T2 hyperintensity in the left thalamus
Hi everyone,
my dad has just had an MRI showing T2 hyperintensity in the left thalamus and left posterior pariteal lobe. He has no other health conditions apart from ventricular tachycardia which is well controlled and also suffers from regular neck pain and headaches. They intially though it was an atypical migraine, but the MRI said it may be a sub-acute infarct.
Does anyone know if chronic headaches and migraines can cause this? Also, how significant is it. It has been one month since his episode stroke symptoms, but he is still numb and tingling on areas of the body. Has anyone experienced anything like this and can give some experience about how long these symptoms can last for?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance :)

Chronic migraine and headaches can cause hyperintensities in the brain. The possibility of stroke is also very much there since he is suffering from tingling numbness. It is difficult to comment without a good clinical exam and complete medical history. I would suggest you to seek consultation with a neurologist for your father.
Let us know if you have more questions.

thanks mrdoopur! yeah =( i'm really hoping it's not a stoke. the MRI report said there is a possibility of subacute infarcts, but also that the main arteries were normal. So i'm guessing he may have had some infarcts in smaller ones. Our appointment with the neurologist is next month, and he's also due for an MRI in 2 months. oh also, when he was in hospital, the neurology exam was normal and he hasn't lost any strength.
The stroke thing would be scary. But i suffer from chronic migrianes and my MRI report said the same thing as your father. Sometimes if he is having a migriane and he is also having the tingling and numbness at the same time it could be from the mirgraine inflamming the nerves. But your doing the right thing by going to the neurologist. Hope all works out.

It is a good sign that his neurological exam was normal and there is no muscle wasting. The diagnosis now tilts more towards migraine. Let us know the results after consulting the neurologist.

Hi  RNin2010 and DrNoopurMD,
Thank you both again for sharing your knowledge! I appreciate every bit of it and will keep you posted.