Neurology Community
The Pineal Gland Cyst and Cluster Headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

A year ago I was told I have a pineal gland cyst.  A few months ago I was diagnosed with cluster headaches.  I live in a rural area and there is only 1 Neurologist and I have been waiting 3 months for my appointment.  Today my Doctors office called at 4:29 p.m. and left a message to stop taking Imitrex shots until I see the Neurologist.  My appointment is not until the end of this month.  I tried to call my Doctor back, however, they are closed for the weekend. I haven't needed to use the Imitrex shots for 6 weeks now. However, I am concerned I may get one this weekend.  LOL. And they don't call cluster headaches the suicide headaches without good reason. My question is this?? Do you think there is a correlation with the pineal gland cyst and cluster headaches? Why would they call and tell me to stop taking shots? Could it be they want my body to be clean of the Imitrex for 3 weeks before meeting with the specialist at the end of the month? Thanks so much for any help. LisaP
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there. Imitrex or sumatriptan is an abortative drug, which is used during an attack of cluster or migraine headaches. Cluster headaches are a neurological disease that involves immense pain occurring in bouts. Pineal gland cysts are symptomatic only after 0.5cms and these are headaches, increased sensitivity to light, vertigo, visual disturbances and nausea. Hydrocephalus due to raised intracranial pressure can occur due to obstruction to cerebral aqueduct by the enlarging cyst. You have been asked to stop sumatriptan most likely to differentiate whether the headaches persist without the therapy. The cause of headaches needs to be discerned whether due to pineal cyst or the cluster headache. If the headaches present still at the time of your neurological examination, sumatriptan shot can be given to check for relief, which would confirm the cause to be cluster headaches. Otherwise, pineal cyst needs to be confirmed as the cause and surgically managed. Take care.