Neurology Community
Testosterone for muscle weakness in females

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have neuromuscular disorder which causes muscle weakness.  My doc has prescribed testosterone which has been compounded into a cream.  After having very dark facial hair  and other problems, I cut the dose down to 1/4 of the prescribed dose, and even took this lesser dose only every other day.  A month later, my blood test showed a testosterone level that is 3 times higher than normal.  The doc still wants me to use it at full dose, every other day.  However, I cut the dose down even further, to 1/4 dose every 3 days.  Now, I'm noticing large lumps of my hair falling out.  I am really getting scared.  Not only am I growing dark hair all over my body, but the hair on my head is falling out.  I am a 54 year old female and had ovaries and uterus removed when I was 42.  I also take estrogen.

My doc insists I need the testosterone for my muscle strength.

Could the testosterone effects be permanent?  I don't want to be bald on my head nor do I want to shave my face twice a day for the rest of my life.

Thank you!