Neurology Community
Syncope

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Syncope

Throughout my life, I've experience light-headedness after getting up too fast from sitting down for periods of time. Strangely, it seems to have gotten worse in the past month. For instance, I've actually blacked out twice after I get the light-headed feeling. The most recent time was even more severe.

Over the past weekend, I went to the beach with some friends. I didn't have much fluids throughout the day, I was exhausted, and I had recently just gotten rid of the flu. Later in the evening, I got up too fast from sitting down and I blacked out again and actually had seizure like shaking for a period of 10-15 seconds. I lost most of my short-term memory. The only reason I am able to describe this is from what my friends who witnessed it said.

After I fully recovered, I started researching and found that my symptoms were best described by "syncope". I wanted to find out how something like this could have happened. This is the first time anything like this has happened to me and I'm trying to figure out if it's going to be a recurring experience in my life. Does anyone have any relevant information and/or advice on what to do next? Thanks!

The initial symptom that you described, that of feeling light headed soon after you get up from prolonged period of sitting could be because of postura hypotension. Not having enough fluids can exacerbate this and that could have been a reason for blacking out. But you have described what seems like a seizure of some kind, because you also have some short term memory loss which does not usually occur with a syncope.

For reaching a proper diagnosis, it would be better if you could consult a neurologist, taking along with you a reliable witness to your black out. Different types of seizures are characterised by different types of movements and the friend can be helpful to the doctor in reaching to the diagnosis.

Regards