Thiamine Deficiency-Severe Problems and Timing
My father was unable to eat for about 2 months due to what turned out to be a bad gallbladder.  It had gotten so bad that it also had impaired his liver function until they took out his gallbladder. For about a week and a half now he has been having some severe forms of psychosis.  He hallucenates, is extremely confused, delirius and has even had some issues in recognizing family members.  They have tested for a stroke and other possible ideas for what could be causing this and all of the tests came back fine.  A friend of ours told us to have them check his thiamine.  After doing so they came in a gave him an injection of thiamine.  My question is: was he thiamine deficient long enough that there is a possibility of him being permanently "stuck" like this or is it possible for him to get better??  His doctors won't give us any answers and I am out of ideas.  Thank you!
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The symptoms described could be due to thiamine deficiency. It causes Wernicke encephalopathy and Korsakoff syndrome. Vitamin B12 deficiency can also cause mood changes or depression and memory loss, disorientation, and dementia. Once the deficiency is corrected his symptoms should improve.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.