Suspicious MRI showing T2 signal abnormality
HI,

I had some numbness down my left side a few weeks back and a have gotten a few headaches as of late (nothing major but persistent).  I went to the GP and they did a round of bloods and they were all normal.  Got a CT Scan at the ED and it was normal.  Finally went for an MRI and the MRI results show "Multiple foci of T2 signal abnormality within the white matter distribution bilaterally more so within the frontal lobes.  The foci of signal abnormality are rounded in nature and demonstrate perivenular morphology.  There are one or two small discrete foci within the corpus callosum.  Given the age of the patient the findings are highly suspicious for demyelination.  There is no evidence for restricted diffusion to suggest an active plaque."

It also says that "There is a globular focus of T2 hyperintensity at 7mm within the white matter of the right front lobe, round in appearance...There is linear T2 hyperintensity demonstrated within the deep white matter of the right frontal lobe in perivenular distribution.  There are one or two small discrete foci of signal abnormality within the mid body of the corpus collsum.  In addition there are rounded foci of T2 hyperintensity within the white matter of the posterior temporal lobe.  The optic nerves demonstrate a normal signal.  No abonrmal haemosiderin deposition is seen.  On MRA imaging the vertebrals are symmetrical.  No evidence for basilar artery stenosis.  No focal aneurysm."

My neurologist has ordered an MRI of the neck (not done yet) and so far we have not done an MRI with contrast of either the head or neck.  Should I be expecting to do so?  I have to pay for most of my medical expenses out of pocket and I would like to know what I'm looking at.  So far the neurologist is points out that the it may be MS but there are other tests they need to run to get a better sense of whether it is or isn't.  I guess I wonder - it looks like I have a LOT of stuff going on here (in this report).  How progressed might this be?  Should I be worried this could be fatal?  What should I be asking when I go to my appointment?

Thank you SO much in advance.  I am truly scared.  I am worried I may be dying or have some advanced stages of MS.  I can run and talk and play guitar and other things so my motor function is still pretty good.  Please let me know your thoughts.

Kind Regards,

Matt
Hi Matt,

I'm Shell from over at the MS forum here on Medhelp. I happened upon your post from he other day and hope you don't mind me popping in. From what you describe with testing it does sound to me that the c-spine was ordered based on what they see in the brain MRI and from what you describe happening with the numbness and what was found by way of exam.

To put your mind at ease, if anything seen so far w/in your brain were fatal, they would have swept you away to the emergency. The radiologist describes consistency with demyelination for the most part. So, your neuro is definitely doing you right by ordering the additional testing and imaging of your spine.

For what it's worth, my largest lesion is 11mm x 7mm, x 4 or something and I'm still here! Even with one that's now a black hole.

So, welcome, and hope you enjoy your time here amongst others and please accept this as an invitation to join us over on the MS forum to learn more about MS if you feel comfortable to do so.

take care,
-Shell
If your motor function is still pretty good, you definitely aren't in an advanced stage of MS. While the disease can progress more quickly in some cases, you don't sound like one of those cases--if it is even MS.

The neurologist wants to see if you have any lesions on your spine just so he has an idea of the extent of the disease, but if you're still fully functioning, you're definitely not dying. Just keep up with your neurologist appointments and they will discuss what it looks like you have and the treatment options. I know people who have MS and they're doing just fine, years after being diagnosed. Take it one day at a time and remember we all have something... =)