Neurology Community
Syrinx

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Syrinx

I have been diagnosed with a syrinx from the end of my spine to C-2 /C-3. This has been about 6 months ago. I have seen 8 neurosurgeons and they can do nothing for me. Every day I try to use and exercise my muscles, especially my legs and arms. Some days I can do ok for a few hours and some days I can barely get out of bed.. All these doctors, including my family doctor, have told me to enjoy every day to the fullest. I have been left not seeing a future, but I am 67 years old and have had several ruptured discs operated on since 1975. In 1997 I was diagnosed with a bone wrapped around my spinal cored. I was operated on with good recovery, but my surgeon couldn't remove the bone. He chipped it off to verify that it was bone and inserted more skin so if it grew there would be more room for the spinal fluid to go through. I went back to work for a couple of years and my legs started hurting to bad. All I see is a pretty close meeting with death. I can't drive, can only walk with a walker, can barely type without making a lot of errors (used to type 80 words w/o errors), have to stay in bed about 80% of my life and there are so many little things that I can't list them all. Please give me your opinion on my condition. Thank you for helping me with this. Kiki

This discussion is related to Myelomalacia.
Welcome to the site and to the community. You have come to a place where people are very supportive and have a lot of information. I would like to point out that
as the information on your left says, this is only my personal advice and you should always consult a doctor with problems first. Also, while it is
understandable to want information or advice about medication/s you should never alter or stop without speaking to the prescribing doctor first.
The advice I give is from personal knowledge and or experience, this does not mean I am a health professional or that my advice should be
taken over a health professionals. If I am not able to help, rest assured there will probably be more people to help.