Neurology Expert Forum
TLE or Somatization Disorder
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

TLE or Somatization Disorder

I would like to know how a neurologist would differentiate temporal lobe epilepsy from somatization disorder.  I have a lesion in the right temporal lobe and mildly abnormal EEGs evidencing "sharp"waves with some bilateral dysfunction.  
  The only type of seizure I have had is periods of amnesia when on certain medications, anti-depressants and anti-psychotics.  I have read about "Pure Amnesic Syndrome" and it sounds like what happens to me.
  Recently I started taking Dexatrim to lose weight and had another blackout.  I had been told by neurologists in the past that I had a lower seizure threshold.  Would OTCs such as Dexatrim cause a ?seizure?  Or would this be characteristic of "disassociative amnesia" the DSM -IV lists under Somatization Disorder.
  If a person has somatization disorder, where neurologic complaints, including amnesia are listed in the diagnostic criteria, would abnormal EEGs be expected or is this an actual physical problem?  
  After learning that I have somatization disorder I am unsure whether I need to be evaluated for possible seizures.  If the amnesia is psychological in nature rather than physical I am guessing it would not be treated by anti-convulsants.  
  There are no "neuropsychiatrists" in our area so I would like any suggestions on how I should proceed regarding my problem.  Thank you for any advice you can offer.  
  Thanks,  Jackie.
  Ps.  I previously posted a question on TLE but was unable to recall it.
=======================================================================
Dear Jackie:
The differentiation between temporal lobe epilepsy and somatization disorder is done through a battery of tests the most important of which is long term video EEG monitoring where the patient is admitted to the hospital, hooked to EEG and recordings with EEG and video are done continuously till one of more seizures are recorded. At that the differentiation between various types of seizures and other disorders will be made.
If your EEG is abnormal and your MRI is abnormal, the odds that you have epilepsy is high. Therefore I would suggest  the following:
1. Continue anti seizure medications
2. Continue to take all seizure precautions
3. Get a second opinion from an Epileptologist. You may make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic by calling: 1-800 CCF CARE
Good luck