Neurology Expert Forum
Temporal Lobe Lesion
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Temporal Lobe Lesion

Ten years ago I experienced a 12 hour period of amnesia after combining Nardil and cough syrup.  An EEG and Sleep Deprived EEG  showed "slow alpha variant posterior dominat rhythym with right mid-temporal and right posterior temporal sharp discharges".  The MRI indicated a lesion in the right temporal lobe most likely representing a region of encephalomalcia, possibly Mesial Temporal sclerosis.  A second MRI six months later indicated no change and was thought to represent a residual of a previous vascular compromise and/or demelination.
  In 1996 I was on Cloziril and on Zxprexa in 1997 .  On both medications I experienced periods of amnesia.  While on Cloziril I made no memories for a period of eight days.  On the Zxprexa I had frequent blackouts.
  An EEG in 1997 showed rhythmical activity, slowing and sharp wave maximally located in the posterior hemisphere with bilateral bursts of sharp wave and slowing.  The neurologist that I consulted indicated that the blackouts were drug related and not indicative of complex partial seizures.
  My question is what is encephalomalcia and demyelination?  Do lesions change over time?  I have been treated for depression for over ten years and have had various diagnoses from bipolar disorder, OCD to personality disorders.  I have tried over thirty medications with little benefit. I am leary of trying any more antidepressants/antipsychotics for fear of really having a seizure and losing my license.  Should I pursue a second neurological opinion or feel reasonably secure that if I stay away from antipsychotics/neuropleptics I won't have anymore blackouts?
=====================================================================================================
Thanks for the question Jackie. Encephalomalacia refers to scaring of the brain and can be due to a number of abnormalities - vascular problems being one. It is really a non-specific term to denote an area of previous injury. Demyelination refers to scaring related to abnoralities of myelin in the brain. This can be caused by a number of disease processes including multiple sclerosis and viruses. The Temporal lobe, however, is not a common area for demyelinating lesions. I am concerned, however, that the previous EMG revealed sharp wave discharges. I think that you would benefit from a referal to CCF. We have a world renowned epilepsy department that has as one of its major interests temporal lobe abnormalities that cause seizures. For a referal call 216 444 5559. This information is provided for general education purposes only. Please consult your physician regarding any diagnostic or treatment options regarding your particular medical condition. Good luck