happened when they was sick with a fever ?????? You just gotta start questioning shyt the doctors was the only ones who injected something inside our blood it makes no sense to get sick with a fever and everything around you is moving fast or your seeing shyt coming after you. Makes no sense