Neurology Community
T2 hyperintensity

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

T2 hyperintensity

Since my late teens early 20's I have always had some near sightedness.  Over the years I have been loosing about a point to 1/2 point a year.  My eyes started giving me some problems this last couple of months.  I have gotten double vision and very blurred vision.  My presciption changed in less than week.  My left eye will just go blind if I stare at something.  My o.d. asked for an MRI and they found a punctate t2 hyperintensity in the left lobe.  All of my drs would like me to see a neurologist.  What is going on?  Could this be MS?  I have also gained alot of weight for no reason it seems in the last 4 months and am seeing stars.  I am needing some guidance here please.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello.

Hyperintensities on a T2 weighted image refers to some blood vessel problems or inflammation. The word punctate translates into small areas of infarction (cell death). It would help if you could specify which lobe of the left hemisphere the lesion is located at. You should see a neurologist.

Regards
Thank you for your response.  I wanted to type to you the exact mri verbage : there is a nonspecific punctate white matter t2 hyperintensity present in the left deep frontal periventricular white matter.  

My concern is that I am having so many vision issues in my left eye.  It will at times go completely blind.  I am also worried because i seem to have numerous symtoms (symptoms) of MS.  However, I am aware that those can also be that I'm growing older and putting on so much wieght.

I am 5'9 and I now weigh 220 pounds.  this is up 50 plus from last year.  I'm only 30.  I know that I am rambling but I did want to send you what the report actually said.

Please advise.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello.

I was wondering if you have got the B-scan of the eye done. It will be a hasty thinking to consider MS at this point. Your symptoms are more or less limited.

The punctate lesion in the deep white matter may not be related to your vision, at all.

Please check if you can get the eye scan done before you see the Neurologist.

Regards
Rapid weight gain - Cushing Disease or Cushing Syndrome - ????