Neurology Expert Forum
Temporary Memory loss and a snycope episode

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am a 32 yr old Male in good health and i had a snycope episode a couple of days ago, after the episode i have been having trouble remember names and things in my past, some things have started to come back but there is still a lot that i cannot recall , I have been under a lot of stress due to me going through a divorce while deployed here in iraq is this a permanent thing ? is it temporary and will i regain all of my memory and can you explain what caused the episode.
You should have the syncopal episode evaluated - for example to make sure your heart is ok, see if it was related to dehydration or a blood pressure problem etc. Many cases in young healthy people are from a vasovagal 'faint' - overactivity of the vagal stimulation of the heart (which slows it down) causes the blood pressure to drop, then a faint.
Neurological causes of syncope to be considered (although I cannot be more specific with the information you provide) are seizure, or migraine. From a simple syncope with rapid return of consciousness memory should not be affected. With more prolonged loss of consciouness (like no breathing or heartbeat for a few minutes) or form chronic seizuers, there can be memory difficulties.
Stress could also cause all of these symptoms. Have this checked out by your army neurologist when you can.

Good luck
Hello, I don't have a comment on the episode.  I just wanted to say I am sorry for your troubles especially whilst serving our country in Irag. God Bless You, keep you safe, and you have my prayers.
A related discussion, memory loss was started.
A related discussion, exercise induced syncope + memory loss was started.