T2 signal abnormality
E53
Today I received a copy of my MRI report:  Flair and T2 signal abnormality in the left post. frontal white matter, which could be early changes asso. with MS or a low grade glioma.  (I went in with left arm numbness and pain, a suspected pinched nerve).  My neurology appt. is not until the end of January.  Can you give me any insight  into these results?
Hello.

Since the brain lesion is on the left side, it is expected to show effects on the right side. But a careful neurological examination is advised.

Have you also had an MRI of the cervical spine ?

Regards
E53
Yes, it was done (w/wo contrast)  during the same MRI appt.  Impression of radiologist on report: very slight C5-6 and C6-7 spondylosis  (unconsequential) with a very small annular tear at the C6-7 level.  I have no right side symptoms.  A further description on the MR brain- if this matters-  was that the focus mentioned in my original  question  is not seen on the T1 weighted pre-gadolinium sequence but does enhance.  No other signal or enhacement abnormalities. What COULD it be?   Also:  my paternal grandfather had MS onset in his 60´s.  
Thank you, thank you for your comments and time!
E53
Hello.

The annular tear can be responsible for brachial plexus dysfunction, leading to pain and numbness in the upper limbs. When you visit the Neurologist, you can discuss about the role of the annular tear in the causation of pain and numbness.

About the lesion in the brain, it is enhancing suggests a demyelination pathology. Hence, you will need to do the tests for MS.

Regards

E53
Thank you, Dr. A for your insights.  I have an appt for a nerve conduction test (for my arm) on 2 jan.    Although demyelination pathology is not something I wanted to hear (my sister has transverse myelitis) I´ll try to move things forward with the consults and  tests. I suspect there is never such a thing as an "unconsequential" lesion.  And might the annular tear heal?  .....  I will update as to findings.  You will never know how grateful I am that you have graced me with you EXPERTISE and INTEREST.  Information is more consoling than the unknown!   A bountiful and healty 2008!
Hello.

The annular tear may heal with time. but there are chance of it being persistent and the nucleus coming out.

Please keep me posted. I do sound discouraging, but one has to be objective.

Regards
E53
Hello again, Dr. A.  A brief update: my neurologist is concerned with the brain lesion and will see me again on feb 15, with a 3 month followup MRI, this time including the entire spine. I continue, fortunately, asymptomatic.  The EMG revealed severe carpal tunnel in the left wrist with some probable involvement of the C6´67 tear.  The mastoid cell cyst was misread and is really a prefontal sinus cyst (confirmed by 2 HNT Drs and the radiologist).  It doesn´t bother me so I´ll leave it alone.  Thank you again and again for your objective and sound expertise.  II will be sure to keep you posted!   Best wishes.
Dr. A, I recently had an MRI and the radiologist reading is as follows:  Some minimal T2 signal abnormality is noted in the periventricular white matter of the atria of the lateral ventricle, right greater than left.  Except for some minimal right periventricular white matter T2 brightness which is overall nonspecific and minimal is otherwise normal MR brain.  
My father has MS.  My symptoms have been mainly memory loss, difficulty finding words, some sluring of speech and I've had some involuntary eye movement and eye lid twitching although those optic symptoms have not happened in months.  I do have an appointment with a neurologist.  
Could this be MS and is MS hereditary?
I myself am a 45yrold mother of 3 teenage boys and have for mths now been going through alot of test...i was sent to a neourolosgist for numbness in my left leg and arm,plus speech problems and dizziness these are the results of my brain mri....There are several predominantly subcortical high T2signal foci noted in the fronto-parietal white matter,most prominent in the frontal white matter. There are approximately 25 small foci of subcortical increased T2 signal in the supra-tentorial fronto-parietal white matter.Small focus of increased T2signal in the posterior medial left cerebellum. Questionable focus ofincreased T2signal in the mid-anterior medulla is also suggested. The distribution and number of lesions would be consistent with a clinical diagnosis of multiple sclerosis....now i am waiting to see the doctor again to find out where i go from here....what are your comments on this...would be greatly appreciated....kelly
It seems Dr Deshmukh is no more on the Neurology forum. He is a psychiatrist primarily and is currently answering on the Mental Health - International forum. I guess he was answering on this forum earlier as a matter of interest as psychiatrists also have good training in neurology.

I think you can direct your queries towards ggreg or caregiver222. They seem to be here on this forum since a long time.