Neurology Expert Forum
Thigh Fasics and hand cramping.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Thigh Fasics and hand cramping.
JJ1
I was hoping you could answer a question I have about the location of fasciculations. I had a few thigh fascics about a week ago that lasted for three days on and off. They seem to have gotten better. Prior to that I had a week of Bilateral hand cramping which has also pretty much resolved. I've had fascics before and wasn't to worried until I came across something on ALS that said thigh fascics were characteristic which set me on edge. I saw a neurologist who specializes in Movement DO and he assured me that benign fascics can occur anywhere and he was not aware of any special association with the thigh in ALS. I have no associated weakness or atrophy. The hand cramping worries me because i don't know what caused it. What is the cause of cramping in ALS.
I agree with your neurologist, benign fasciculations can occur anywhere including your thigh.
The mechanism of cramps, in general, are not well understood physiologically (meaning with ALS or any other disease). Note that there is a difference between the perceived sensation of cramp and an actual hard contraction of muscle that leaves it quite tight and painful, which is a real cramp. Cramps can be caused by or seen in a number of states such as electrolyte disorders, exercise (especially with dehydration and sweating), pregnancy, overuse/exertional, possibly some enzyme abnormalities, and muscle diseases.  As your symptoms were transient and not associated with progressive weakness and muscle wasting, it's unlikely that they represent ALS. Good luck.
JJ1
One other thing, the hand cramps started when i was reading in bed holding up a book.
by happenstance are you taking DiovanHCT or other form of HCT for hypertension?

I get cramps like you in the back of my thigh, just like someone stuck a knife in it and was turning it.  If I stop taking the DiovanHCT, it goes away in 2 days.  I've tried different meds like Lisinopril and Lasix and after about a month of taking these it again comes back.
What causes a sharp electrifying pain in the thigh area. It happens maybe 2-3 times a day while just sitting or laying down. It starts out sharp and then it shoots out like electricity?
My dad had ALS that started when he was about 71, died at 75. I'm 63 female, slightly overweight, take medications for high blood pressure, Mircardis/Hct for about 2 years. In the last year or so I've had cramps in my hands, especially the dominate right one, cramps in toes and twice in the last two months in my inside thighs. The cramp woke me at night in the right inside thigh, when I tried to stand, it hurt worse and I felt weak and nauseated. When I shifted the weight to my left leg, a cramp grabbed it at the same place. Standing, sitting, trying to lie down--nothing helped.  My husband tried using a viberator on the
legs or rubbing which didn't help. Finally, he helped hold me up while I tried to keep my weight on the legs and walk. Took about 15 minutes to ease the pain even a little, about an hour before it was gone and this morning, the thighs are still sore.  Any idea what causes it or what to do?

I have been having more and more severe hand cramps to where eating a meal (holding a utensil) or writing becomes extremely painful.Other times they just seem to cramp for no good reason. Driving also does it. The little finger seems to be the biggest culprit on both hands.
I've also gone thru the cramps in the toes and night sweats. I've been taking large doses of prednisone for ulcerative colitis and wonder if there might be a connection. Started at 40mg/day/wk and am now down to 20mg/day/wk and the cramps in the hands are getting worse.
I'm taking supplements of potassium, cacium, magnesium, and a prescribed klonepin for the night cramps. All that seems to do is keep me asleep longer to where the cramp gets deep into the calf. Only 3 hrs sleep last night.
oh, the hand cramps only bother me during the day, the others are not as nice.
please advise.
please advise.
A related discussion, Lower outer thigh muscle pain was started.
A related discussion, hand and thigh cramps was started.