Neurology Expert Forum
T-SPINE PAIN

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

T-SPINE PAIN

I have been experiencing chronic pain on the left side of my spine, between the top and bottom of the L shoulder blade. The pain is almost unbearable if I attemp to extend my neck upwards(or drop my shoulders down) and not so severe when I compress my neck.  I have had X-rays to r/o a fracture and have been to a chiropractor 16 times in the last 3 months, as well as a Kinesiologist twice, neither of which provided relief.  I believe the injury occured from trauma to the forehead 6 months ago which, at the time left me with pulled neck muscles, which healed within a week or two.  I'm 28 years old and in great health(with the exception of this back injury)and I usually heal very fast. What could it possibly be? Please help. Thank you.
Dear Chris:

I think the thing to do is see a neurologist, get an MRI of the C-spine and go from there.  What may be going on is a C-spine problem of the nerve.  Although you haven't mentions whether the pain is shooting or radiating?  If it is either of the two then I would think nerve.  Dull aching pain is usually not nerve, but some structural problem in the muscle or joint.  But from what you indicate as the etiology, it sounds C-spine.  What your looking for is a foramen abnormality or disc that can effect the exiting nerve.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD