Neurology Community
The Amazing Disappearing "Brain tumor."

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

The Amazing Disappearing "Brain tumor."

Three years ago, my doctor did an MRI after months of my having headaches, memory problems and mild motor symptoms. The MRI--to our surprise--showed a 1.8 x 1.5 cm lesion in the pineal region of the brain, partially compressing the tectate portion of the brain stem but not interfering with drainage of fluid in the ventricles. The neurologist consulted believed it was most likely a benign pineal region cyst and it was decided to take a "wait and see" approach to the mass and repeat the MRI in 3 months. On repeat MRI scan 3 months later, no change was noted, and I chose to pretty much ignore the issue unless symptoms became worse and made it evident that the tumor or cyst had decided it was time to play. (I'd been told that my symptoms were not the result of the lesion, and it wasn't changing, so why bother, right?)

Three years later, I finally consented to a repeat scan--this time a CT without contrast--and wonder of wonders--the report came back that there is NOTHING out of the ordinary in my head. While I would be very happy to know that whatever-it-was has magically disappeared, I can't help but wonder if perhaps the CT missed the lesion somehow. My question is whether these things often simply go away on their own and I can forget the whole episode happened or if I should remain somewhat alert to changes in the future.
Thanks in advance!
Ranee