Neurology Expert Forum
TIA vs seizure

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

TIA vs seizure

Hi- I am 22 years old, and back in June I had an episode that my doctor calls an alteration of awareness. I felt disconnected, dizzy, had a headache, loss of coordination, and weakness (all over). I also had trouble putting words together to answer questions- it took me 30-60 sec to answer simple one word questions.I went to the ER and was given IV fluid, and sent home. I slept for several hours and was fine. I had an array of tests (over 2 weeks that followed)including an MRI, CT (head), and two EEG's. The EEG's were both abnormal, showing slow transients and sharp waves, but no spike-wave pattern. I also have neuro-cardigenic syncope, but take atenolol for this. My doctor witnessed the "event" and did not think it looked like a faint. I saw a neuro, and he was perplexed .I wonder if I didn't have a TIA. I don't think anyone considered this. How likely was it that this was a TIA vs a seizure? I am afraid that something is going to happen again, and that it could be worse. What is the liklihood of this happening again?
Thanks so much
It would be unusual, but not impossible that it could have been a TIA. When young people have strokes it is typically due to an abnormality of the clotting system, an inflammatory disorder, clood vessel disorder, or a abnormality in the heart. Given that the doctors found sharp waves on your EEG it is more likely that this event was a seizure. Sharp waves are abnormal electrical dischrges that indicate the predisposition for seizures. I am unable to predict when and if this may happen again. What I would recommend is seeing an epilepsy doctor at an academic center, we have a great department if you are in the area, who can help sort out this problem. Good luck
1 Comment
A related discussion, Epilepsy & TIA? was started.