Synovial cyst removed from sciatic nerve

Last year (May of 2007) I had a lumbar fusion done L4 - L5.  At that time, a walnut sized synovial cyst had to be removed at site between L5 - S1.  The cyst was attached to the sciatic nerve, which my surgeon had never ran into previously, he said he had no choice but to carefully scrape the cyst from the nerve.  I recovered nicely from my operation with few problems, my neurosurgeon wanted me to start a regimen of walking as soon as possible. when I started walking, I couldn't walk too far without experiencing hip level back discomfort.  When I returned to his office for 10 day post-op check up, he said I could substitute walking for riding my recumbent bike, as long as there was no swaying of my back in doing so.  At 6 month post-op check up, he looked at new x-rays, and said everything was healing properly.  Could that damaged nerve cause pain in hip height area of back on left side, and swelling of leg if on it for an hour or more?  Believe me, I do know that he had no choice in removing the cyst, but would like some idea if a damaged sciatic nerve can be remedied some way, or if that's what is causing the swelling at all, it's coming upon a year now, and it is quite debilitating to life in general.  

I also have systemic lupus, kidney failure, (chronic interstitial nephritis) and myoclonic seizure epilepsy.