Neurology Community
Swollen legs/feet, numb fingers

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Swollen legs/feet, numb fingers

I have had swelling in my feet for about 4 weeks now. In the last 2 weeks the swelling has spread up to my knees and the pain is constant. I can push my finger into my shin area and a 'divot' will remain there for several minutes..also, I have numbness and tingleing in my fingers about 75% of the time. It's gotten to the point that I can't flex my ankles and my legs and feet hurt so much I can barely walk...What could this be and what can I do?  Thanks for your help in advance...
Hi, what you are describing is called, appropriately enough, "pitting edema" because when you press into it you leave pits,  (but I like "divots" too)  It is caused by a salt and water imbalance in the body with the body holding onto to too much water.  If this has never happened to you before you need an evaluation as soon as possible by your doctor to rule out the more serious causes.  The most common causes are heart, kidney, and liver problems.  and some more uncommon endocrine (hormone) problems.  It can also happen with obesity combined with a diet very high in salt.

For until you can see your doctor, reduce the salt in your diet and spend as much time as you can with your feet elevated.  But, GET CHECKED!  It can be something serious.  If you are also short of breath, or have chest discomfort, very fatigued, have a history of high blood pressure or otherwise have serious health problems you need urgent care.  By that I mean NOW, tonight!

Can you give a little more info about your health and current symptoms?  Can you get someone to check your blood pressure today?

Quix