Tethered cord post op complications
I am 39 yrs old & I had my 3rd spinal cord dethering surgery in Dec. 09. With my other 2 previous surgeries everything went fine, pain was gone. Now with this one I still have the severe pain in the back of my buttocks that radiates down the back of my right leg. I also am compleatly numb in my pelvic region which I did npt have before surgery. I have to straight cath myself 4 times a day & i could not have have a bowel movement without taking laxatives. A week ago I started have a burning sensation at the edge of my rectum. My neurosurgeon said itwas the nerves coming back alive. Now I am having total bowel incontenience. I am a full time college student & can not attend classes due to this. I can not feel anything & I don't know when I'm having a bowel movement. Can anything be done to correct this or am I destined to live out my life in diapers.
Hi.....I don't have answers for u, but wanted to say I am so sorry to hear u r having these issues. I also have tethered cord, but my surgery was replaced with a posterior fossa decompression and the release was put off for now and I am told I will need it in the future.

I know once u have the release it is possible to have to repeat it as the scar tissue can cause it to re tether......Have u been to a post op visit with ur NS?...if so, what does he feel about the issues u now have?

Is this the same surgeon that did ur other surgeries?

I pray this is just a healing process u r going thru and that u feel better soon.

Godspeed
"selma"