Neurology Expert Forum
Taste and Smell and the Basal Ganglia
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Taste and Smell and the Basal Ganglia

I have had two brain MRI's in the last five months, both done with gadolinium contrast.  The MRI's were performed by separate establishments and examined by different physicians trained to interpret MRI's.

In both cases, the physicians noted a "prominient perivascular space in the left inferior basal ganglia." The oval area on the MRI measured 8mm.  However, since such a "Virchow-Robin" space is considered benign, the two MRI's ultimately were classified as "normal."

Here's the problem:
I suddenly lost much of my sense of taste and smell during the acute onset of several symptoms that prompted these brain MRI's.  I understand that some portion of taste and smell interpretation is processed in the basal ganglia in addition to its primary function of handling motor functions. It is also a fact that people suffering from Parkinson's disease also note a decreased ability to taste/smell early in the disease's course.

Could this "perivascular space" actually be the root cause of my taste/smell dysfunction --perhaps disrupting dopamine production and therefore dampening the ability of my brain to interpret taste and smell? My main concern is that this perivascular space is actually something not nearly as benign as the doctors are being led to believe. While I understand these spaces are pretty common in older adults, wouldn't it seem unusual for an 8mm space to show up in a 35-year-old?