Neurology Expert Forum
Thigh pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Thigh pain
I have thigh pain at night usually after I have been asleep for about 5 hours.  Its severe enough to wake me up.  It is on the outside of my left thigh, a burning sensation and sometimes goes down my leg.  This has been going on for quite some time, a few years.  If I lay on my back it stops hurting or if I get up and move around it temporarily stops hurting.  When I walk or lean on that leg it hurts a bit but not as severe as at night.  What could my problem be?
The skin of teh outside of the thigh is supplied by the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve which is often pinched and causes burning, numbness or tingling in that area. It is more common if you have lost or gained weight quickly or wear tight clothes that pinches the nerve. Lying on the nerve may also compress it and cause symptoms which may be why you wake up at night. THe pain take a while to develop, that is why you do not wake up strainght away. Your doctor should evalaute you for any reason for this nerve to be pinched, then try to avoid a position where it is being pinched!
COULD BE MUSCULOSKELETAL--- A HIP IMBALNCE. HOW'S YOR POSTURE???
I have been an over the road truck driver for years and I was diagnosed with MS in 1989 and when I started have pain in my lower back, hip and thigh that hurt so bad I could not stand it I went to a chiropractor.  It took him several weeks but I am pain free now.  My neurologist thought it was a good idea.  The chiropractor uses the gonstead method of chiropractic.  It feels fantastic to wake up without pain nor have it during the day anymore.  Saves a lot on the advil I was taking that I was told could be eating up my liver and kidneys.  No more thight ir back pain.  Out to try it out.  Worked wonders for me
A related discussion, Thigh Pain was started.
A related discussion, Teenage Daughter Thigh Pain was started.
A related discussion, Pain in thigh and hip especially when rolling to side in bed was started.