Neurology Expert Forum
Syncope while sleeping

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Syncope while sleeping

Some years ago I was diagnosed with neurocardiogenic syncope.  Also have had a blood clot that collapsed my IVC with collaterals forming as a result.  As I aged the fainting was less frequent but now starting up again.  Recently I have been passing out while sleeping.  My mom has had to awaken me with a sternal rub twice in last few days. .  CT ruled out another blood clot and tests in ER ruled out heart problem.  past neurological tests ruled out seizure, etc.  though been about 5 years since last eeg.  One doc suggested taking seizure med even if eeg normal?  Anyone else have this problem and found a solution?
Tags: syncope
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Syncope is the general termed used to describe loss of consciousness secondary to a cardiovascular problem (such as a heart rhythm problem) or an abnormal heart rate/blood pressure response, as occurs in vasovagal syncope. Syncope in the lying down position is unusual but could occur, particularly with heart rhythm abnormalities. In order to check for that, a heart rhythm monitor could be warn for 48 hours.

I am not sure what you mean by passing out while sleeping. In general, in order to definitively exclude seizures, an EEG would need to be done during an actual episode of loss of consciousness; sometimes this requires admission into a monitoring unit, where a person would stay overnight and be monitored with EEG.

Further evaluation of your problem is definitely warranted, and follow-up with a cardiologist, and based on his assessment a neurologist, is advised.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.