Neurology Community
Syrinx Cures

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Syrinx Cures

I have a Syrinx in the t5 to t6 and endure extreme back and muscle pain because of it.  I am currently taking many medications from a pain management doctor.  Are there any cures or success stories in eliminating syrinx's?  I've also heard stories that syrinx's "could just go away over time", is that true?

Bob
I have the exact situation and I wish I had an answer for you. I've been on a mission to conquer this pain for the past 4 years and it seems to be getting worse in spite of everything. Please post if you come across any solutions.
Hi, “the first step after diagnosis is finding a neurosurgeon who is experienced in the treatment of syringomyelia. Surgery is the only viable treatment for syringomyelia, and a neurosurgeon is the only specialist qualified to provide a fully informed recommendation. Not all patients will advance to the stage where surgery is needed. Evaluation of the condition is often difficult because syringomyelia can remain stationary for long periods of time, and in some cases progress rapidly.

Surgery of the spinal cord has certain, characteristic risks associated with it and the benefits of a surgical procedure on the spine have to be weighed up against the possible complications associated with any procedure. Surgical treatment is aimed at correcting the condition that allowed the syrinx to form. It is vital to bear in mind that the drainage of a syrinx does not necessarily mean the elimination of the syrinx-related symptoms, but rather is aimed at stopping progression. In simple terms this means that a syrinx with the main symptom of pain, may not actually lead to any reduction (or only a part reduction) in the pain symptoms after the syrinx has been drained!

Surgery is not always recommended for syringomyelia patients. For many patients, the main treatment is analgesia. A typical treatment of syringomyelia involving severe chronic pain would involve two or more medications. One medication for "classical" back pain such as a weak or strong opioid (e.g. tramadol and Oxycontin respectively) combined with a medication to combat any neuropathic pain symptoms such as shooting and stabbing pains (e.g. Neurontin or Lyrica). In addition, paracetamol can be used to combat headaches. Such long term treatment of chronic pain should be monitored with blood tests to assess any adverse effects of the medication on the liver, with the dosages being then changed accordingly, depending on the outcome of such blood tests.

Drugs have no curative value as a treatment for syringomyelia. Radiation is used rarely and is of little benefit except in the presence of a tumor. In these cases, it can halt the extension of a cavity and may help to alleviate pain.
In the absence of symptoms, syringomyelia is usually not treated. In addition, a physician may recommend not treating the condition in patients of advanced age or in cases where there is no progression of symptoms. Whether treated or not, many patients will be told to avoid activities that involve straining.
Since the natural history of syringomyelia is poorly understood, a conservative approach may be recommended. When surgery is not yet advised, patients should be carefully monitored by a neurologist or neurosurgeon. Periodic MRI's and physical evaluations should be scheduled at the recommendation of a qualified physician”.

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syringomyelia
I have Syringomyelia and have it in the same area as you.
I feel that the post from Dr. Kalra is very good advice but it does not help you much.
ASAP is the best org. that is up on the newest and best treatments for SM.
Go on the web and put www.asap.org and you will get into it for help from others with SM. It was founded by the White family who was touched by SM and they are trying to help all of us with SM by finding the best Dr's and treatments available in the world.

My best,
Susie