Neurology Community
Syringomyelia surgery left anyone with numbness ….

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi I been trying to look for post of anybody that has had surgery for syringomyelia and was left with numbness in an extremity…I was left with numbness in my right leg. My strength is there but it just feels numb…through the yeras it has been getting better tahn when I woke up from the surgery.. My surgery was 24 yrs ago…I have gotten all sorts of different diagnoses from dif neurologists…I do not feel my entire shoe on so I just have to find shoe that will have a good grab on my feet. Slippers are a no no … I have learned to live with this “aftermath” but I really wanted to know if somebody else out there has to deal with this.

I was told it was due to nerve cutting when the neuro surgeon cut to open and insert the shunt.

Hi...I know we already chatted in the chiari forum...

May I ask, have u had a MRI to see if the syrinx is growing again?
A nerve being cut will cause these issues...and nerve damage from a shunt surgery or the posterior fossa decompression surgery...this is something that can happen.

I am sorry u had this as a result of ur surgery.....

"selma"

I have an MRI alomost once a year to monitor my syrinxs. It has not grown since the first op 24 yrs ago. Everything is the same. Thank God!
I have learned to live with it and really it does not bother me at all. It took me sometime to get used to it, but with so many other symptoms to worry about this is a piece of cake. I posted before that I take care of my right leg and pamper it a lot. It is the only right leg I have!!!! lol

I thank you for your kindness and loving words!

I know what u mean, I use a cane and have for over 10 yrs now....I am only 2.5 yrs post op as I was only dx'd in '08....

I would also look into related conditions such as Ehlers-Danlos, disk issues, even lupus can be an issue as we seem to be prone to connective tissue and auto immune disorders....so do ask ur Drs to check for u if u do not feel the issue is the cut nerve.

Chiari and syringomyelia are life altering conditions unfortunately.

"selma"