Neurology Expert Forum
Thigh/leg pain 1 yr post hip replacement

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I did not know which "topic" to pick
I had a total hip replacement in June of 2010. The surgery took about 4hrs, doctor said there was a lot more muscle to cut, than he expected.  I have has 2 failed back surgeries and I also have lupus. I take a lot of medication (24 pills a day).  Anyways, I have muscle stiffness in my right thigh with pain that goes straight down to my toes! Morning stiffness is the worse. There are times where the pain is tolerable then I move and there is shear pain that shoots down my leg.  There are times that I could swear I feel the rod in my leg and I can not move my leg without this severe shooting pain down my leg. Now I do have sciatic that is caused from my lower back. I currently take 500mg of lyrica for the nerve pain from my back.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

You have a history of sciatica with failed back surgeries. Most people will not require surgery. If you develop muscle weakness, loss of bowel or bladder control, loss of sensation, particularly in the pelvis and severe and progressive pain, you will need to be re-evaluated again urgently. However, treatment for these types of pains includes medications (non-steroidals such as advil, neuropathic pain meds, such as the pregabalin you are taking), sometimes steroids if there is swelling (edema), temperature therapy (hot or cold packs), stretching and controlled physical therapy, muscle relaxants, and so on. All of the treatment options are best prescribed by an experienced physician since each has its own indication.

One means of assessing the sciatic nerve is with a test called an EMG/NCS, which assesses how fast the nerve conducts electricity and how the muscle responds. This type of test is done by neurologists in most centers. It would be best for you to discuss surgical and non-surgical options with your physician.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Thank-you for the info. I so understand it is hard to figure out what is wrong, but I would like to know what causes the stiffness in the thigh and the severe shooting pain. I am just looking to other avenues to check out. Could this pain be caused by my back? Could the stiffness come from muscle damage…ect. Also, my right thigh on the outside is numb. The leg pain, stiffness and numbness all started after the surgery. I had injections in the scar (hip surgery) the doctor told me I had a lot of scar tissue from the hip surgery.  Any ideas????