Neurology Community
Temporary bilateral weakness/heaviness in arms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have had several episodes of temporary weakness or heaviness in both arms.  The episode doesn't last very long - perhaps a minute or so.  It's happened three times in the past 6 weeks and I remember it happening a couple of other times more than a year ago.  When these episodes ocurred I hadn't been doing any physical exertion.  The weakness and heaviness is in both arms from the shoulders to the hands and is fairly overwhelming when it happens.  It's as if I can't lift my arms or use them.  There isn't really any pain or other symptoms.  Does anyone know whether these symptoms are signifcant - should I see a doctor?  Do you know what causes this to happen?
For the past year or so I've been struck suddenly with this hot flushing bilaterally simultaneously in my arms.  It may begin in the shouilder area or it may begin in the forearms but I can tell a few seconds before it strikes and when it does, my arms ache so that I have to stop what I'm doing immediately and drop them to my side.  It feels like hot molten heavy lead is pouring into them- both- at the exact time.  If I try to lift my arms, it's so painful but I can do it and my hands will shake something terrible during the spell which will last less than a minute.  Afterwards I may feel sapped of strength.  I have tried to think hard on how this feels and I would imagine my arms may feel like this had I had heavy weights attached for a long period of time. I have also developed RLS really severe in the last few years and I was afraid I was having some neurological disease happening but I had a MRI that showed arthritic spurs of the spine  and disc narrowing since I am 57 now.  This painful flushing has occurred even at night, waking me from sleep a couple of time.  Now it is also happening several times with shorter intervals during the day and then I'll go for weeks  w/o a problem.  My only problems are the arthritis mentioned, high bp controlled, and that's about it that I could relate to anything to do with this.  It's debiliating when it happens and I do fear it happening while driving one day and then I don't know what could happen.  Having more and more numbness and tingling in the hands as well lately.  
I have had brief episodes of exteme aches and weakness in my right arm.  Sometimes I even have to lift my right arm with my left.  Since I don't know what it is, I'm unsure whether I need to exercise it with weights perhaps, or just let it rest?

As far as my medical history, I am 70 years old with diabetes.  My right arm has not had the ability to reach or stretch as far as my left ever since I was in my 30's and had my lump nodes removed from under that arm whenI had breast cancer.  

Could that be related?  I have no idea.  I would appreciate any input.

karen