Neurology Community
Tethered Cord Surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tethered Cord Surgery

I am a 56yr old female, born w Spina Bifida...I had spinal closure at birth and have not had any spinal surgery since then...I recently had a lumbar MRI due to severe back pain and leg muscle weakness...it was discovered that I have a "tethered cord" condition...I saw a neurosurgeon who wants to do surgery to release the tethered condition..He gave me the following percentages of the outcome of the surgery:....10-15% could get worse, 25-30% wld remain the same and a 50% chance of it getting better...I am VERY apprehensive abt having surgery at my age given the fact that there is so much built up scar tissue after all these years...Neurosurgeon said that he feels that without the surgery I am going to continue to loose the strength in my legs and will end up in a wheelchair in 5yrs...I wld appreciate your thoughts on this condition and whether you feel that I shld have the surgery or not...thank you...

Hi....I   too have  tethered cord...but  I do not have spina bifida, I have Chiari Malformation  which  is  related  to  SB......

I  was told I  should  have  the  cord  released....and  as you  stated  the odds  of re-tethering  is  there  as  well as some symptoms  remaining...for this  reason and  that  I  do  not have  as  many  issues with mine as  you,  I am  holding off  on the  surgery...as it also  seems  to  be  a  slow recovery  and  I also  have  a condition EDS,which  causes me  to heal  even  slower...so, I will have surgery  if  and  when  my  symptoms/issues change....for now....I  have  bowel and bladder issues  and low back pain as well  as  leg  pain......

What   I would  do  if  I was  in  your  situation is  see  a few  other  Drs  that  specialize in this surgery  and  compare  what  you  are  being told...and go  with  your  gut.

Good  luck and  let  me know what  you  decide.

Hi!!!...thanks for your input and I also have hydrocephalus which is also related to or same as Chiari malformation...I had a shunt placed soon after birth but it has since stopped working...I was only abt 3 when it stopped working but it is still in place...I have yearly CT to check placement of it and any changes that may have occurred...My neurosurgeon requested another CT and a shunt series of X-rays, which I had done a few months ago...Since this is not a common problem it is difficult to find a Dr. familiar w the condition...I am searching for another neurosurgeon for another opinion but my gut is saying just live my life now and wait to see what happens....I will keep you informed as to any decisions I make...Good luck to you,too!!!  

You can  contact any  Chiari specialist  as  they  treat all  related  conditions...TCS,IIH,ICP,CCI,CMI,.....

The  Chiari  Institute is in  Great  Neck, NY....look  there  and  see  if  they  can  help.....
Thank you so much!!!...I had not thought of that.....I will definitely look them up and let you know how I make out!!!

Sounds  great!!   Good  Luck  <3