Neurology Community
Swelling and slight pain in left side of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am having a slight pain and numbness-like feeling in the left side of my head. I felt the area and noticed there is a slight swelling too.  Today I feel pressure in the left ear and cheek as well.
Should I be concerned?
I have no history of any serious illness and I am 27 years old, healthy.
Thank you for your question. There can be several reasons of such symptoms although without being able to examine him I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that he needs, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about his health concern.

Most of the times pain in the portion of the head along with swelling and numbness symptoms originate from the neck problems due to irritation/injury in the cervical (neck) spine since the nerves that supply the back of the head/ear start in the upper cervical spine. These symptoms may felt near to ear & cheek as well. Mostly, this kind of head pain aggravates after turning head and typically occurs in patients with previous neck injuries/sudden jerk. Another possibility could be starting of facial palsy after a viral infection/trauma that is characterized by inability to close eye, loss of sensation on affected part, difficulty in speaking and mask like face on affected side because facial nerve innervates facial muscles and any damage to facial nerve may cause inability make facial expressions like smiling, frowning etc. If you suffer similar symptoms, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you.